Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 12:27 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,624,436 times

Advertisements

Many years ago I had a super vet in No. Va. He had a beeper. He was on call for anything. He was like a pediatrician. He took his animal patients and their "parents" seriously. Then I moved and got a series of vets with an office staff member who talked back to me, a vet who was arrested for **** fighting, a vet who told me to put my dog to sleep which we did not do and she lived 8 more years (he later apologized saying he had lost his baby inutero and thought we should lose ours). We moved and had a great vet who moved to open her own practice. Then I got a woman who rolled her eyes when I questioned so many shots at once for an elderly dog. Dog nearly died. Needless to say I changed vets. The best I can say is if you get a vet who is willing to learn and take more classes and encourage her staff to take more classes...that's a good thing and may be the best you can get. And then check online. There are support groups online for various specific illnesses in animals.

A relative felt like her dog had a UTI or diabetes and brought him to the vet for that. Well, the newer vet wanted to give him all the annual shots without checking on his other ailments. Sure enough he conked out. She gave him shots to bring him back and he kept passing out or whatever you'd call it. The last time she couldn't bring him back for a while. She was looking in a book to see what to do. She wouldn't ask the more experienced vet. She finally gave him something more and he came back but was really sluggish. He passed out again at home. And for this she wanted my relative to pay her.

All this to say you really have to be your own advocate.

With my vet I was sure my cat had hyper thyroid. She had all the symptoms. At first the vet didn't want to do the test. I learned to insist nicely. The results began to come back as no problem. Even the T3. The vet was smug but nice. Then the T4. Very high. So I knew the count should be one thing for a normal cat. Another for an elderly cat and still another for an elderly cat with yet another condition, which my cat had. So I wanted to see if the vet knew that. She gave me the count and said it was not right for my cat etc. So she did know all this. She gave me info, meds and took seminars herself and got more great info.

It kind of turns out a lot of vets...not unlike people doctors, or people in any field...are more ready for the average, the norm, the every day. And not always for emergencies...and sorely unprepared for the elderly. Critters human and animal are living a lot longer anymore and getting all the attendent illnesses so there is a growing need for geriatric care.

Oh, you know when you get to talking about pets you can just go on and on. If your cat is older google, check ads, ask around to find a vet that does geriatric care. I hope you find what you need. All the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 01:14 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,624,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
Many years ago I had a super vet in No. Va. He had a beeper. He was on call for anything. He was like a pediatrician. He took his animal patients and their "parents" seriously. Then I moved and got a series of vets with an office staff member who talked back to me, a vet who was arrested for **** fighting, a vet who told me to put my dog to sleep which we did not do and she lived 8 more years (he later apologized saying he had lost his baby inutero and thought we should lose ours). We moved and had a great vet who moved to open her own practice. Then I got a woman who rolled her eyes when I questioned so many shots at once for an elderly dog. Dog nearly died. Needless to say I changed vets. The best I can say is if you get a vet who is willing to learn and take more classes and encourage her staff to take more classes...that's a good thing and may be the best you can get. And then check online. There are support groups online for various specific illnesses in animals.

A relative felt like her dog had a UTI or diabetes and brought him to the vet for that. Well, the newer vet wanted to give him all the annual shots without checking on his other ailments. Sure enough he conked out. She gave him shots to bring him back and he kept passing out or whatever you'd call it. The last time she couldn't bring him back for a while. She was looking in a book to see what to do. She wouldn't ask the more experienced vet. She finally gave him something more and he came back but was really sluggish. He passed out again at home. And for this she wanted my relative to pay her.

All this to say you really have to be your own advocate.

With my vet I was sure my cat had hyper thyroid. She had all the symptoms. At first the vet didn't want to do the test. I learned to insist nicely. The results began to come back as no problem. Even the T3. The vet was smug but nice. Then the T4. Very high. So I knew the count should be one thing for a normal cat. Another for an elderly cat and still another for an elderly cat with yet another condition, which my cat had. So I wanted to see if the vet knew that. She gave me the count and said it was not right for my cat etc. So she did know all this. She gave me info, meds and took seminars herself and got more great info.

It kind of turns out a lot of vets...not unlike people doctors, or people in any field...are more ready for the average, the norm, the every day. And not always for emergencies...and sorely unprepared for the elderly. Critters human and animal are living a lot longer anymore and getting all the attendent illnesses so there is a growing need for geriatric care.

Oh, you know when you get to talking about pets you can just go on and on. If your cat is older google, check ads, ask around to find a vet that does geriatric care. I hope you find what you need. All the best.
Oh, my. Just noticed some sort of automated blocking out of a word in my post on vets. Make that rooster fighting then A vet into rooster fighting.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:43 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,350,110 times
hahaha, I figured it was along those lines. Thanks!

Old 02-05-2013, 05:53 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
Oh, my. Just noticed some sort of automated blocking out of a word in my post on vets. Make that rooster fighting then A vet into rooster fighting.
Hehe, it was easy enough to figure out.

In the words of the immortal Mr. Carlin: that is a two-way word, dirty half the time. It's not one of the ones you can NEVER say on the public airwaves. But it is enough for this forum's filter. The filter is not smart enough to determine the context so it just has to filter it all the time.

I don't think it filters ass though, right? Nope. So if you want to talk about donkeys, we're okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats