Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 04:31 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times

Advertisements

Finally moving to my own apartment, and won't have to worry about roommates ever again. To reward myself I want to get a pet. I have read that having two kittens is better than one? Since I'll still be living in an apartment, Ill have to have indoor cats or at least 85-90% indoor.

I could see a benefit to having two cats if they're indoors to keep them in shape and allow them to burn up energy while still being inside. However, one thing I don't know about is if they could hurt eachother? I refuse to declaw cats, so would it be possible for them to hurt eachother?

I've grown up with cats my entire life, but we've only had 1 at a time, they have also always been able to go outside whenever.

Looking to buy kittens only, but I will be getting them from a rescue shelter or human society so please no lectures on that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 04:46 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,354,404 times
Usually you will find littermates and I think that a couple from a litter is a great idea! I don't think they would really hurt each other, but they may play and fight some. When I have had more than one cat it was never really an issue.

Just be sure to have them fixed at the appropriate time. I would also suggest keeping them as inside only.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:50 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Usually you will find littermates and I think that a couple from a litter is a great idea! I don't think they would really hurt each other, but they may play and fight some. When I have had more than one cat it was never really an issue.

Just be sure to have them fixed at the appropriate time. I would also suggest keeping them as inside only.

Chances are I'll only get one since I'd be living in a 1br apt, unless there's a huge advantage to having two cats.

I always feel bad making a cat completely indoors, I'd let it out a little bit, but definitely not too much because a big parking lot can be dangerous.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:54 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,514,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Finally moving to my own apartment, and won't have to worry about roommates ever again. To reward myself I want to get a pet. I have read that having two kittens is better than one? Since I'll still be living in an apartment, Ill have to have indoor cats or at least 85-90% indoor.

I could see a benefit to having two cats if they're indoors to keep them in shape and allow them to burn up energy while still being inside. However, one thing I don't know about is if they could hurt eachother? I refuse to declaw cats, so would it be possible for them to hurt eachother?

I've grown up with cats my entire life, but we've only had 1 at a time, they have also always been able to go outside whenever.

Looking to buy kittens only, but I will be getting them from a rescue shelter or human society so please no lectures on that
There are bucketfuls of kittens in shelters. You will have your pick.

Please, yes, please please please, do take 2 kittens, not one. They need each other for company and play and no, they will not hurt each other. I have 10 cats and 2 are kittens and they get along fabulously and the big cats never hurt them, either.

Please know that your cats are far safer indoors 100% of the time. I used to let some of my cats out part time and regret it and stopped. Indoor cats can get plenty of exercise if you provide climbing areas and toys and will not be bored at all, esp if you have window seats (which is a must) so that they can watch the world go by. There are all kinds of window platforms that you can install fast and they are not expensive. Just google them.

I would never have one cat all alone.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:55 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,938,692 times
Agree with Martha.....TWO TWO TWO!!

My five have never fought. They have never been declawed nor ever will be. Yes they may have an occasional disagreement and sometimes the play fighting looks more serious than it really is but they really do all love each other and I never feel bad leaving them when I have to go out for a few hours.

You should be able to find litter mates or a bonded pair through a rescue or shelter with no problem.

Wishing you the best in your kitty search!!

Old 02-17-2013, 05:04 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,492,573 times
I vote for two because... We have 7. No one has ever been hurt by another. The worst is a bit of hissing from time to time. They are indoor only. The ones that were outdoor cats before... transitioned quite well to being indoor only.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:03 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,989,759 times
Quote:
Have a plan just in case you should be laid off or lose your job in some way. What happens to the cats if you have to take in roommates or move back home?

Quote:
Adopt a bonded pair or littermates. Keep their claws trimmed.

Quote:

Indoor cats are the way to go. They live longer and healthier lives.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:07 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,989,759 times
Quote:
Chances are I'll only get one since I'd be living in a 1br apt, unless there's a huge advantage to having two cats.
That's not the best idea if you work and will be gone all day and some evenings and weekends. Get two. Get littermates. It costs very little more to have 2 cats rather than one.

Quote:
I always feel bad making a cat completely indoors, I'd let it out a little bit, but definitely not too much because a big parking lot can be dangerous.
Wouldn't you feel even worse if your cat was crippled by a car or some neighborhood sadist and you ended up with a vet bill in the hundreds if not the thousands of dollars? That is unless you put a cat-safe harness on him and take him outside yourself. Make sure the harness is cat-safe as some on the market are a joke, the cats wiggling out of them in seconds.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:34 AM

20,382 posts, read 14,651,390 times
I'll tell you how it happened for me, I fell in love with this one kitten. He was The One and I had to have him. I was prepared to bring home a second, if he was bonded to another cat, but it turned out that was not the case--in fact he didn't get along well with the other cats at this rescue. So he came home as the solo kitty...and he has not suffered any ill effects from this, even though we're all gone all day at work/school. He has plenty of toys, nice nap spots, windows to look out of, and invisible things to chase around (because it's totally his his favorite hobby, chasing invisible things.) He entertains himself just fine.

I'd say be openminded about it, and don't feel bad if you only wind up with one. That can work just fine, too. Be very sure you're ready for the responsibility...it's cool with your landlord, you have a backup plan if you experience a financial crisis, you can afford any necessary vet care, etc. And then double that responsibility if you bring home 2 kitties.

And don't let it/them outside, unless on a harness & leash. I am scoping out some cool harnesses online right now, I need to get Nimbus a velcro one, I think he can get out of the nylon strap one I got from Petco (didn't give him enough of a chance to accomplish his escape, but he was working on it.) Many cats adapt well to walking on a leash, and it's cool to do, and if you really feel that the cat needs to explore outside, that's the best and safest way. Google up "Velcro cat harness" and you'll see what I'm looking at.

Keep us posted on your new cat(s)!

Old 02-18-2013, 12:29 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Two. Get two. They spend most of their day sleeping anyway but when it's play time, it's good for them to have a playmate of their own species in addition to you.

And keep them indoors.

If you want to take them outside, train them on a leash. Too many bad people out there, please don't take chances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats