Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 04:02 PM

2 posts, read 13,176 times

Advertisements

I had 3 cats up to a month ago. 2 of them were sisters and the 3rd an adoption. 1 of the sisters died 2 months ago and the 2nd sister has gotten very aggressive toward the 3rd cat. I think its because of the loss of the sister but I dont know.

Last edited by Azriel1; 10-15-2007 at 04:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 07:13 PM

1,684 posts, read 3,953,253 times
Default do cats grieve

yes. My boss had 2 cat, sisters. When one died at 17, the second one would sit on the floor by the bookcase holding her sisters cremains and tips her head like she was listening and talking. now they are side by side in the bookcase in matching ceramic boxes with cats hand painted on them. When my old guy passed away, the other two would run up the stairs and leapfrog the spot at the head of the stairs where he always slept. 5 years later, they still do and have taught my moms cats to do the same. Her kitten sniffs at the spot and looks at it curiously. I think Mooch is still sleeping there. (yes, I've cleaned the carpet).

Last edited by littlelou; 10-15-2007 at 07:13 PM.. Reason: doesn't like a word I typed

Old 10-15-2007, 07:45 PM

301 posts, read 1,546,569 times
I think they feel something.Not sure what but cats and dogs do act different when a very familar other cat or dog disapair out of there daily routine.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:37 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
I've two related stories which lead me to say "yes."

"George" came into my house already as an old (14 years) cat. His owners were leaving and were unable to take him with them so I finally agreed to take him in. Right from the get-go, George fit in to a multi-cat household with no problem and became the proverbial grandfather. He gently taught a new kitten the rules of the house, i.e. "try and eat out of MY food bowl and I will gently take my large paw, place it on top of your tiny head and pin you down while I continue eating..."

George slowed down, went quite deaf (slept right through a devastating hurricane!) and then one day (he was 21 by then) he came bouncing into the kitchen to eat, purred up a storm and then in sprightly fashion went outside. Curious as to this sudden boost of energy I followed him out and watched as he picked a nice patch of sun, curled up and went to sleep.

When I left for work I asked my then-housemate to keep an eye on him. A couple of hours later, Don called me at my office to say he had to go out for a bit but that George was now sleeping under one of the cars in the driveway. An hour or so later, Don called again upon his return with an astonishing story.

As he drove in, George was still curled up under the car but was quietly encircled by the other five cats, as though on a vigil. Don went over there and, as the cats remained there quietly watching, discovered that George was dead. They only quietly dispersed when Don removed his body for burial.

The other story concerns brother and sister Nicholas and Alexandra who I had raised since their mother left them (they were so young I had to bottle-feed them for a couple of weeks!) They were totally devoted to each other and it was a sad day when Nicholas, at the age of 18, was finally euthanized at home after he lost the use of his back legs. He was buried in a lovely spot in the back yard and Alexandra somehow knew the exact spot and spent her final year quietly sleeping right on top of his grave in the sun. Late one night she begged to go outside which was unheard of. I gently pushed her back inside. In the early hours of the morning I awoke to note her absence on the bed and found her dead right by the back door.

So, yes, I do believe that animals grieve.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:15 AM

2,919 posts, read 6,827,486 times
My answer would have to be... Yes.

My house is very quiet this morning, much much too quiet.

One of my babies crossed the bridge yesterday, and her sister has hardly moved... I coaxed her into eating a bit yesterday and she sat with me for awhile, but she is back on her blanket now and very quiet. They were inseparable and it was often hard to tell where one of them ended and the other began.

Even my boy, who only joined the family a couple of years ago and is a constant and loud 'talker' has been very quiet... he hasn't even begged to go sit on the porch like he does several times a day. There is so much more, but I can't seem to find my words right now.

Old 10-17-2007, 04:35 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,273,545 times
What wonderful stories. I got chills just reading them.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:12 PM

356 posts, read 1,129,028 times
Absolutely. We had 4 cats. The 2 oldest were 13 and 16. Three months ago we had to euthanize the 13 year old and the 16 year old went rapidly downhill when he was gone. We had to have the 16 year old put down 3 weeks ago. It was heartbreaking and I firmly believe the death of the first affected the other. Now, as for the other 2 !?!?! I don't think they noticed too much. They were withdrawn while the other two were declining in health but now that they own the roost their personalities have blossomed.

Old 10-28-2007, 04:59 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,146,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azriel1 View Post
I had 3 cats up to a month ago. 2 of them were sisters and the 3rd an adoption. 1 of the sisters died 2 months ago and the 2nd sister has gotten very aggressive toward the 3rd cat. I think its because of the loss of the sister but I dont know.
Four years ago my female cat (I had three, 2 males and 1 female) was hit by a car and killed (on my birthday, no less). Before the ex and I buried her I let the male cats see her body and have a sniff so they'd know what happened to her.

The dynamic changed forever...and I mean FOREVER. One of the male cats was very attached to her and has never been the same since; four years later he is still very clingy and gets pouty if I leave him over a weekend (with plenty of food and water). The other one was a little withdrawn for a while but he got over it...but the two male cats fight a lot more often than they used to. The ex and I got an elderly female cat to round out the numbers again and both male cats still try to engage her like they did the dead one.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:07 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,510,696 times
Yes they do!!! And also they grieve over a loss of a human!! I lost my wife 4 years ago and for all most a year are 1+ year old female cat would........ with out warning in the middle of the night start howling.... my wife passed away at home and the paramedics had too put her on the floor for resuscitation, this is where the cat would sit and howl....

Old 10-28-2007, 08:51 PM

618 posts, read 1,610,295 times
Yes, they certainly do!
I had two cats, a orange tiger (male) and a calico (female) and they were brother and sister.
When the sister died, the male just walked around the house all day for about a week or two howling the saddest tune
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats