Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 10:57 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times

Advertisements

Since I found her last Nov her right eye would sometimes tear for no reason we could see. It would tear and she would squint but it only lasted for an hour or so. We didn't think much of it since the eye was perfectly normal other wise.... and she runs around like crazy plus wrestles with the other cats.

This afternoon we get back from picking up the RV at the shop and notice her eye is CLOUDY! . The liquid part was clouded... I ran to the phone and called the vet. They said bring her in as soon as you can get here. We rushed her there and she was diagnosed with Anterior Uveitis. She has 3 different meds. One is an antibiotic and two go in her eye. The poor baby lets us treat her even though the eye med seems to be painful. This can be a serious condition. She sees the vet again on Friday. The bill came to $82.36 and the last med has to be picked up in the morning at CVS Pharmacy = $16. We're naturally pretty upset tonight.

The hell with the cost, we don't want to lose her or have her go blind in that eye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 05:30 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
So sorry to hear this.....I know how you feel. I sure hope everything turns out well and she heals quickly and completely.

As far as the eye medicine, it might be hurting her or maybe she just doesn't like having something put in her eye period.

Either way, how about having her favorite treat at the ready......to give to her immediately after you put the meds in her eye.....maybe it will distract her from the pain.....know what I mean?

I know whenever I put regular eye drops in.....they sting a tiny bit the first few seconds.....a big spoonful of my favorite ice cream shoved in my face would certainly distract me from the pain. LOL

Keep in mind too.....perhaps as the medicine starts to work....it won't hurt as much because the eye itself will have begun to heal and won't be as irritated.

From what I know of you from reading your posts.....she couldn't be in better hands.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post

From what I know of you from reading your posts.....she couldn't be in better hands.
Thanks Annie. I'm going to do my best to have this taken care of and medicate her as the vet said to do, and on time. Our main worry is this may be a serious systemic virus. She act so normal though as if nothing is wrong. And she's gained weight and is growing rapidly.

Our other fear is our other 3 cats catching some virus from her.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:42 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Wow.....I just googled Anterior Uveitis......how scary.

Did your vet figure out the cause in Callie's case?

Another thing.....it says the condition itself is painful and one of the eye meds is to help decrease the pain.

One thing to remember when it comes to your fear of the other cats catching this from Callie. {if it is from a virus}

Callie probably caught this before you took her in, when her general health wasn't up to par and she was vulnerable.....so I doubt your other kitties will catch it if they are in good health. I wouldn't worry about it unless the vet said said you needed to worry about it. You already have enough to worry about just with Callie.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:16 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
I'm sorry you and your baby are going through this. But I have to say....when I saw how much it costs my immediate thought was "Dang, that's cheap!" I'm sure around here it would have been closer to $150 including the meds. I don't think I've been to the vet for just a regular office visit for what your emergency cost. But I know we all will go to the last mile and penny to care for our babies.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:39 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
So sorry to hear about Callie!!!! I hope she is feeling a little better this morning -- please keep us posted on your sweet kitty!

Old 04-23-2013, 07:58 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Poor thing. Good luck with the treatment. Apparently much of the time it is not possible to come up with a cause. And yes I agree, although unexpected vet bills are always hard on the budget, that vet bill is quite reasonable.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:57 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,573,621 times
I hope this clears up soon Callie feels better soon. Can the vet tell if this is a viral condition? Never had anything quite like that happen but I am so thankful that you noticed her eye turning cloudy and getting her to the vet so quickly. I agree with no kudzu - I actually thought that was fairly cheap from my experience. When it comes to one of the kids - we pony up whatever it takes. I am heartened by what Annie53 said - one of the drops could be numbing the pain - Callie must be miserable. I think she is in excellent hands with you taking care of her. Please keep us updated on her progress and what the vet says may have caused it. I certainly hope nobody else gets sick, and she makes a full recovery.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:25 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
All paws crossed for Callie's quick recovery. Give her a pet for me.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Wow.....I just googled Anterior Uveitis......how scary.

Did your vet figure out the cause in Callie's case?
No. She said it's often not known what the cause is. And there are so many things that can cause it.

Quote:
Another thing.....it says the condition itself is painful and one of the eye meds is to help decrease the pain.
Yes, true, but she doesn't act like she has pain in her eye. In any case we're using the meds and one is indeed for pain and inflammation. She's a "high energy" kitty and was running around like crazy this morning so I know she feels OK. She's so sweet and so good about it all. Already her eye looks improved.

Quote:
One thing to remember when it comes to your fear of the other cats catching this from Callie. {if it is from a virus}

Callie probably caught this before you took her in, when her general health wasn't up to par and she was vulnerable.....so I doubt your other kitties will catch it if they are in good health. I wouldn't worry about it unless the vet said said you needed to worry about it. You already have enough to worry about just with Callie.
Yes, this is true. The others are indeed fine and showing no signs of anything being wrong. All the other three had that common URI when we got them several years ago... Callie could have caught something from THEM since that virus, or a similar one, can live in a cat all their lives!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats