Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 12:53 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,716,319 times

Advertisements

Have you ever used these?

Amazon.com: Contech StayAway Motion-Activated Pet Deterrent: Pet Supplies

Amazon.com: SSSCAT Cat Training Aid: Pet Supplies

Neighbor's kitten just matured and now some random cat keeps wandering onto the property spraying. The outdoor stray cat must be fixed because the smell is not extreme? The neighbors are moving so the unfixed cat will be gone soon, but I don't want the outdoor strays to move onto my property for a pee party. The neighbor wants a quick cheap solution as well.

Anyone use these outdoors? I like that this is a cheap, waterless, non-toxic, wireless solution. Any other suggestions welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 05:43 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,591,664 times
Tell the neighbors to spay/neuter their cat and keep the cat inside.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:12 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,812,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Tell the neighbors to spay/neuter their cat and keep the cat inside.
Great advice..... any idea if the spray the OP asked about works when they refuse?

Old 05-08-2013, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Great advice..... any idea if the spray the OP asked about works when they refuse?
Sure. Go to the ssscat website, read the FAQ, or contact the manufactuer and ask if they can be used outside.

The last line in the original post is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Any other suggestions welcome.
My suggestion is the OP educate the neighbors on spaying and neutering and actually assist in having it done, if necessary. If the cat is female, Ssscat won't deter determined toms for long, if at all.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Sure. Go to the ssscat website, read the FAQ, or contact the manufactuer and ask if they can be used outside.

The last line in the original post is:

My suggestion is the OP educate the neighbors on spaying and neutering and actually assist in having it done, if necessary. If the cat is female, Ssscat won't deter determined toms for long, if at all.
If only it was as simple as educating people. Reality is many don't care about their pets or their neighbors. I had to sue a neighbor whose tom cat destroyed a brand new expensive set of patio furniture with it's spraying and clawing. The neighbor kept insisting the cat wasn't his right up until I provided video evidence of the cat coming in and out his front door while he held it open. Needless to say, he was on the hook for the cost of my furniture, the court costs and my legal fees. Some people are just stupid, uncaring and rude. No amount of "education" is going to make them change.

Doesn't sound like this product is a great solution. A large, anti-cat dog may be a better option.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:53 AM

Quote:
If only it was as simple as educating people. Reality is many don't care about their pets or their neighbors. I had to sue a neighbor whose tom cat destroyed a brand new expensive set of patio furniture with it's spraying and clawing. The neighbor kept insisting the cat wasn't his right up until I provided video evidence of the cat coming in and out his front door while he held it open. Needless to say, he was on the hook for the cost of my furniture, the court costs and my legal fees. Some people are just stupid, uncaring and rude. No amount of "education" is going to make them change.

Doesn't sound like this product is a great solution. A large, anti-cat dog may be a better option.
That may be true, but it can't hurt to try. They certainly won't change if they aren't given the opportunity. Some people really are that ignorant. Ignorant as in uneducated about a certain topic. There really are people in the world who still haven't heard of spaying and neutering. I see it every day in my rounds of the many pet forums I read.

The learning has to start somewhere. If everyone says "why bother", yes there will be no change, ever. If everyone says "well I will at least try to inform", you never know when that effort may pay off. Even if only one person gains knowledge that is progress, and they generally like to pass it on as their own, so things can snowball a little even. It's always worth the effort.

Your suggestion about the dog is not funny, it's sick.

Last edited by catsmom21; 05-08-2013 at 07:10 AM..

Old 05-08-2013, 07:13 AM

Quote:
That may be true, but it can't hurt to try. They certainly won't change if they aren't given the opportunity. Some people really are that ignorant. Ignorant as in uneducated about a certain topic. There really are people in the world who still haven't heard of spaying and neutering. I see it every day in my rounds of the many pet forums I read.

The learning has to start somewhere. If everyone says "why bother", yes there will be no change, ever. If everyone says "well I will at least try to inform", you never know when that effort may pay off. Even if only one person gains knowledge that is progress, and they generally like to pass it on as their own, so things can snowball a little even. It's always worth the effort.
IMO, spay and neuter is only part of the issue. Even if every cat owner had their pet sterilized, I think cats should be subject to the same leashing/no roaming laws as dogs. Just as others don't want my dog on their property, I don't want anyone's cat on mine. Roaming cats kill song birds, encroach on and destroy private property and are a general nuisance. Some people see this as a cat's right and are loathe to keep them inside even though doing so is better for the cat's health and longevity. Until forced to do so (and subject to being fined) some owners are going to continue to do as they please regardless of the impact to their pets and neighbors.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:14 AM

I am not paying for someone elses pet that is for sure. I have cameras so any cat that does is on video. Good to hear that you were able to get your patio furniture replaced. I know they have low cost programs for that and I think this cat may actually be fixed? It's spray is not strong like some cat sprays I have experienced where you just want to throw up when it hits you.

The problem is that cats can roam long distances to do this (miles) and the cat that is showing up doesn't have a collar. No one knows who it belongs to if anyone at all. My guess it was a dumped xmas kitten because the neighbor without cameras a couple houses down was having a mystery cat spray around january and trash ripped into. They don't have cameras and it was happening late at night and then just stopped. The unfixed neighbor's cat that is moving may of done it but that cat is kept indoors now so its not him at the owners house outside. It also has a collar and looks totally different than the cat on the security camera that creeps onto the property. They are moving in a couple weeks so fixing the cat is already planned after the move.

I wish I could get a dog but the neighbors next door actually have a pitbull that does bark at people it doesn't know. Its scent so far has not affected the spray cat. Its never left outside unattended or to go after any strays. The owner of the pitbull doesn't think its the best idea to train her dog to attack cats anyway since she has a cat now. Can't say I argue with that one.

In my searching last night I saw someone mention that it actually made this insane tom start spraying even more! My last resort will be calling animal control.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:20 AM

Quote:
IMO, spay and neuter is only part of the issue. Even if every cat owner had their pets sterilized, I think cats should be subject to the same leashing/no roaming laws as dogs. Just as others don't want my dog on their property, I don't want anyone's cat on mine. Roaming cats kill song birds, encroach on and destroy private property and are a general nuisance. Some people see this as a cat's right and are loathe to keep them inside even though doing so is better for the cat's health and longevity. Until forced to do so (and subject to being fined) some owners are going to continue to do as they please regardless of the impact to their pets and neighbors.

My cat growing up was fixed and grew up an outdoor cat. She starting going in the neighbors flowers so I redid the bed put some cocoa powder and orange peels down. It wasn't ONLY my cat as they set up a camera and saw it was 5 additional cats. They ended up having to call animal control to pick up live catch traps. I put an extra litter box inside for my cat. Problem solved. But this cat may be homeless. I would take it in myself if I could but its not an option.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
I am not paying for someone elses pet that is for sure. I have cameras so any cat that does is on video. Good to hear that you were able to get your patio furniture replaced. I know they have low cost programs for that and I think this cat may actually be fixed? It's spray is not strong like some cat sprays I have experienced where you just want to throw up when it hits you.

The problem is that cats can roam long distances to do this (miles) and the cat that is showing up doesn't have a collar. No one knows who it belongs to if anyone at all. My guess it was a dumped xmas kitten because the neighbor without cameras a couple houses down was having a mystery cat spray around january and trash ripped into. They don't have cameras and it was happening late at night and then just stopped. The unfixed neighbor's cat that is moving may of done it but that cat is kept indoors now so its not him at the owners house outside. It also has a collar and looks totally different than the cat on the security camera that creeps onto the property. They are moving in a couple weeks so fixing the cat is already planned after the move.

I wish I could get a dog but the neighbors next door actually have a pitbull that does bark at people it doesn't know. Its scent so far has not affected the spray cat. Its never left outside unattended or to go after any strays. The owner of the pitbull doesn't think its the best idea to train her dog to attack cats anyway since she has a cat now. Can't say I argue with that one.

In my searching last night I saw someone mention that it actually made this insane tom start spraying even more! My last resort will be calling animal control.
I would never do that either. My dog is never left out unattended in my fenced back yard, but should I happen to look out and see a cat digging in my garden in advance of leaving me a "gift", I will let my 22 lb dog out. He could never catch a cat and has never tried, but just his presence in the yard is enough for the cat to depart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats