Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 11:24 AM

1 posts, read 891 times

Advertisements

I have this small Calico cat named Wee pee she is almost 9 (My uncle named her), she is a very tiny cat and last year she had a healthy weight on her (Even though she looked pregnet) Well she stopped eating her dry cat food this year in Feb. and I have her on strictly wet cat food. She is still a little over 6 pounds but, my mom has asked me about feeding her Wet kitten food or mixing PetAg KMR Milk Replacer for Kittens in her food to fatten her up, She has Hyperthyroidism and is Blind from getting in a fight with a stray male cat. My mom thinks she is on her last legs because she almost died 5 times but, but I still have hope for my little kitty

I know I am pobley posting this on the wrong thread, but I need advice for my cat.

P.s She is extreamly happy and full of energy and doesn't seem to be in pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 11:30 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,574,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy Bourriaque View Post
I have this small Calico cat named Wee pee she is almost 9 (My uncle named her), she is a very tiny cat and last year she had a healthy weight on her (Even though she looked pregnet) Well she stopped eating her dry cat food this year in Feb. and I have her on strictly wet cat food. She is still a little over 6 pounds but, my mom has asked me about feeding her Wet kitten food or mixing PetAg KMR Milk Replacer for Kittens in her food to fatten her up, She has Hyperthyroidism and is Blind from getting in a fight with a stray male cat. My mom thinks she is on her last legs because she almost died 5 times but, but I still have hope for my little kitty

I know I am pobley posting this on the wrong thread, but I need advice for my cat.

P.s She is extreamly happy and full of energy and doesn't seem to be in pain.

Have you had her to the vet for a checkup and blood work? Is she taking meds for the hyperthyroidism? Nine years is senior but in no way at the end of life for a cat - she should still have many years ahead of her. If she is not eating well she could have tooth issues that need to be resolved. The blood workup could detect kidney function issues, the thyroid needs to be rechecked to see if her dosage needs to be adjusted, and just to make sure she is as healthy as she could be. If she has not had a recent checkup I would not hesitate to make an appointment for her. Good luck!!!

Old 06-01-2013, 11:34 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,995,469 times
I agree with, and would only be repeating what CFoulke said.

And the blindness from a fight only reinforces my belief that cats should be kept indoors-only.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:40 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
I agree with the above posters. Start by getting your kitty checked out at the dr, keep her indoors, and go from there.

Old 06-01-2013, 02:56 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,162,988 times
What the others said.

Please take her to the vet. Also, cats are very stoic and prone to hiding pain and discomfort so just because she "doesn't appear to be in pain" doesn't actually mean she isn't.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:05 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
I would take her to the vet first and have her checked over and ask specifically about her not eating the dry food if that is what she had before. My girls switch between wet and dry and Suze Quze my indoor/outdoor girl goes straight for the dry kibble as soon as she comes in the house from running around outside, climbing trees, chasing moths and generally playing like kittens do. My indoor only girl will nibble a wee bit on the dry throughout the day here and there. One or two pieces of kibble and she is ready for a nap, she is a snacker though.

Your girl may appear to not be in pain but that does not mean she is not in pain. Just have her checked and see what the results are, then you can make well informed decisions as to what should be done to keep your girl healthy.

I would not quit letting her go outside though, if that is where she is happy and you force her to stay inside she is going to be miserable and will always be at the door trying to get out. Accidents happen, fights happen, it is a cat thing and she is lucky to have you to take her to be checked and healed with proper medical care.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:44 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
I agree with, and would only be repeating what CFoulke said.

And the blindness from a fight only reinforces my belief that cats should be kept indoors-only.
...because indoor cats never fight...

Say that to my first cat, whose abscess I had to clean out myself because there was no emergency vet service where I lived at the time she was attacked by my housemate's cat and clawed over her eye. Inside the house. She got a couple of bites in before she finally found a hiding place but that housemate's cat was relentless and I almost lost my cat.

I do agree with the entire first response from CFoulke, and I -do- believe domestic cats should be indoors or under *direct* supervision outdoors (such as on a harness, or hanging out with AnonChick while she weeds the garden, for example). But indoor-only cats don't have any immunity to getting into a fight and getting injured, if there are other indoor cats living in the house.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:57 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,995,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
...because indoor cats never fight...
Are you thinking cats that know each other BLIND each other? They can't blind each other when the person has only one cat. They can only blind each other if the single cat is allowed outside unsuprivised.

Quote:
Say that to my first cat, whose abscess I had to clean out myself because there was no emergency vet service where I lived at the time she was attacked by my housemate's cat and clawed over her eye. Inside the house. She got a couple of bites in before she finally found a hiding place but that housemate's cat was relentless and I almost lost my cat.
And these two cats were roommates from the start? Or they were forced on each other as adults? Did one of you already live there and the other moved in with the second cat? In my experience with cats since the mid 1950s, cats that are roommates don't suddenly, out of the blue, decided to KILL the other cat or cats in the house. By KILL I mean seriously damage or blind the other cat/s. My cats get into scuffles at times but blood is never shed and no one get abscesses. Cats that go outdoors are more likely to get into dangerous vicious fights with other cats. Cats they barely know or don't know at all - but not the cats they live with. As an example look at the cats living wild in cat colonies. They may hiss and spit at each other and take swipe at each other. It's only when a queen is in heat that the males will fight to bloody messes but other than that, you will not see cats blinded by fights and with infected abscesses draining....... again, other than the intact males who may not only lose an eye (rare) but will have shredded ears.

Quote:
I do agree with the entire first response from CFoulke, and I -do- believe domestic cats should be indoors or under *direct* supervision outdoors (such as on a harness, or hanging out with AnonChick while she weeds the garden, for example). But indoor-only cats don't have any immunity to getting into a fight and getting injured, if there are other indoor cats living in the house.
I disagree that cats living together get into fights to the point one is blinded. Don't take everything you see on Jason's show as gospel. Drama is added and scripted in. And, from all the shows I saw with cats fighting - all those cats were forced on each other as adults. One person moving in with another and bringing an adult cat into the old established cat's home. A whole other situation and nothing to do with cat-fights out in the street.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:01 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
I disagree that cats living together get into fights to the point one is blinded. Don't take everything you see on Jason's show as gospel. Drama is added and scripted in. And, from all the shows I saw with cats fighting - all those cats were forced on each other as adults. One person moving in with another and bringing an adult cat into the old established cat's home. A whole other situation and nothing to do with cat-fights out in the street.
I don't know what you're referring to. I generally don't watch TV.

And you're derailing. You stated that *because* of cats that get into fights, you're in favor of indoor-only cats. I said that indoor-only cats are not immune to getting into fights, when there are multi-cat household situations. Now you're going on about my specific situation and how my cat was brought in as an adult and blah blah blah...but that isn't what you stated, and has nothing to do with what you stated.

Your opinion is based on faulty logic:
"Indoor only cats don't ever get into fights."
This is not true. Sometimes - indoor-only cats DO get into fights, and are blinded, by other animals in the house. Not just cats. Dogs too. And sometimes toddlers. And sometimes their owners, and sometimes mice that bite back and kitty gets infected before anyone even knows she was bitten.

Indoor-only cats are not immune to fights, nor to becoming blind, nor to being injured by anything that lives in that home with them.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:46 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,055,578 times
I would agree with others above. Take her to your vet for a checkup and blood work. My cat lost some weight and after blood work was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. She's on meds now and has put some of the weight back on. If your cat is already on meds for it maybe she needs an adjustment, but you won't know unless you take her in. Hope she will be okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats