Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2013, 05:14 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times

Advertisements

We are taking care of a male 3 year old cat temporarily for someone who has been deployed overseas. This guy was not a knowledgeable cat owner and he adopted the cat from someone whose cat had kittens and he never had the cat neutered. (He lived in a highrise apartment building and rationalized that the cat never went outside.) About a week before we took the cat, he and I brought the cat to get neutered and get its shots.

The friend slept over the first night the cat was here and things did not go badly, the cat was comfortable and my cats did not act up; they seemed to recognize it was the other guy's cat.

The trouble really started after he left the next day for deployment. Then the new cat started yowling a lot. My cats are fighting with him, hissing at him and chasing him. Even my old 15-year old male cat, who usually never fights with anyone, is getting into the act.

The worst thing is since the new cat has been here, my house has started smelling like strong cat urine ... the kind unneutered male cats spray. Prior to taking the cat, I asked the owner, "Does he spray?" and was told, "No." I believed it, because whenever I went over there, the apartment never smelled like cat urine. Of course, I cannot see it, so I don't know exactly where to clean and am going crazy cleaning wherever it smells. I just noticed my husband's flight bag smells of cat urine. That thing is expensive and if I cannot get the stench off it, it will have to be replaced. Even scarier, I am thinking what if we get like those people on "Hoarders" who don't even notice the stench anymore and go around with stinky belongings. (Okay maybe I am going overboard here!)

So ... if you don't neuter a male cat before they start to spray ... does that mean they are going to spray for the rest of their lives? Or maybe after they are neutered is there some stinky hormones in them for a couple of months and it goes away gradually? Is he doing this because he is upset with the fighting or will he be doing this all the time now to mark territory? Otherwise, he uses the litter boxes fine. I don't see him doing it, but it must be him because I have never smelled this with the other cats (1 male, 2 female, all fixed).

Is there anything I can do to get them to get along better? The last addition to the household was 2 years ago, a female I adopted from a kill shelter right before her number was up. It didn't go well in the beginning, but things settled down, however, it sure wasn't as bad as this! I cannot give this cat away because the owner wants him back when he gets back to the US. TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 06:41 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,134 times
If you had a special Rocky Point Cat you wouldnt have these problems.

You should segregate the new cat in its own room for a while. Let them all get use to the new cats smell. Then let him out. There probably will be less problems then and they will adjust.

The spraying...dont know if it stops. I had a friend whos neutered male cat started spraying and didnt stop. The house stunk after a while. It would spray in odd places..behind the stove and, even worse, on radiators. When the heat came on the house reeked of Eau de Cat. I thought neutered cats didnt spray but I guess they still can.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:43 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post

Is there anything I can do to get them to get along better? The last addition to the household was 2 years ago, a female I adopted from a kill shelter right before her number was up. It didn't go well in the beginning, but things settled down, however, it sure wasn't as bad as this! I cannot give this cat away because the owner wants him back when he gets back to the US. TIA!
You can't expect resident cats to accept a newcomer all at once. The information is online on many sites about bringing in a new cat. Briefly, he should be kept in a separate room for awhile until your cats get used to his smell and voice. He should have been neutered weeks before you took him in.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:21 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
It takes time for the hormones to leave, after neutering, so the tom cat odor will stop eventually.

He's crying because he has lost his home and person, doesn't know what's happened to him. He needs time to adjust to his new world.

I agree that he should be kept isolated from the other cats for a few weeks. Cats are very territorial, and he has been through a lot already. Let him have his own room, visit him frequently throughout the day.

Your resident cats will have time to get used to his presence and the new smells. Right now the smell is very confusing to alll of them, including new kitty, because he is full of vet smells, anesthesia smells take a few days to leave the system.

Some feliway diffusers can help with stress and territorial feelings.

Make sure, after the integration, you keep enough litter boxes (one per cat, plus one) and enough elevated spots for all cats.

You will need a black light to find all the spray spots. You will need a good enzymatic cleaner to remove all scent. Even if you can't smell it the cats may be able to, if you don't use a good enzyme cleaner.

It's so good of you to keep the soldier's cat so he doesn't have to worry about him, while he's worrying about serving the rest of us who stay home in safety, thanks to him and people like him.

Things will be okay. you just need to back up a little and slow down the introductions.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:30 AM

484 posts, read 761,282 times
Agree with catsmom21, black light & enzymatic cleaner for the immediate needs, obviously the social issues will need to be dealt with slowly, an extra room dedicated to the new guy would be helpful. As far as the spraying, once the hormones are all out of his system it should stop the spraying from smelling so foul, but some cats just remain sprayers (not saying he will, just mentioning it's not that uncommon). My cat has been spayed since 4 months and she still sprays when protecting her territory from outdoor cats. It doesn't have near the odor of an intact cat, but of course a good enzymatic cleaner is still necessary.

You are very kind to taken on the responsibility of introducing a new cat into your family even temporarily, I hope it can get easier from here on out for you and the kitties .

Old 06-07-2013, 11:57 AM

6,824 posts, read 9,059,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
It takes time for the hormones to leave, after neutering, so the tom cat odor will stop eventually.
I adopted a stray cat that never stopped spraying even after being neutered. He didn't spray every day but he did occasionally mark territory. Oh well. He was a really sweetie and would come to me when I whistled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats