Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 09:49 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times

Advertisements

I never understood why people in the cities open windows with no tight safe screen in or on them. Aside from the insects and bugs that can come in, including misdirected birds and bats at night... cats and small children can easily full out of them. Both children and cats have been killed or seriosuly injured by open windows with no screens or mesh guards. Please... securely screen your windows or don't allow your small children or pets in the room.

Cat High-Rise Syndrome: Falling From High Places
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 07:51 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
100% is a stretch. Screens won't fully protect animals and children from falling out of windows.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:02 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
100% is a stretch. Screens won't fully protect animals and children from falling out of windows.
True - if the screen is one of those cheap ones the window comes down on and the person is too dumb to secure them in some way. Hardware cloth and or those window guards are 100% unless someone gives your pet or children a metal saw to saw through them.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:30 AM

20,392 posts, read 14,661,936 times
I'd think you probably see more of this in impoverished neighborhoods where residents may not have enough money to even get by, let alone buy the RIGHT equipment to secure their window screens, and have to open windows to cope with heat... I would argue that these folks maybe don't need pets (or children?) either, but just try telling anyone that.

The world is full of people who do unwise things, and then bad results occur, and everyone is like, "this was preventable." Well, yeah. So are lots of things. But as long as there are people who make poor decisions, of which there are always PLENTY, then there will be the negative consequences for themselves and those around them... Whaddyagonnado?

Old 06-13-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
True - if the screen is one of those cheap ones the window comes down on and the person is too dumb to secure them in some way.
No window screen is strong enough to hold children and animals inside 100%. It has nothing to do with cheap. It has to do with the screening itself being very flimsy material that doesn't hold into the fame when weight is against it----no matter how high the quality. Window screens were never intended to be safety products. If you think your screens are 100% preventable, I sure hope you aren't one of the unlucky people who learn the hard way that you are wrong.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:05 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,789 times
Our windows are blocked so that the windows cannot open any larger than the size of our smallest cat's head.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:03 PM

20,392 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
No window screen is strong enough to hold children and animals inside 100%. It has nothing to do with cheap. It has to do with the screening itself being very flimsy material that doesn't hold into the fame when weight is against it----no matter how high the quality. Window screens were never intended to be safety products. If you think your screens are 100% preventable, I sure hope you aren't one of the unlucky people who learn the hard way that you are wrong.
I honestly think that if time, budget and tools were all unlimited, I could create a screen that would be 100% housecat proof.

100% child-proof though? No, I don't believe so. Kids can pick up objects and throw them, fling their (considerably heavier) bodies at a screen, or cut it with something sharp. Which is why your typical parent supervises and teaches their children, to mitigate potential dangers like this.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:10 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
I remember when I was a kids, all our window screens were metal, but today they all seem to be nylon. I don't know if they aren't as strong, but they sure feel flimsier.
My kitties love to lounge in my window sills (though I'm not in a high rise) and I'm always checking on the screens by pushing on them, to make sure they're secure. I think if I were in a high rise, I'd be really paranoid about this and MacGyvering the screens somehow.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I think if I were in a high rise, I'd be really paranoid about this and MacGyvering the screens somehow.
I'd be super paranoid too. We have huge windows that open close to the floor. I could imagine the children tripping and falling right out of them. I would only open the top windows. If I had a cat, I wouldn't have even opened the top window because they like to climb up into places like that. Even if it didn't fall through the screen, it would have risked falling down and being stuck between the window and the screen. If it freaked out, I could see the screen giving way. Yeah, I'd be paranoid in a high rise.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:29 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,940,029 times
I no longer open the windows (except for a crack) because my little guys jump at every little bug or fly that comes by! I just know that they would go through the screen if I opened it any further. My next home will have windows that open from bottom AND top and have heavy duty screens and possibly other reinforcement.

I'm also scared about the staircase and railing that goes around through to another room. They can get through the wrought iron spindles and it has a little wood ledge (maybe only 1-1/2 inches) and I see them peering through it and trying to get on that TINY ledge! If I see them even getting close I yell out DANGER DANGER and am hoping that in time they will avoid it altogether! Otherwise I may have to put some chicken wire or something on it so they can't get through it. I've also seen a couple of them looking at the hand rail and contemplating jumping up on it (at least it looks like to me). Do any of yours jump up on that tiny hand rail and walk across it like a tightrope or am I just being an overly paranoid pet parent??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats