Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 02:04 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,297,951 times

Advertisements

I have a 18 year old cat who's playful, healthy, and happy.
a couple of times though, not entirely sure why, he's pooped (and peed?) on a leather couch that we have. I've cleaned and cleaned and cleaned it....but the couch (new) stinks! i've taken the couch cussions apart and cleaned each part separately...but the couch and now the whole room stinkssssss.....after i clean, it's good for a couple of days, before the room starts stinking! (no, it's not new pee/poop).

I separated the couch from the room, and realized that it's JUST the couch.....not the room; so at least we know that much.

HELP! what's the best way to remove all odors from this couch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 02:22 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
You could have it professionally cleaned...or look on the internet for products designed for cat elimination problems. Not sure what can be used on leather. At least your sofa is not fabric...probably would be a throwaway!

Not sure any will work...someone else might have a better answer.

Old 10-05-2017, 06:26 PM

3 posts, read 1,699 times
I use something called Nature's Miracle Advance Cat Stain and Odor Eliminator I bought a Gallon from amazon its a Big RED bottle. I had let in a Stray and he sprayed in the house, my husband and I used this and washed the walls. I also bought some special lighting that came with glasses and that showed us where exactly all the spraying went. We can't see it with the naked eye. We went threw the WHOLE house.....and it really worked great! we cleaned it and air out the house for a day and it should be fine.

Oh I wanted to mention about the peeing/pooping outside of the box issue....if he continues to do that it means he is trying to tell you something is not right, it could be something minor like a urinary tract or bladder infection that antibiotics would fix him right up.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:07 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,536,978 times
If this was a cloth couch I would recommend taking the cloth covers off and taking them to the cleaners, but with a leather couch I have no idea. Good luck!

Old 10-08-2017, 08:13 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
I have a 18 year old cat who's playful, healthy, and happy.
a couple of times though, not entirely sure why, he's pooped (and peed?) on a leather couch that we have. I've cleaned and cleaned and cleaned it....but the couch (new) stinks! i've taken the couch cussions apart and cleaned each part separately...but the couch and now the whole room stinkssssss.....after i clean, it's good for a couple of days, before the room starts stinking! (no, it's not new pee/poop).

I separated the couch from the room, and realized that it's JUST the couch.....not the room; so at least we know that much.

HELP! what's the best way to remove all odors from this couch?

On leather, saddle soap maybe ?

There is an excellent product that I use often around the house; it is "Odor Ban", (a cleaner and deodorizer) -- you can buy it in a spray bottle or by the gallon in HDepot or Lowe's, maybe some supermarkets. My own 17 yrs. old sweetie has kidney disease, and every once in a while she will leave a small 'gift' on my sewing room carpet. Yikes ! I always catch it in time, and then bring out the Odor Ban, clean the spot with water & vinegar and then spray with the Odor Ban. There is never a stain because I get it quickly and it is not often at all.

Older kitties are very much like older adults in that they can have memory loss. Best wishes with your senior kitty.

Last edited by QuilterChick; 10-08-2017 at 08:21 AM..

Old 10-10-2017, 01:20 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
On leather, saddle soap maybe ?

There is an excellent product that I use often around the house; it is "Odor Ban", (a cleaner and deodorizer) -- you can buy it in a spray bottle or by the gallon in HDepot or Lowe's, maybe some supermarkets. My own 17 yrs. old sweetie has kidney disease, and every once in a while she will leave a small 'gift' on my sewing room carpet. Yikes ! I always catch it in time, and then bring out the Odor Ban, clean the spot with water & vinegar and then spray with the Odor Ban. There is never a stain because I get it quickly and it is not often at all.

Older kitties are very much like older adults in that they can have memory loss. Best wishes with your senior kitty.
Odoban is something one can't live w/o once discovered. If it can be used on leather, that would be my choice. Though I haven't tried Nature's Miracle.

Old 10-10-2017, 01:21 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
PS kitty is not happy and healthy if pooping on the couch. My elderly lady cat pooped on my bathroom rugs and it was unhappy. Unhappy with the litter I wanted her to start using. It's never for no reason..........

Old 10-10-2017, 02:22 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Yes, OdoBan can be used on leather.

I would test a hidden area first to make sure it does not discolor it, though.

Old 10-10-2017, 05:13 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
PS kitty is not happy and healthy if pooping on the couch. My elderly lady cat pooped on my bathroom rugs and it was unhappy. Unhappy with the litter I wanted her to start using. It's never for no reason..........
My kitty just "broke training" about a year ago. He simply doesn't want to use the litter box. Instead he goes on bathroom mats and towels. We finally gave in (or we were "re-trained), and gave Boo Kitty towels to use.My DH built a shallow wooden box and we keep a fresh towel in it. when kitty is done, or needs a new towel, he yowls! Whatever works!

And yes, he's been to the vet. We're regulars there. He had the PU surgery about 6 months ago and seems much better. He voids easily now without pain. However, he is a creature of habit. He still insists on his "towel box". He's an old kitty---about 13, and a sweet boy, so, we indulge him. Like I say, whatever works

Old 10-10-2017, 08:34 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
My kitty just "broke training" about a year ago. He simply doesn't want to use the litter box. Instead he goes on bathroom mats and towels. We finally gave in (or we were "re-trained), and gave Boo Kitty towels to use.My DH built a shallow wooden box and we keep a fresh towel in it. when kitty is done, or needs a new towel, he yowls! Whatever works!

And yes, he's been to the vet. We're regulars there. He had the PU surgery about 6 months ago and seems much better. He voids easily now without pain. However, he is a creature of habit. He still insists on his "towel box". He's an old kitty---about 13, and a sweet boy, so, we indulge him. Like I say, whatever works

Just a 'guess', but your kitty may have an aversion to the litter you're using .... even if the kitty has been using it for a long time ... their mindset can change. Most kitties will clean/lick their paws after using the box and after eating, and he may have an issue with the dust that is left on his paws. Try a dust-free litter such as Dr. Elsey's Precious Kitty. Best wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats