Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2013, 08:56 AM

511 posts, read 838,466 times

Advertisements

She is up to 1 lb 15 oz and eating very well now and is not bony anymore though of course still a tiny girl, hence her name. I am making eggs with goat's milk in coconut oil for them every day and they devour it. Also made bone broth for them and am mixing with goat's milk for them to drink. Giving lysine, probiotics and a bit of cod liver oil. All the kittens actually have ringworm so putting her back in the room with them was not an issue. I figured out who "person zero" was because my sister was here before the litter of five came and handled my singleton foster baby (the only one at the time) and she ended up with ringworm. So Dreamboat Annie likely was in the very early stages then and it just took a good while to become noticeable. We've sprayed with a veterinary anti-fungal spray, washed, dipped...I have 100 ppm colloidal silver coming tomorrow so will try that too. We are on our second round of deworming but I have only seen one worm this time.

I think I was always very lucky with foster cats in the past. I never had one bring fleas in, only had a ringworm issue with ones who came to me with it (some years back in a different house), and worms? If they ever had them, I never knew. I have learned my lesson though because apparently Hello Kitty's fleas made it into the house and the kitties have the odd flea. I have Capstar coming tomorrow so will dose everyone while contained in a crate and be on the alert to vacuum the fleas away. When I am ready to foster again (I am going to take a break), no one is coming in the house without a dose of strongid, capstar, and a spray of antifungal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 05:20 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,835,891 times
Never underestimate the will of a cat person! For lack of a better term they can be dogged!

Old 07-01-2013, 05:59 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
Great news, Mobius! Photos please!

Old 07-01-2013, 08:03 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
Capstar works great! There's a guy on eBay that sells the generic version, and it works just as well. I order from him once a month, just have extra on hand.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:21 PM

Thank you moved!! I am so getting some. If I give half doses (and since it's good up to 25 lbs, I hope that will work), I have just enough for my current kitties except the wee tiny one. But I will order some for sure for any later comers and occasional use on the permakitties.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:57 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,995,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobiusStrip View Post
Thank you moved!! I am so getting some. If I give half doses (and since it's good up to 25 lbs, I hope that will work), I have just enough for my current kitties except the wee tiny one. But I will order some for sure for any later comers and occasional use on the permakitties.
Half a dose is still an overdose (you would be dosing for a 12lb ADULT cat) and some products are not for use on kittens or any kitty under 4 lbs. Is colloidal silver safe for such small kittens? Why not check with your vet to make sure you're doing the right thing and giving the correct doses?

Old 07-01-2013, 11:01 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,995,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobiusStrip View Post
I think I was always very lucky with foster cats in the past. I never had one bring fleas in, only had a ringworm issue with ones who came to me with it (some years back in a different house), and worms?
You have been lucky. Every stray I ever found here suffered from internal parasites and was flea bitten. Ringworm seems to be rare where I live. A mix of 1/3 iodine to 2/3s mineral oil will kill ringworm on humans and dogs. I'm not sure about it being safe for cats. I've seen it do wonders getting rid of ear mites also.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:38 PM

It actually specifies it is for animals 2-25 lbs. When Hello Kitty weighed 10 oz, the vet used 1/4 pill on him. I will read directions of course but am pretty sure 1/2 pill is going to be fine.

Actually I have not been lucky. Almost every animal I chose to rescue when I lived in VA ended up having health problems. Blind dog with heart issues. Club footed kitten, two with severe heart disease, and their healthy sister. Another cat with some strange hormonal issue, from which he died young (is there such a thing as feline acromegaly? I'd have to ask his adopter if cause of death was ever determined), one cat with heart disease and diabetes, and one half blind dog with brain damage. Moved here and first cat who found me was severely hyperthyroid. First rescue kitty from shelter here had stomatitis. So no, not so lucky! I think with these latest ones though, the curse is hopefully broken.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:51 AM

41,961 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Good to hear!

Old 07-03-2013, 10:10 PM

Thumbelina is 2 lb 4 oz today so has gained 14 oz in 8 days. Is this too fast? She did not eat much when we were having to be force fed but now that she has decided food is good and I am feeding them high protein/high fat choices, she's already a sleek, glossy little thing (ringworm spots notwithstanding) and not a bit bony. This happened with an emaciated dog I pulled from the shelter too - before I knew it, he was up from 29 to 50 lbs and glossy and gorgeous. I worried it was too fast for Harry too but he has seemed to do very well. Should I just continue to let her eat and not worry?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats