Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 09:35 AM

1,780 posts, read 3,930,600 times

Advertisements

I just got the best idea from my vet's office. My cat is having a problem with throwing up hairballs all over the place so I asked what they recommended. I was told that mixing a small dab of canned PUMPKIN in his food would do the trick. Seems all he needs is a little extra fiber in his diet. So far so good, but it has only been a few days so far.

Kitty actually likes the stuff. I tried putting it in his dry food, but he didn't eat it all and it just made a mess. So I tried offering him some on my finger and he ate it right up. So now he gets about a half teaspoonful on his own little spoon at night when I feed him.

I like the idea because it's natural, cheap and simple. Has anyone else heard of this and if you tried it, what was the outcome??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 10:37 PM

947 posts, read 3,408,317 times
yup! heard of it, suppose to be good for dog and cat.
Although my cats will Not eat it.

So I do give Psylium Husk powder daily in wet food. Great fiber for passing hair and normal bowels.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:44 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,408,854 times
We use pumpkin all the time. It is great for upset stomachs, and diarrhea. Just make sure it is the plain pumpkin and does not have any added spices or flavoring And yes, great for cats and dogs both!

Old 03-17-2009, 09:56 AM

I have three cats: One will eat pumpkin and the other two won't. Need4Trees: where do you get the psylium husk powder? Thanks for the useful info... I might try it on #2 and #3!

ShelbyGirl1: Yes, the plain pumpkin. I almost added, "not pumpkin pie filling." It does make sense that it's good for dogs, too, so thanks for the tip!!

Old 03-17-2009, 11:37 PM

947 posts, read 3,408,317 times
any health food store really,
I got mine from Whole Foods but if you have Hi Health stores or GNC's or many supermarket "health section" would probably have it.
Give it with a bit of water in wet food each day.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by need4Trees View Post
any health food store really,
I got mine from Whole Foods but if you have Hi Health stores or GNC's or many supermarket "health section" would probably have it.
Give it with a bit of water in wet food each day.
Thanks again! I'll check it out!

Old 03-19-2009, 06:10 PM

536 posts, read 1,108,946 times
wow that's a great tip. never heard of it before....thanks
,,,^..^,,,

Old 03-20-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shymonkey View Post
wow that's a great tip. never heard of it before....thanks
,,,^..^,,,
You're welcome! The jury is still out as to the effectiveness of this on my cat!!

Old 05-21-2009, 05:43 PM

1 posts, read 32,080 times
Default Did the pumpkin help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD'Arc View Post
You're welcome! The jury is still out as to the effectiveness of this on my cat!!
My adopted feral cats suffer from hairballs, even though I comb them daily and give them laxatone in their food. The problem is they cannot digest, and have a hard time vomiting them or passing them out the other end. So they get sick, throw up a bit of the hairball (which the vet says can be the tip of the hairball-iceberg in the belly), and go around feeling bad for a couple days until it works itself out in some way. So, did the natural pumpkin work for your baby?? Thanks so much. I've got to get some special food, or something better than the laxatone to prevent this.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolandaday View Post
My adopted feral cats suffer from hairballs, even though I comb them daily and give them laxatone in their food. The problem is they cannot digest, and have a hard time vomiting them or passing them out the other end. So they get sick, throw up a bit of the hairball (which the vet says can be the tip of the hairball-iceberg in the belly), and go around feeling bad for a couple days until it works itself out in some way. So, did the natural pumpkin work for your baby?? Thanks so much. I've got to get some special food, or something better than the laxatone to prevent this.
Hi. The pumpkin did seem to help, and I still give him whatever kind of squash I can find in the grocery store, but I had to resort to adding store brand (Iams) hairball remedy cat food to his diet. He gets diet cat food from the Vet's mixed in with a small amount of Iams hairball remedy, a spoonful of squash or pumpkin at night, some tarter control cat biscuits during the day and on occasion a tidbit from good quality meat like beef, chicken, pork or fish. He's very healthy and hardly ever throws up on my best carpets now!

It's worth a try for your feral cats if you can get them to eat it. If I mix it into my cat's food, he won't eat it so I have to let him lick it off a spoon. But that's just him! lol!

By the way, when cats throw up hairballs, they aren't "sick" in the common meaning. They are just doing what cats do when they get too much hair in their digestive system.

Oh, the worth of pumpkin is in the extra fiber it gives them, so anything they will eat with fiber should help. You should probably check with a vet to make sure other items are safe for them. Let me know if that helps, and Good luck!!
J
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats