Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 06:45 AM

1,122 posts, read 3,506,986 times

Advertisements

I love my cat babies but sometimes they can drive me a bit nuts. For some reason they love to walk, sit or lay on my laptop keyboard when I'm trying to type. My girl Lula clearly thinks I should pet her instead of typing so she keeps head butting my hands, sits on the keyboard or just walks back and forth in front of me while chatting (she makes the funniest sounds). If I move her she just comes right back. She thinks my hands should be on her and nowhere else.
My boy Leon likes to use the keyboard as a pillow, pressing a number of keys with his head in the process. If I move the laptop away from him he'll just move with it. My foster cat Beba likes to park her butt in the middle of the keyboard and my boy Zig likes to pace back and forth on it. There is a whole big table around the laptop they could sit or lay on but that won't do. They have to be on top of my laptop in one way or another
They delete stuff I post and mess up other stuff on a regular basis. They can be very amusing and cute with their little antics but this is one I'd like to see reduced a bit.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to keep my little buggers off my keyboard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 07:02 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,068,233 times
Pick them, place them down, yell NO when they try to get back up.

Treat them like cats. They arent children.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:12 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,591,664 times
You'd better read this thread

Does your cat bother you while you are on the computer?

Yelling at them will not teach them anything positive. They just want to be near you.

Be sure to play with them a lot. Give them a half hour of interactive play time before you sit down to the compute, then put some bird seed out in front of a favorite window (Cat TV) After that they will be more likely to play on their own and with each other, and leave you to do what you want to do.

Provide them with their own space nearby where they can be near you. A tall cat tree next to your desk, or book case they can perch on, or a bench level with your chair, or all of those. I have a bench level with my chair, a cat bed behind the lap top and tallish bookcase next to the desk. Three spots, three cats. And of course there is always room on my lap for one.

Remove them gently from the keyboard and put them on the perches you have provided for them. Praise them n perhaps give little treat, at first, to encourage them to use those spots instead.

Don't yell. Don't be rough. Be patient while they learn the rules. Yes they are indeed cats, intelligent feeling animals, capable of learning, entitled to humane treatment, just like any other living being.

They can learn what you want them to learn without roughness or yelling.

Last edited by catsmom21; 09-07-2013 at 07:25 AM..

Old 09-07-2013, 07:25 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,854,718 times
Before computers, Scooter would plop down on any paper I was working on or reading. It was like she was saying "Pay attention to ME !" I would have to move her over but she would keep pawing at the paper.

Just move them off of your lap and they will get the idea after a while.

Don

Old 09-07-2013, 07:40 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,372,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Before computers, Scooter would plop down on any paper I was working on or reading. It was like she was saying "Pay attention to ME !" I would have to move her over but she would keep pawing at the paper.

Don
I was just taking care of my bills and both kitties helped me. They moved aftr a couple of minutes of loving and we all did just fine.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:15 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Bobbles did this. If I was slouched down on the sofa, I picked her up off of the keyboard and put her down on my chest. If I was sitting at a table, I took her off the keyboard and put her in my lap. Sometimes I could just set her down very close to my side. I knew she just wanted to be close to me. Putting her on the floor or away from me wouldn't work. She pretty much leaves my keyboard alone now. If she wants loving, she'll just climb directly onto my chest or lap.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:58 AM

7,201 posts, read 15,002,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
I love my cat babies but sometimes they can drive me a bit nuts. For some reason they love to walk, sit or lay on my laptop keyboard when I'm trying to type......

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to keep my little buggers off my keyboard?
I move my keyboard to the left where the table is and keep on typing. I let them have the keyboard shelf. Between, I pet and talk to them. Then that cat goes on it's way and the next one comes along...

Old 09-07-2013, 01:12 PM

24,595 posts, read 10,909,474 times
During the day ShadowCat gets bigger and bigger on my desk. Who can blame her - two halogen lights, big monitor and me prattling on the phone. As soon as I try to get a pad out from under her (three is not enough for her and me) I get a show of tooth then a slap.
She does prefer IPads. I think she considers them cat heating pads. You cannot find her - put one on the kitchen counter:>)

Old 09-07-2013, 01:32 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
I think she considers them cat heating pads.
Bobbles likes to sleep next to the internet modem. I think it reminds her of her mother.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:33 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,356,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post

Don
Of my 4 cats, Muffy is the only one who does this. Not just pest me on the computer - If I am lying in bed reading a book or magazine, Muffy wants to be center of attention. She's notorious for scratching at my book or magazine with her front paws, trying her best to shred it (not cute when it is a library book!!!!) She does this too when I exercise. If I'm on my slant board doing my abs or doing curls on my weight bench, she'll be on my chest, rubbing against my face or batting me with her paw. Moving her or telling her no doesn't do any good. I give her a good long "knoatching" which is a Pennsylvania Dutch term for lovin' the stuffin' out of an animal until they get tired of it and squirm to get away.

When I'm doing housework like dusting or hanging laundry that involves reaching or standing on a chair/stepladder, she ALWAYS leaps onto my back or shoulder, almost knocking me over. She's the only one of my cats that does this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats