Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 04:04 PM

185 posts, read 461,318 times

Advertisements

My heart breaks for you, I hope that she isn't in too much pain when she leaves this place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 05:18 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,618,630 times
I really get a feeling when seeing these threads that there's a far greater Power than us, & He has better plans for us & our beloved pets in the afterlife. I know it is corny but it is a feeling that pervades me over & over when seeing this heartache. I can't express enough my heartfelt condolences at this time. I will pray for you & her, & May God Bless you & her & bring you comfort & peace in these times.

Old 09-19-2013, 05:38 PM

585 posts, read 2,015,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
This past June we had to say goodbye to our "Emily". She had an operation to remove a tumor from her neck and it grew back in triplicate. She spent her last few weeks living in our closet, she was so weak and thin and frail she could hardly get up to use the litter box. She had lost half her weight. The night before we brought her to the vet to have her euthanized she managed to climb up on the bed and sleep one last time with my wife. She always slept with us at night, usually curled up between my legs on the cold nights after getting a shoulder snuggle from my wife. In the morning she would walk around and sniff our noses. This particular morning she went back to the closet until we brought her to the vet. I gave her a firm hug before letting the tech take her in back. I will never forget the look on her face. She was seven years old. She is buried under the window she always loved to watch the birds from. A blue Hydrangea marks her grave. My heart goes out to you killabunnies.
BooBoo ALWAYS sleeps on my pillow, from when she was an only cat to now with a revolving cast of rescue characters in my home. At night, when I'm finally ready to go to bed, I always say "alright, let's go to sleep" and she hobbles up the stairs, hops into bed and meows at me before finding her spot on the pillow next to me.

The other night when she followed me to bed but didn't start "complaining" at me, I knew something was up. I kicked another cat out of my bed and just laid there with her in my arms, petting her head and trying to listen to what she wanted to tell me.

Last night she did not join me in bed, she stayed in her preferred bed in the closet. She's still hanging on and the vet said to wait it out for now and just keep her comfortable in case it's just a passing thing (weather has been chilly lately but nothing else has changed in our house, there's no reason stress would be causing this and her only medical issue per her last blood panel is early stage kidney failure which meds didn't improve) but I just know this is it. She hid part of the day today which is not like her at all and even let one of my other cats bury his nose in her fur... she HATES cats, normally she would have clawed his face off.

She is going to hate me but I have to clean her tonight, she's been lax about grooming for a long time and hates me pestering her but I want her to go with some dignity. She hates the car and the vet so I'm looking into an at home option - I'd prefer to use the vet we both like but I think having a vet we don't know do a house call so she isn't subjected to one last trip to the vet would be best.

I'd like to bury her along the river here in Richmond but don't expect I'll be here forever so I'm still planning to take her ashes up to the Alaska wilderness along with those of my mom's so they can be together forever in a place my mother loved.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:05 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
She's a beautiful cat.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:17 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,995,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killabunnies View Post
I'd like to bury her along the river here in Richmond but don't expect I'll be here forever so I'm still planning to take her ashes up to the Alaska wilderness along with those of my mom's so they can be together forever in a place my mother loved.
I think this is a wonderful thing you're going to do - for both your mother and the cat. If you mix the ashes together and scatter them there, you know they will never be disturbed for all eternity.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:31 PM

1,059 posts, read 830,831 times
Oh, killabunnies, my heart goes out to you. Strange, but I needed to be here this evening and seeing your post really hit me. My 17-year-old, Clarissa, is at the end of her life. Her vet found a "massive stomach tumor" when we visited on Tuesday, plus Clarissa had lost a pound in the last 5 months since her senior check-up. I had her scheduled the next day, and my dearest friend went with me. We both talked to Dr. Kmak - "is there any chance Clarissa could have surgery (knowing the answer)?" and "are you sure it is malignant and not just a harmless cyst?" I had Clarissa x-rayed, and Dr. Kmak said after reviewing the film, "I cannot operate on your kitty. The mass has spread to her chest." I brought Clarissa home, along with pain medication, and am spending the short time left with her exclusively. Even though she is eating a little and walking and purring, I know it's almost time, and that Clarissa will let me know. All three of my cats are indoors only, but I took Clarissa out in the backyard for the first time yesterday. Grass, sunshine, butterflies. She loved it! I told her this is what Heaven will be like. Although Clarissa has been with me since a kitten, my mom, who died at 90 almost three years ago, knew and loved her, and that connection is foremost in my mind. I know Mom will be waiting for Clarissa and welcome and love her until I can join them.

Sorry to go on so long, but Killabunnies' heart-wrenching experience is so similar -- the thoughts are
a lot alike, and while we all have been through beloved pets' losses, some are more difficult than others.

BooBoo is a beautiful fur baby, and my thoughts and prayers are with you on this journey.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:36 PM

335 posts, read 620,064 times
So sad, my heart breaks for you. Such a beautiful cat. It's good that you were able to have that time with her after your mom died.

Old 09-21-2013, 03:48 PM

585 posts, read 2,015,434 times
BooBoo left this world in my arms on the pillow beside me where she always slept some time this morning.

I struggled with the decision to euthanize or not, we decided to wait it out and I was prepared to take her in to the vet should things have progressed further. Though blind and too weak to walk last night, I feel like she would have wanted to stay at home over going to the vet's one last time. I cleaned her up and held her for most of the night and finally told her as the sun came up that I had to close my eyes and maybe she should too. I resisted the urge to say "I will see you in the morning" because I knew I wouldn't, she was slipping away by the minute but comfortable and warm and surrounded by love in our home, so I told her I loved her one last time and rested my hand on her side. I haven't prayed in a long time but I prayed to light the way for my loyal companion and old friend to find her way home, to alleviate her pain and to give both of us the strength to transcend the pain of this mortal moment knowing though our time here together has come to a close, we are eternally bonded as souls on this journey called life and will always live on in each other.

Typical subborn tortie that she was, I would like to believe she would have wanted control of that final thing in her life, and in retrospect I would not have chosen differently. She died very quietly, peacefully, at home like I think she would have wanted to.

I'm still sort of stunned that it happened so quickly and that I just "knew" because all these years, I've felt she was on her last life and wondered how I would know (this is my first senior of my own I've lost) but now I know why my cat friends who have been through this told me "you will just know," because I did and I guess there's consolation in that connection I shared with my old friend, who trusted me enough to tell me when she was ready so I could be there and help her find her way home where my mom was waiting.

Old 09-21-2013, 04:00 PM

2,105 posts, read 3,012,558 times
Hugs to you....

Old 09-21-2013, 06:18 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
Glad she was able to spend her last moments in her home with you.
The best possible way for her to depart this life.

God bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats