Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 06:11 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,991,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I know.....people don't think.

I don't know of anyone who wants to use a toilet that hasn't been flushed.

People need to think.....how would I like it?
I can tell you truthfully that in years past I have gone in the bushes beside a road, have gone amid the trashcans and dumpsters in alleyways rather than use the filthy unsanitary gas station and city park toilets so common in the past. Fortunately, where I live now, it's almost a contest between the stores and gas stations and restaurants as to who has the cleanest toilets.

So I don't expect my cats, a cleaner animal than many humans, to use such disgusting places to relieve themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 01:14 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
I can tell you truthfully that in years past I have gone in the bushes beside a road, have gone amid the trashcans and dumpsters in alleyways rather than use the filthy unsanitary gas station and city park toilets so common in the past. Fortunately, where I live now, it's almost a contest between the stores and gas stations and restaurants as to who has the cleanest toilets.

So I don't expect my cats, a cleaner animal than many humans, to use such disgusting places to relieve themselves.
You're bad........off to the pound with you!

Old 10-14-2013, 02:22 PM

369 posts, read 759,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Why is it only multi-cat owners that are called "crazy"?

I have never heard anyone call multi-dog owners "crazy dog people".

Even if they obviously were.
I've called people that. When there are more dogs than humans in the house and they're all large breeds, yeah, those are crazy dog people.

Old 10-14-2013, 02:28 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
Well.....then I am a crazy cat person and a crazy dog person!

At one time, I had 4 large dogs and 5 cats.

Now, I have one dog and 8 cats.

I have always been far out numbered by my furry friends!

Old 10-14-2013, 03:59 PM

55 posts, read 86,520 times
There's always been folks who will tease you about becoming the "crazy cat person." Even my own mother teases me sometimes about that. It's just something a cat owner needs to take with a grain of salt and laugh off.

I agree with Hopes that if people walk in the house and the smell of cat punches them in the face, you might have gone too far. But as long as you clean up after them, the limit is whatever YOU are comfortable with. I have had three for years and when we put down the oldest (at 20 years old), we wanted to get another kitten. But then we decided probably the kitten should have a playmate in case the older cats shunned him. So, now we have 4.

You're doing a great thing, keeping those three kitties from going to the pound (or living in a basement). If you can comfortably support them and you're happy, the heck with what other people think.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:41 PM

218 posts, read 544,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrusherCountry'sWife View Post
I agree with Hopes that if people walk in the house and the smell of cat punches them in the face, you might have gone too far. But as long as you clean up after them, the limit is whatever YOU are comfortable with. I have had three for years and when we put down the oldest (at 20 years old), we wanted to get another kitten. But then we decided probably the kitten should have a playmate in case the older cats shunned him. So, now we have 4.

I have a hard time with that "smell of cat punches them in the face". Ack....
All of my cats were feral at one time but NONE of them ever learned how to properly use the box to cover their business. They quite literally stand on the edges of the box and imitate pawing the dirt/litter/sand, whatever, but it gets them nowhere. It's almost hysterically sad. One will go and seconds later another will go and try to cover it up but doesn't quite know how to do so. "Oh, no - we are not even going to remotely stand in THAT!".

So we're constantly scooping.

And when we have guests...oh my. Hard to deal with I have to say. We actually have dedicated an entire spare room to their litterbox. That's all that's in there except for a table where I occasionally do some work like wrapping presents/sorting clothes, etc.

I try to use plug-ins but nothing can get rid of initial smell of poop when it happens. : \ Even if you scoop immediately which we do.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:49 PM

585 posts, read 2,015,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OcalaLiving View Post
I have a hard time with that "smell of cat punches them in the face". Ack....
All of my cats were feral at one time but NONE of them ever learned how to properly use the box to cover their business. They quite literally stand on the edges of the box and imitate pawing the dirt/litter/sand, whatever, but it gets them nowhere. It's almost hysterically sad. One will go and seconds later another will go and try to cover it up but doesn't quite know how to do so. "Oh, no - we are not even going to remotely stand in THAT!".

So we're constantly scooping.

And when we have guests...oh my. Hard to deal with I have to say. We actually have dedicated an entire spare room to their litterbox. That's all that's in there except for a table where I occasionally do some work like wrapping presents/sorting clothes, etc.

I try to use plug-ins but nothing can get rid of initial smell of poop when it happens. : \ Even if you scoop immediately which we do.
Have you tried the Arm and Hammer litter deodorizer? I guess it won't necessarily help if they aren't making it IN the box. But that stuff really works wonders, I can't live without it, even with constant scooping.

I always laugh when people come to my house for the first time (knowing I'm a cat lady) and the first thing they say is "WOW, it doesn't even smell like cat in here!" as if my house SHOULD reek of cats because I have so many!

Old 10-28-2013, 07:16 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,237,846 times
We're crazy cat people here...Cats 3 - people 2; not so much with dogs, only have 2 but they're kinda big - 60 and 95 lbs, hey together they're bigger than me, LOL

We don't have cat litter odor problems, I think a lot of it has to do with what the cats eat - beef is a big offender, chicken and turkey not so much it seems. Orion doesn't feel it necessary to cover his business. I think it's partly because he's so big, he wants to let the others know he rules. Our stinker, literally, is the GSD mix, and again it depends a lot on what I feed her. Better food = less odor and for me more important less shedding. I tell colleagues my fur friends go out and collect fur when we're at work and disperse it around the house so they can watch me clean, something the GSD thinks is doggie entertainment, LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats