Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2013, 09:23 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times

Advertisements

The ideal gift.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 01:12 PM

2,977 posts, read 3,921,461 times
LOL, it's a toy AND a treat (sort of)!

Old 10-28-2013, 03:24 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,831,265 times
We aren't sure when ours were actually born, so we tend to just give Christmas presents, like treats and toys.

But we get presents from them all the time. Just yesterday I put my foot into my shoe and felt something. Daisy had gotten into a cough drop bag and put one inside my shoe as a little "Thank You" for all the treats I give her. Or maybe it was a kitty joke.

Don

Old 10-28-2013, 06:08 PM

275 posts, read 396,727 times
My two Tigercats were born on Feb 1st, so I always give them a can of chicken or tuna and a new toy. They will be turning 8 next year. I am not sure when their mommy was born, so I include her too. I always light a birthday candle (some distance away from where they are eating, of course!)

Old 10-29-2013, 02:39 PM

303 posts, read 539,834 times
My two have approximate birthdays (no certain date when adopted) when they get shredded chicken or tuna and a toy of some sort. We sing the happy birthday song too, but no candles because they're too brave to leave it alone. They also 'exchange' a Christmas gift of treats and a toy with my future in-laws two kitties. We started that tradition last year.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:35 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,362,586 times
No, (extra treats & cuddles maybe). But one of my ladycats gave ME a present on MY birthday once. Took my wife and I a full hour to catch that Sparrow and return it to the outdoors. Luckily it wasn't hurt and flew off without a problem. I made sure to thank our mighty huntress for her wonderful gift. Unfortunately it would not be the last.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:48 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,825,930 times
Blaliko had started visiting during the summer of '11, but as late as the following spring she'd never quite decided I was trustworthy. She'd allow me to be present while she ate and drank from the "feeding station" and water supply I kept on the porch for her and the other stray and feral cats. But touching was a no-go. By now it should be well-known to most that she did what "intact" cats do during the winter of 11-12. Six healthy kittens were born to her sometime between late February and mid-March of last year. By the end of April three remained uncaptured. So when Mother's Day rolled around I decided to give her something to mark the occasion. By holding the can of tuna in place as she ravaged its contents I was able to sneak in some ear skritches - the first time ever she'd allowed for touching. From there "the rest is history." This past Mother's Day she was treated to canned tuna again, so I guess a tradition has been firmly established. Seteria gets to share in the spoils because there's no way the day could be explained (Blaliko, of course, isn't about to question good fortune.) Because no one knows Blaliko's true age - let alone what day she was born - and Seteria's "DOB" can only be estimated, I've decided to not try birthday observances. Weasie (1992-2012) was a different story. The estimation that she'd made her debut in this life during August was fairly conclusive. So as she started to get on in years I threw an annual birthday party on the last Saturday in July or the first in August. Various people would call these parties "the social event of the year for the neighborhood" and weren't kidding! While openly questioning their own sanity, arriving guests would place gifts and even cards on the table set aside for that purpose. Then well into the night the 25-40 of us would eat, drink, and be merry. At some point the custom-decorated cake for the year would be unveiled and the "birthday girl" serenaded. Weasie undoubtedly caught on that she was being honored. Then again, like most cats she felt that everything revolved around her anyway. I started doing this the year she reached the age of 14 (2006) and, happily, was able to hold five more.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:18 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,237,117 times
No idea when their real b'days are - I was told Orion was 2 months old when I adopted him but I dunno - he weighed 13 ounces but by the time he was full grown about 3 years later he was a whopping 14 pounds! He was so tiny when I adopted him his eyes were still that odd kitten blue/green and he had baby teeth so I'm doubtful he was actually 8 weeks old, he was just a big kitten and whoever gave him to the shelter lied. I think he may be a pedigree that doesn't meet breed standards, his back legs sit way out of line. But he's my heart and in my world every day should be his b'day

I don't give them treats often, they just don't seem healthy and the guys don't like many food types. I just got them a new plant however, they like chewing on house plants so I get them non-toxic plants to munch on. I also give them empty boxes and switch out their baskets, I have baskets in various places around the house. Joe likes to use baskets to sharpen his claws. I often find large baskets at thrift stores, they're easily washed and dried and make attractive cat toys. Joe especially likes the twig variety. And once they get worn I just throw them out and replace them. Gives the dog something new to smell too so it's all good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats