Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2013, 02:53 PM

537 posts, read 1,243,348 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

My boyfriend and his two cats moved in a couple weeks ago, and I am pleased to say that they both love it. They have extra room to roam, and BF has mentioned that they seem even happier now than before. This is my first time owning cats, so I'm really glad they're doing so well. I think I am officially a cat person, and I love them dearly.

One of the cats has had an ongoing problem for quite a few months now. He tends to overly clean himself, mainly on his belly. He licks to the point of it bleeding. He also tends to bite himself a lot when cleaning. He's had a cone on for months and the moment we take off the cone, he begins to lick himself furiously (again, on his belly).

From time to time, I'll notice him licking again, even with the cone on. It's rare but when we catch him, we try to distract him by playing with him.

Has anyone dealt with this before? Does anyone know how to keep him from overly cleaning himself?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 03:02 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Has he always done this?

Skin issues can be difficult to pin down, but the first thing to do is evaluate his diet. It's quite possible that there is something in his food causing an allergy.

Has there been any other changes (aside from the obvious) such as laundry detergent?

How about the kind of litter being used?

What has the vet said?

By the way, congratulations on discovering how wonderful it is to live with cats!

Old 12-24-2013, 07:32 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,238,102 times
First thought is allergy, second is behavior. Just as catsmom said. Kitty may have a medical condition and if the vet didn't do blood work then it should be done, if that's negative then I'd think allergy, change the laundry soap and fabric softener and wait several weeks to see what happens. Same with the litter. Look at kitties food. If it is an allergy it may be very difficult to figure out, if it's behavioral look for changes in BF's schedule and HIS health/diet etc. ANY change other than moving which is obvious, may have triggered kitty's new behavior. But once the trigger is identified you can address it and get the poor kitty back to normal. That may include medication but hopefully it'll be soon, I'm sure the poor cat is miserable.

Congratulations on joining the kitty lover world, it is an amazing place, full of joy and laughter. They are amazing beings that bring their humans love and delight that we can never hope to repay.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:28 AM

537 posts, read 1,243,348 times
Thanks so much for your replies. Dippy's old vet wasn't very helpful, so I will get an appointment with a new one right away. I will update once we find out the news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats