Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 08:36 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times

Advertisements

Chewy seems 100% back to normal tonight. I was in the kitchen, folding my laundry, and he jumped on the counter and was getting into stuff, being his usual bad self . I had to take stuff away from him to keep him from knocking it on the floor. He also looks very bright eyed and alert tonight.

But we are taking him for a good checkup anyway. Thanks for the well wishes folks.

Don

I just took this picture of him. Although he doesn't look alert in the picture, he actually is .

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 09:13 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
He's giving you the evil eye because you're taking him to the vet.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:37 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Looks more than alert to me, looks positively PO'd!

Old 03-10-2014, 09:19 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
That look on his face reeks of "there WILL be consequences" for this.
Chewy is a very handsome fellow, and I hope his check up goes well.
Glad to hear he's doing better.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:33 PM

Funny thing is, he always photographs like a mean cat but he isn't at all. I think it is just his eyes that make him appear that way.

We couldn't get an appointment till tomorrow, but he is pretty much back to normal today. When I just got home from work he greeted me and is rubbing against my leg and meowing. But we want him checked over anyway.

Don

Old 03-11-2014, 07:05 AM

This morning we put out the cat carrier to take Chewy for his visit to the vet, and as always, he ran right inside. He loves it in there and will actually sleep in there with the door open if we let him. Lucky is another matter. He remembers going to the vet in it and as soon as he sees it he is hiding behind a chair.

But what I thought was touching was that Daisy laid down in front of the door on the carrier and hung out with her buddy Chewy while waiting for me to shower and get ready to go. It was as if she was keeping him company. I tried to get a picture of that but she moved off when I came out.

Don

Old 03-11-2014, 09:49 AM

We just got back from the vet (we tried a new one this time because our old vet is backed up for a while) and they were great. Chewy is healthy, a little overweight (but so am I ) and maybe has a very slight heart murmur, but nothing to really worry about. As for the nose running, it is a little kitty virus and they gave him a shot and some meds to put on his paw twice a day. Supposedly he will lick it off and ingest it that way.

He seemed to enjoy his day out and loved the ride in the car. When we stopped at McDonalds drive thru on the way home there is a white egret, or some kind of bird, who sits on the railing next to the drive thru every day and it begs for fries. Chewy was VERY interested in the bird. He was also a very good patient, something I was dreading because he goes nuts anytime we even try to put Frontline on his neck. So overall, he is ok.

While I was there I asked this vet her opinion of dry vs moist food and she said dry is fine as long as the cat doesn't need moist for moisture. She said if the cat is drinking water normally and has no digestion problems, it is not better to give moist over dry. She did suggest I switch him from the Iams Proactive Health formula to a Senior Formula due to him being 11 years old. I told her on this forum some people feel giving a cat dry food is not good and she said that is absolutely, 100% NOT TRUE.

That is two vets who have said exactly the same thing, so while I will be buying Chewy his Senior Formula Iams, I will not be going to moist.

Don

Old 03-11-2014, 10:22 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
......... She did suggest I switch him from the Iams Proactive Health formula to a Senior Formula due to him being 11 years old. I told her on this forum some people feel giving a cat dry food is not good and she said that is absolutely, 100% NOT TRUE.

That is two vets who have said exactly the same thing, so while I will be buying Chewy his Senior Formula Iams, I will not be going to moist.

Don
Check out this website. It's the most recommended site for feeding cats by a Lic Veterinarian. www.catinfo.com You have to remember that vets are taught nutrition by representatives of the feed companies. Surprised? It's really a conflict of interest and should not be allowed.

You may also want to Google "over vaccination" of cats and dogs. Another pet health issue worth learning about.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:50 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,570,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
We just got back from the vet (we tried a new one this time because our old vet is backed up for a while) and they were great. Chewy is healthy, a little overweight (but so am I ) and maybe has a very slight heart murmur, but nothing to really worry about. As for the nose running, it is a little kitty virus and they gave him a shot and some meds to put on his paw twice a day. Supposedly he will lick it off and ingest it that way.

He seemed to enjoy his day out and loved the ride in the car. When we stopped at McDonalds drive thru on the way home there is a white egret, or some kind of bird, who sits on the railing next to the drive thru every day and it begs for fries. Chewy was VERY interested in the bird. He was also a very good patient, something I was dreading because he goes nuts anytime we even try to put Frontline on his neck. So overall, he is ok.

While I was there I asked this vet her opinion of dry vs moist food and she said dry is fine as long as the cat doesn't need moist for moisture. She said if the cat is drinking water normally and has no digestion problems, it is not better to give moist over dry. She did suggest I switch him from the Iams Proactive Health formula to a Senior Formula due to him being 11 years old. I told her on this forum some people feel giving a cat dry food is not good and she said that is absolutely, 100% NOT TRUE.

Don
Yay....wonderful news for Chewy that it was nothing serious AND he apparently had a good day out with his Dad. Given the extremely heated debates I've witnessed over cat food on this forum I am Switzerland on the matter - but I predict this entire thread will swing rapidly southwards. Chewy will be back to his normal self in no time - and it's good he had a checkup just for good measure! Thanks for the update.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:06 PM

I threw the food thing in only for informational purposes.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats