Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 03:28 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,109,116 times

Advertisements

One of our bedrooms has been under renovation for the past few months. I tore it apart, spackled and primered the walls. Then I was redirected to the kitchen renovation. The room has been closed off for a few months. A few weeks ago, Bobbles got closed in there all night long. I woke up at 5 am to her crying.

Today, I was in the room and discovered she had peed on a pillow! It had been completely saturated all the way through---the pillowcase has dry stains on both sides. I tossed the pillow and pillowcase into the garbage even though the pillowcase is part of an expensive duvet set.

I'm assuming she did this the night she accidently was stuck in the room. That's why I'm trying to not be mad at her. I'm hoping she decided to select her own litter box and this will be just a one time thing. Has anyone had this happen and it didn't become an ongoing problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 03:40 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,614,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
One of our bedrooms has been under renovation for the past few months. I tore it apart, spackled and primered the walls. Then I was redirected to the kitchen renovation. The room has been closed off for a few months. A few weeks ago, Bobbles got closed in there all night long. I woke up at 5 am to her crying.

Today, I was in the room and discovered she had peed on a pillow! It had been completely saturated all the way through---the pillowcase has dry stains on both sides. I tossed the pillow and pillowcase into the garbage even though the pillowcase is part of an expensive duvet set.

I'm assuming she did this the night she accidently was stuck in the room. That's why I'm trying to not be mad at her. I'm hoping she decided to select her own litter box and this will be just a one time thing. Has anyone had this happen and it didn't become an ongoing problem?
It probably won't be a problem. Just make sure that you wash the surrounding bedding very thoroughly. Then press Bobbles to your face and tell her you're sorry for having negative thoughts about her. She'll forgive you.

Old 03-20-2014, 03:43 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,437,357 times
Yes, I'm sure it must have happened when she got stuck in there, and chose a nice absorbent surface to make do with. I don't think she'll revisit it. If it hasn't been closed up since then, she would probably have already gone back if she was going to. But I'm thinking it was a choice of last resort.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:46 PM

5,854 posts, read 5,291,299 times
We go away frequently. We have a dear friend who will come in everyday and feed the cats, change their litter box once a week, etc. This particular trip, there were others who came in. We were having the living room painted while we were gone. We trusted the painter-in fact, she had watched the cats for us in the past. Anyway, a few days before we were coming home, we got a phone call from our catsitter who told us that he couldn't find Electra. For 4 days I was VERY worried. There was no way that we could get home earlier than planned because we were flying.

When we FINALLY walked in the house, I said something to my husband and then I heard her SCREAMING. She was in our bedroom. How she got in there was beyond me. My catsitter AND my painter didn't go in there at all. They both know that we ALWAYS keep the door close and there was no need for them to go in. The only thing I could think of was my catsitter's daughter, who was (I think) 4 or 5 years old at time. He told me that she never opened the door. And of course, why would Electra let him know that she was in there? You KNOW she HAD to be hungry after a day or two.

Anyway, after being in there for FOUR days with no food or water-and no catbox, well, you can guess what she did-RIGHT ON MY NEW PILLOW!!!! Welcome Home, Mommy! I couldn't be mad at her. I just wish that she used the floor instead of the bed. So, after feeding Electra, the sheets/blankets went into the wash, the pillows went into the trash, & the Fabreese went on the mattress before it was flipped.

She never did that since. In fact, she usually steals my pillow from me to sleep on.

Cat

Old 03-20-2014, 05:43 PM

4,676 posts, read 10,001,154 times
Lily got shut in my bedroom when I left for work.

I didn't get home for 14 hours.

She picked the dirty laundry hamper.

Never has done it again.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:22 PM

41,991 posts, read 75,262,058 times
My childhood cat did it when my parents were away for the weekend and I accidentally shut the basement door.

She never used anything but the litter box again until she was very old and very ill.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:40 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,109,116 times
Thanks for the reassurance. Fortunately this pillow was on the floor. The bed had been removed from the room. I'll scrub the hardwood as a safety measure. I'm not sure if she only did it once or multiple times. It was a huge pee spot almost a foot wide, but it appeared to be one ring which seems to indicate it was one time.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:53 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,932,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Thanks for the reassurance. Fortunately this pillow was on the floor. The bed had been removed from the room. I'll scrub the hardwood as a safety measure. I'm not sure if she only did it once or multiple times. It was a huge pee spot almost a foot wide, but it appeared to be one ring which seems to indicate it was one time.
She may have held out as long as possible, and then decided that the pillow was the most "litter box like" object in the room. I too think it was an isolated event.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:57 AM

369 posts, read 760,870 times
I agree that it was probably an isolated incident out of necessity. Toby used to have a problem with peeing outside of the litter box, but he would always pee on the floor, not on things (thankfully). He wasn't looking for a substitute litter box like it seems that Bobbles was.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:12 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,577,812 times
Hopes, try not to stay mad at her - it happens sometimes. Perhaps you can replace the pillowcovers to match your set *fingers crossed* but I'm sure she didn't do it to upset you. I'm sending you a link for a product I discovered from another catlover here on CD and I won't ever be without it in my cleaning arsenal - it's that good at removing cat odors. Here's the link: Fizzion Clean
I don't watch the Cat from Hell guy, but apparently he endorses this stuff - all I know is that it WORKS - the smell is gone and it works good on removing stains on rugs etc. if they throw up (I have 22 cats in my house - trust me it works). I don't own any stock, not affiliated in any way. I order it from Amazon (best prices I've found) and I bought myself a nice big squirty bottle to mix it in at Walmart. I always have it mixed up - but I use it EVERY DAY at my house. Good luck!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats