Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 03:57 AM

96 posts, read 336,987 times

Advertisements

Feline aids, FIV, isn't necessary a death sentence and since he/she is still a baby, may test false positive. Can happen in kittens under 5 months old and this one is definitely under that. Hard to tell since he's so skinny but I'd guess around 10 weeks. If the mother was vaccinated against FIV, she can pass the antibodies to the babies and it will take a few months for those antibodies to leave the kitten's system. If a kitten under 5 months old tests positive, always isolate from other cats and retest every 60 days until the kitten is 6 months old. If still positive by then, it's more likely a true infection. Can still live many years with it though. Just putting this info out there for anyone who is unsure of FIV.

Hopefully the kitten tests negative and everything goes good at the vet! Looks really skinny but that's to be expected when the kitten's been living outside. Will likely need to be dewormed and flea treated. And some major TLC and food!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 10:48 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
Paws crossed for good results on the upcoming vet visit. From what you describe, I'd bet he/she was dumped somewhere in your area. A true feral wouldn't warm up to you that quickly.
But whatever the circumstances, I think this little one may just have won the kitty lottery.

Old 06-08-2014, 11:10 AM

2,288 posts, read 3,238,959 times
No matter how she got there, I'm glad she found good, loving people. Many, many years ago, my kids and I were in a bank drive-thur and the people behind us said TWO cats jumped down from under my car and ran off. So I know they came from my neighborhood, and I accidently relocated them. We looked for them, but never found them.

I hope you keep us updated, and I'd love to see pictures when she's fat & healthy. Hoping the vet visit goes perfect, and thank you and your son so much.

Old 06-08-2014, 12:43 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Hope my other Son decides to take her, she will have a great life with him.
Wouldn't that be fantastic, and you'd get visitation rights, too!

Best of luck with upcoming vet visits, etc.

Old 06-08-2014, 03:16 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,940,029 times
She/He is adorable!!! She was definitely brought into your family for a reason :-)

Hope her/his vet visit goes well and looking forward to updates!

Old 06-08-2014, 03:19 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
I just got home from work and am heading over to spend some time with her. My Son, who is interested in her, is coming to meet her too. I keep saying "her" but not real sure about if she is a he yet .

Don

Old 06-08-2014, 06:38 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
When I got to the shop tonight my two Sons were sitting on the floor, playing with the kitten. She was totally different from the scrawny, weak kitten of two days ago, she is getting fatter and was jumping around and being very friendly with them. My one Son had a string and she was chasing after it and then coming up to him to be petted.

He has decided to adopt her !!! That cat sold herself, she did all the right things and when he went to leave she was meowing for him. Wednesday is my day off and I will take her to the vet for her first checkup and we will (hopefully) be able to give her to my Son that night. He is very excited.

She is eating and drinking up a storm, and used the litter box twice while we were there. She is such a clean little cat. She kept covering up her poop until it was buried, which makes me think she is a she. I understand male cats are not that fussy about covering it all up, but who knows.

Anyway, my Son that found her, and I , are both relieved that my other Son is taking her. He has been wanting to get a second cat and the timing was perfect. I was sitting in a recliner there tonight and she briefly jumped up in my lap and looked at me before she jumped back down.

BTW, we came up with a theory that Mama Cat may have brought this kitten to our shop. My Son said Mama was acting strange that night, she kept looking out the garage door and kept leaving and coming back. Maybe she adopted this little one to replace the litter I got homes for. From time to time she would go into the office and look around before this all happened, as if she was looking for her kittens, who used to live in there with her.

It is the best theory we can come up with anyway.

Don

Old 06-08-2014, 07:05 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Smile *

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945
I just got home from work and am heading over to spend some time with her. My Son, who is interested in her, is coming to meet her too. I keep saying "her" but not real sure about if she is a he yet .
Well god bless you Don.... Its better than calling the kitty "IT"

I hate it when ppl do that!!

Old 06-08-2014, 07:11 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
Great news that your son has decided to adopt her. Her eating good, playing, and using the litter box are all good signs she's healthy (paws still crossed for a good vet visit). Your theory about Mama cat could be right. I'd like to think she brought the little one there on purpose, because she knew it would be well taken care of. Either way, just glad she's found a home with your family.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:18 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
He has decided to adopt her !!!
Yipeeeeeeee!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats