Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 02:11 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
As much as we have never de clawed a cat, what you say about training just isn't always true. If you would see the damage one of our cats did to our furniture and yes, we did everything to train her, you would realize it isn't something that can always be done. She finally stopped when we moved here and she became an indoor/outdoor cat. 90% of the time she was indoors, but every morning she went out for a few minutes and usually again in the late afternoon. For whatever reason she did stop using the furniture for sharpening her claws.

I also have known cats that have been de clawed at a very young age, age indoor cats, are happy and have done fine. In some cases it is either de claw or put the kittens down. With the over crowded shelters now, I would rather see a little cat find a home even if it mean de clawing, than see its life ended.

Years ago, no one would think of declawing a cat, but that was when all cats were outdoor animals and needed the claws.

I realize I am in the minority, but I do think there are times when declawing isn't the worst thing one can do to a very young cat.
You do realize that those de-clawed cats you have known could have possibly been living with pain & discomfort every day of their lives, and their humans may never have known it because cats are masters at hiding it. So you really can't say they were fine with 100% certainty.
But you're right. Training doesn't always work, and things can get damaged. So it boils down to what a person values more, and that could mean that a cat might not get a home. But I think de-clawing is almost too high of a price for the cat to have to pay to get that home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 02:48 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
You do realize that those de-clawed cats you have known could have possibly been living with pain & discomfort every day of their lives, and their humans may never have known it because cats are masters at hiding it. So you really can't say they were fine with 100% certainty.
But you're right. Training doesn't always work, and things can get damaged. So it boils down to what a person values more, and that could mean that a cat might not get a home. But I think de-clawing is almost too high of a price for the cat to have to pay to get that home.
I have seen x-rays of cats who've had painful and lasting damage from declawing. It is heartbreaking.

Yes, there can be some damage to things if you have clawed cats. However, any pet can cause damage--dogs can chew or scratch up doors or window frames, rabbits can chew things, any pet can urinate on a surface, etc. It's just what happens when you have a pet.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:26 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
I have seen x-rays of cats who've had painful and lasting damage from declawing. It is heartbreaking.

Yes, there can be some damage to things if you have clawed cats. However, any pet can cause damage--dogs can chew or scratch up doors or window frames, rabbits can chew things, any pet can urinate on a surface, etc. It's just what happens when you have a pet.
Kitty Katty has a limp that comes and goes and he has had xray etc and everything is fine. The vet came to the conclusion that it may very well be phantom limb pain....

Charlie has his claws and he actually uses a scratching post, they both do. We have been very lucky with that.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:42 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
yes, I do realize this, but I don't think any of us can judge whether the kitties are in pain their entire life. This isn't to min. the pain they suffer when being declawed. Again, when it becomes a decision between declawing or ending a kitty's life I would opt for the declawing thank you.

BTW, most of us who are pet owners and pet lovers know we have to live with some damage. Our dogs, luckily haven't done much damage except when we close them in the laundry room. They have scratched the door, but our cats started it, years ago: scratched doors, window ledges, cupboards, whatever. We are leaving everything the way it is as long as we have our kids. If they go and we do not replace them, the time will come to fix the damage.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
yes, I do realize this, but I don't think any of us can judge whether the kitties are in pain their entire life. This isn't to min. the pain they suffer when being declawed. Again, when it becomes a decision between declawing or ending a kitty's life I would opt for the declawing thank you.

BTW, most of us who are pet owners and pet lovers know we have to live with some damage. Our dogs, luckily haven't done much damage except when we close them in the laundry room. They have scratched the door, but our cats started it, years ago: scratched doors, window ledges, cupboards, whatever. We are leaving everything the way it is as long as we have our kids. If they go and we do not replace them, the time will come to fix the damage.
If you're talking about some sort of medical condition or infection that's life threatening that would require surgery to the paws, then I would have to agree with you. But that's most likely not the case with the vast majority of declawing procedures being done.
I applaud your decision not to declaw your cats. Furniture/woodwork can always be repaired or replaced, a cats claws cannot.

Old 08-28-2014, 05:41 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
Why would you have to choose between declawing or killing a cat?

Old 08-29-2014, 01:59 PM

20,393 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Why would you have to choose between declawing or killing a cat?
The implication I believe is for people who place a high value on their material possessions, who want a cat but won't tolerate damage...the cat may wind up with the alternatives of being declawed, or maybe not getting adopted (or being surrendered) and winding up euthanized. Or people who are excessively concerned about a cat scratching children or something.

Of course I find all of that preposterous. I'd rather have a comfy old couch with a nice throw cover, that my cat can feel truly free to scratch to his heart's delight (he does so under the hanging edge of the cover, on the back of the sofa, and it's not visible to anyone--so who cares? Not me!) And declawed cats are quicker to bite, and bites can be even worse than scratches in terms of injury. AND for those worried about the state of their homes, sometimes declawing even causes litterbox avoidance! I'd rather deal with claws than litterbox avoidance like, any day.

I like my boy in his most natural state possible, free to be the cat he is. Allowed on any surface (except the counters while I'm cooking, because I'm scared he'll get too close to a hot stove with all of his fluffiness--it's a safety issue) and free to scratch whatever he wants and make his mark on his territory with his little paws as he pleases. At least he doesn't spray or pee on anything!

I do clip his front claws sometimes, and he lets me because I've been doing it since he was a baby. Mostly because he likes to wake me up by poking at my feet with his claws and if they're razor sharp, it hurts...

Old 08-29-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
The implication I believe is for people who place a high value on their material possessions, who want a cat but won't tolerate damage...the cat may wind up with the alternatives of being declawed, or maybe not getting adopted (or being surrendered) and winding up euthanized. Or people who are excessively concerned about a cat scratching children or something.

Of course I find all of that preposterous. I'd rather have a comfy old couch with a nice throw cover, that my cat can feel truly free to scratch to his heart's delight (he does so under the hanging edge of the cover, on the back of the sofa, and it's not visible to anyone--so who cares? Not me!) And declawed cats are quicker to bite, and bites can be even worse than scratches in terms of injury. AND for those worried about the state of their homes, sometimes declawing even causes litterbox avoidance! I'd rather deal with claws than litterbox avoidance like, any day.

I like my boy in his most natural state possible, free to be the cat he is. Allowed on any surface (except the counters while I'm cooking, because I'm scared he'll get too close to a hot stove with all of his fluffiness--it's a safety issue) and free to scratch whatever he wants and make his mark on his territory with his little paws as he pleases. At least he doesn't spray or pee on anything!

I do clip his front claws sometimes, and he lets me because I've been doing it since he was a baby. Mostly because he likes to wake me up by poking at my feet with his claws and if they're razor sharp, it hurts...
Yep, me too.
You would feel right at home at my place.

Old 08-29-2014, 02:30 PM

20,393 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Quote:
Yep, me too.
You would feel right at home at my place.
I dunno....Kansas.... 'Course the most exposure I've had to the state has been driving that lonnnnng stretch o' nothing they call I-70.

Wanted to mention too, on this topic, I've flirted with the idea of getting a second cat but can't commit to it yet. Just haven't felt that the time was right...maybe it never will be. My Nimbus might be a one-cat-house-cat or somethin'. Dunno. But point being, I did pick up applications for a few shelters, in the area, and every one of 'em had a no declaw clause. The claws clause if you will. I'm happy about that.

Old 08-29-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I dunno....Kansas.... 'Course the most exposure I've had to the state has been driving that lonnnnng stretch o' nothing they call I-70.

Wanted to mention too, on this topic, I've flirted with the idea of getting a second cat but can't commit to it yet. Just haven't felt that the time was right...maybe it never will be. My Nimbus might be a one-cat-house-cat or somethin'. Dunno. But point being, I did pick up applications for a few shelters, in the area, and every one of 'em had a no declaw clause. The claws clause if you will. I'm happy about that.
Yeah, I know. I-70 in western Kansas can be, shall we say....uninteresting. It is a bit better down in my neck of the woods though.
Good to know the claws clause is becoming more common, and good luck with the future adoption, if & when that happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats