Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2014, 07:36 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,237,017 times

Advertisements

Hello again Cats Subforum. I'd like to once again tap into the wealth of knowledge on this subforum for some help for my cats.

I have one not picky eater (Renly) and one very picky eater (Patrick), and the vet says Renly is, perhaps not surprisingly, a bit overweight so he's on a diet. Patrick OTOH reminds me of a cat version of skinny teenager who only likes to eat junk food and turns his nose up at anything healthy. So the big issue I'm having right now is finding a brand of nutritious cat food that both my cats like and will eat within a reasonable time frame. I had been getting them Hills but Patrick has been pretty wishy-washy about it lately. What is happening now is that I am having to sort of coddle Patrick to get him to eat (he actually does eat when I spoon feed him but I am not particularly interested in spending my evenings spoon-feeding my 1.5 year old otherwise-healthy cat, lol), while also having to monitor Renly who will eagerly finish whatever Patrick doesn't.

Anyway, a friend recommended Solid Gold brand tuna for cats. I did some research and this brand gets almost categorically positive consumer reviews online. I purchased some cans and lo and behold, they both love it and will gobble it up.

The one reservation I have is that I've also heard tuna should not be a major staple of a cat's diet due to the mercury content. I know that Solid Gold is formulated specifically for cats and does contain the necessary nutrients not found in tuna processed for human consumption, but what about the mercury content?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 09:36 PM

4,676 posts, read 10,006,808 times
NO FISH!

Try Sheba chicken or turkey pate. Heat it up a little... to bring up the smell. It's low carb (less than 5%).
Both Lily and Charcoal have needed to lose weight and are.. and Lily's blood glucose level was becoming elevated. I started her on the Sheba.....and it is back down in normal range......and she's losing weight.

My other three - one of which is the pickiest of eaters..I had a heck of a time weaning him from his Momma kitty..after trying cans of this kitten food and that kitten food......finally gave him Sheba.....and he loved it.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:54 AM

11,280 posts, read 19,621,962 times
No fish, especially not tuna. All are very bad for cats, especially as an only diet.

Fish can be high in heavy metals, including mercury. Very toxic to cats.

The quality of the fish in pet foods is poor.

Fish is high in phosphorous and magnesium, which puts cats at a higher for risk for urinary tract disease.

Fish is high in histamine, which means it is a very high allergen to cats.

Fish can be addictive, causing the cat to refuse to eat anything else.

Tuna, specifically, can create a thiamine deficiency.

The fish in pet food is heavily preserved during the manufacturing process using a chemical preservative called ethoxyquin, which is known to be a cancer-causing agent.(Ethoxyquin is banned from use in human food except in very small quantities allowed as preservatives in spices.)

Old 10-30-2014, 09:03 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,684,336 times
And a third 'No fish' - especially ocean fish.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:32 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,846,687 times
In our house, "Tuna Formulated for Cats" is what's left in the bowl after mixing it with mayonnaise and making a Tuna Sandwich "Formulated for Humans".

Old 10-30-2014, 09:18 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,637,856 times
FWIW no fish, please! Others here said it before I could for sure, but your lil furbaby can't handle it as well as we humans can. Please spare their kidneys, I think, the stress & go poultry. No beef either, from what I recall. I feed ONLY RadCat Raw, & Turkey flavor, as Chicken seems to go rank too fast. Lamb is made by them too, but it is high in fat, & avoid it unless no Turkey is avail @ local feed store. Hope this helps your kitty's belly.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:35 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,237,017 times
Thank you everyone for the thoughtful replies and suggestions for alternatives. Looks like my reservations about fish were well-founded. So far there is a unanimous sentiment against fish for kitties so I will take that FWIW! Guess it's back to the drawing board for me. I'm thankful I have young healthy kitties and I can nip it in the bud before I risk issues.

Old 10-31-2014, 04:44 AM

11,280 posts, read 19,621,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
FWIW no fish, please! Others here said it before I could for sure, but your lil furbaby can't handle it as well as we humans can. Please spare their kidneys, I think, the stress & go poultry. No beef either, from what I recall. I feed ONLY RadCat Raw, & Turkey flavor, as Chicken seems to go rank too fast. Lamb is made by them too, but it is high in fat, & avoid it unless no Turkey is avail @ local feed store. Hope this helps your kitty's belly.

Glad to know she's still getting her Rad Cat, but you really should rotate the proteins. I thaw the Rad Cat slightly, cut it up into one ounce chunks, freeze the chunks in ice cube trays, then put them in freezer bags. Then I only have to take out and thaw what I need, no problems with it going bad before getting used up.

The lamb is higher in fat, but fed in rotation is not bad for kitty, ans fat from meat is an important part of a cat's diet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats