Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2015, 10:59 AM

20,396 posts, read 14,667,898 times

Advertisements

I've wondered, watching his show, what his thoughts on feline nutrition are...turns out, he's totally in the know (why am I not at all surprised?) Love me some Jackson Galaxy!

http://youtu.be/2biwZd0spyg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 11:27 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,373,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I've wondered, watching his show, what his thoughts on feline nutrition are...turns out, he's totally in the know (why am I not at all surprised?) Love me some Jackson Galaxy!

http://youtu.be/2biwZd0spyg
I've always had the feeling that JG would be up to speed on nutritional info/education, and wondered why the subject never came up on his shows. Then I realized that if he started preaching against dry food during prime time, he might bite the sponsors' hand that feeds him. If he is as popular in the cat world as I think he is, then he will do a lot of good by spreading the word.

Old 02-24-2015, 11:54 AM

Yeah, I think Animal Planet, with all of their Big Chow commercial sponsors, would freak if he started talking about raw diets and proper cat nutrition...

Old 02-24-2015, 12:03 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,494,000 times
He is GOOD friends and business buddies with Dr. Jean Hofve DVM (retired). She is the founder of Little Big Cat | Mind-Body Consulting for Cats
That is a pretty BIG clue, concerning his knowledge and beliefs.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
He is GOOD friends and business buddies with Dr. Jean Hofve DVM (retired). She is the founder of Little Big Cat | Mind-Body Consulting for Cats
That is a pretty BIG clue, concerning his knowledge and beliefs.
I hadn't done much looking into his associations, affiliations, and friendships...I just totally love his show.

And I'm not surprised that he's in on the all wet, raw is better, cat food movement. I am just glad to see videos like this. It saddens me when new folks encounter it and think it's some crazy fringe movement by "the weird internet people." Especially given that their vets have told them otherwise. The more reputable names and voices get behind this, the better.

Old 02-26-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I hadn't done much looking into his associations, affiliations, and friendships...I just totally love his show.

And I'm not surprised that he's in on the all wet, raw is better, cat food movement. I am just glad to see videos like this. It saddens me when new folks encounter it and think it's some crazy fringe movement by "the weird internet people." Especially given that their vets have told them otherwise. The more reputable names and voices get behind this, the better.
That's a big part of the problem. Vets have direct contact & influence with the large majority of cat owners, and what they say/advise carries a lot of weight. No one on the planet could have more potential for change on cat dietary issues than they do. They as a group could do so much good for cats overall long term health if they would just educate their selves, and stop being a marketing tool for the corporate pet food industries. They could effect change much quicker, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:01 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
That's a big part of the problem. Vets have direct contact & influence with the large majority of cat owners, and what they say/advise carries a lot of weight. No one on the planet could have more potential for change on cat dietary issues than they do. They as a group could do so much good for cats overall long term health if they would just educate their selves, and stop being a marketing tool for the corporate pet food industries. They could effect change much quicker, but I don't see that happening any time soon.
Vets "in the know" can't speak up publicly, or risk being heavily fined or booted...unless they own their own practice and aren't associated with the veterinary associations.

Jackson Galaxy isn't a vet. Probably why he DOES know about feline nutrition. Anyway you will notice, in the video, that he pretty much let Margaret Gates (Feline Nutrition) do all the talking and explaining. Can't tick off those pet food sponsors!

Old 02-27-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
Vets "in the know" can't speak up publicly, or risk being heavily fined or booted...unless they own their own practice and aren't associated with the veterinary associations.

Jackson Galaxy isn't a vet. Probably why he DOES know about feline nutrition. Anyway you will notice, in the video, that he pretty much let Margaret Gates (Feline Nutrition) do all the talking and explaining. Can't tick off those pet food sponsors!
That's probably true, unfortunately, and what it means is that the vet care we want for our pets is way too heavily influenced veterinary associations which are way too heavily influenced by the pet food industry. I may be in the minority, but I don't care if my vet belongs to, or is endorsed by any 'association', national or otherwise. I only care that he is legally licensed, competent, and doing the best he can for my animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats