Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2015, 09:57 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times

Advertisements

A pair of scrub jays in my backyard have been very vocal lately. They actually drove off a neighbor's cat that likes to sleep on our back porch cat tree.

So I wasn't that surprised when I went out into the backyard the other day with our indoor/outdoor cat Beatrice and saw a baby scrub jay perched awkwardly on a bush, flapping its wings and not getting anywhere. As soon as I saw him I grabbed her and brought her back in. She hasn't been allowed outside unsupervised since.

A friend of ours has a cat that's allowed to roam freely and often brings home prey. So far it's been a baby gopher, bats, hummingbirds, mice, California giant salamanders and (sadly) a baby rabbit. We'd rather not let our cats do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 12:29 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
A pair of scrub jays in my backyard have been very vocal lately. They actually drove off a neighbor's cat that likes to sleep on our back porch cat tree.

So I wasn't that surprised when I went out into the backyard the other day with our indoor/outdoor cat Beatrice and saw a baby scrub jay perched awkwardly on a bush, flapping its wings and not getting anywhere. As soon as I saw him I grabbed her and brought her back in. She hasn't been allowed outside unsupervised since.

A friend of ours has a cat that's allowed to roam freely and often brings home prey. So far it's been a baby gopher, bats, hummingbirds, mice, California giant salamanders and (sadly) a baby rabbit. We'd rather not let our cats do that.
Those "cute" baby rabbits grow to be big rabbits and are dang destructive. They've dug under my garden fence in several areas, eat my vegetables, eat my flowers, eat my plants. My dog keeps snuffling around the garden...I suspect there is a nest in the corner where the raspberry canes are. Not too happy about that. Eliminating mice is DEFINITELY not a bad thing! That's a very good thing!

My cats are inside cats, so they have to be content hunting any bugs that get inside.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Those "cute" baby rabbits grow to be big rabbits and are dang destructive.
Oh, I know. We don't kill anything, though. Not mice, squirrels, snails, spiders... I understand some people think all those creatures deserve killing but we think it's not our job to decide what lives and what dies.

Old 06-28-2015, 10:48 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
Quote:
Oh, I know. We don't kill anything, though. Not mice, squirrels, snails, spiders... I understand some people think all those creatures deserve killing but we think it's not our job to decide what lives and what dies.
I kill any mouse that gets into my house. In the fall I will put bucket traps around the outer perimeter for mice. Any spider that stays outside is fine....but if it crosses into the interior of my home, it's fair game for whoever sees it first....me or the cats. And I'm at war with ants....ant hills in my yard, ant hills by my sidewalk, ant hills in my driveway....lots of diatomaceous earth and some sugar/borax bait has helped a LOT.

Old 06-28-2015, 10:51 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,808,426 times
Quote:
Do you kill mosquitoes and roaches?

Old 06-29-2015, 05:12 PM

351 posts, read 285,237 times
Cats like to get a little sunshine and fresh air especially in the warm days of summer so if at all possible you might want to build a enclosure for them.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:38 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
The other night at the shop, when Mama Cat came to eat her nightly meal, a bird flew down and started making a hell of a racket. It kept working it's way closer to Mama and she retreated under my car for safety. I put her food inside the shop and she was able to eat in peace.

The next night, she came running up the parking lot and a flock of birds were flying close to her and she was very afraid. My Son chased them off but Mama was still really spooked. Tonight I didn't see any birds, so maybe the nesting season is over.

I've never seen birds so aggressive toward a cat, they were obviously really mad at her for something. I guess they were protecting their nest. We have had residents at our apartment complex divebombed lately too. If it keeps up I am going to break out the BB gun at the shop and solve the problem of them bothering Mama.

Don

Old 07-02-2015, 09:02 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,061,719 times
Baby bird season means it's also flying cat food season!

Old 07-03-2015, 06:16 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,653,990 times
It's also baby chipmunk season, and it's a bumper crop this year. The cats are huddled around the home-entertainment system (aka glass doors overlooking the patio) from sunrise to sunset as the little stripey things speed back and forth beneath the bird feeders. It's all quite a sight!

Old 07-03-2015, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
Do you kill mosquitoes and roaches?
No. We don't really have roaches here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats