Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 08:04 AM

289 posts, read 453,818 times

Advertisements

So my cat has made the second bedroom her home. She sleeps under the comforter at night (and probably all day while I'm at work). I have house guests coming this week and I needed to clean the linens. Now she's not allowed back in there until the company leaves bc she sheds too much. As a result, last night (her first night locked out) she was up all night. All over me and my bed. Walking around my place with nowhere to settle comfortably. And as a result of all that, 'I' was up all night. I understand change is not easy but how can I make tonight better (for both of us) than last night. And all the upcoming nights. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 08:45 AM

11,355 posts, read 19,774,083 times
How long will your house guest be there? I'd probably let the cat have her room, give the guest my room, and sleep on the couch for the duration.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:53 AM

That's interesting. Never thought of it. Guest will be here for 3 nights. Then my mom for Thanksgiving (7 nights).

Old 10-31-2015, 01:58 PM

25,022 posts, read 11,437,335 times
Have you asked the house guests if they mind a fury companion?

Old 10-31-2015, 02:06 PM

It's not that the guest would mind the company (she had a cat until very recently) its that my cat sheds so much that I took the comforter to be cleaned yesterday and I was DENIED service bc they wash in bulk and there was too much cat hair. (sorry for the run-on sentence). I'm just trying to keep it as clean in there as possible.

So the sheets and pillow cases have been washed and I don't want to get them 'sheddy' again. But I've decided that I'll throw a small little blanket on the bed, let my cat have the room back, and then I'll just have to clean the sheets again before the guest arrives.

Old 10-31-2015, 03:22 PM

11,355 posts, read 19,774,083 times
You can put a plain sheet over all the bedding on the bed, then remove it when the guest gets there.

Old 10-31-2015, 03:48 PM

14,538 posts, read 21,352,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box*of*rain View Post
It's not that the guest would mind the company (she had a cat until very recently) its that my cat sheds so much that I took the comforter to be cleaned yesterday and I was DENIED service bc they wash in bulk and there was too much cat hair. (sorry for the run-on sentence). I'm just trying to keep it as clean in there as possible.

So the sheets and pillow cases have been washed and I don't want to get them 'sheddy' again. But I've decided that I'll throw a small little blanket on the bed, let my cat have the room back, and then I'll just have to clean the sheets again before the guest arrives.
If they lost their cat recently, maybe they'd enjoy the company of the cat. I have longhaired cats with plentiful fluff, and make sure everything is washable, including the comforters. One has to go to the big machine at the laundramat, but I assume they'll need more cleaning than without fluffy cats. You could also let the blanket be the cat's personal one, and if he isn't in the room he moves with his blanket.

I've found more problem with blankets and such and my short haired dogs. Its silky but stick in them. The dryer gets the fluffy stuff easier than the short dog hair. (they are shepard mixes)

Old 10-31-2015, 04:14 PM

10,225 posts, read 18,006,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box*of*rain View Post
Get a duvet and duvet cover instead of a comforter, that way you can clean the duvet cover yourself and don't have to take it to a cleaner.

Is there a reason you can't just temporarily close both bedroom doors and let the cat sleep on the couch or something? She'll find a comfortable place to sleep if she can't be in either bedroom, but I would also get her a cat bed and/or blanket.

Old 10-31-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Get a duvet and duvet cover instead of a comforter, that way you can clean the duvet cover yourself and don't have to take it to a cleaner.

Is there a reason you can't just temporarily close both bedroom doors and let the cat sleep on the couch or something? She'll find a comfortable place to sleep if she can't be in either bedroom, but I would also get her a cat bed and/or blanket.

If I shut her out of my room (even IF she had access to her room) she'd be scratching all night at my door.

It's not the cat that is the problem. My guest loves her. It's the hairy linens .

I've considered a cat bed but I don't think she'd make it her own every night. But maybe....I won't know until I actually try it out.

The duvet cover is another good idea!

Thanks you guys.

Old 11-01-2015, 06:20 AM

4,620 posts, read 15,048,556 times
One of my cats picked the guest bed as a nap spot. As catsmom21 suggested, putting a sheet over the clean bed, is a great solution - it's what I do. Depending on the size of the bed, buy a sheet that's a bigger size and then you can tuck it in under the mattress if your cat likes to sleep under things. For example, my two guest beds are twins, and I bought queen-sized sheets to go over them ... actually bought 4 sheets so that two can be in the wash and the other clean two put on the bed. If your cat tries to get under the sheet cover, maybe put another one on top that she can get under.

Now, when your guests are visiting, if they don't mind a "sleep mate", then your cat will make the decision about whether to sleep there or not, and since she will be making the decision (rather than the decision made for her by shutting her out), she might be more relaxed during the night and find herself another spot by her own choice. If your guests prefer not to have her with them, their presence may alter your cat's thought process anyway, and she might decide to sleep elsewhere on her own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats