Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 09:41 PM

80 posts, read 73,064 times

Advertisements

two of my cats love water .(odd, aren't they?)

So, after applying medicine on the back of their neck, the medicine seems to wear out after 3~4 times of bathing and swimming.
I've found some tick/flea collar for dogs, (not cats)

Discount flea tick treatments, heart & intestinal worming dogs & cats
collar - Free Shipping at Chewy.com

- chewy.com seems a bit more expensive than petbucket, as I expected.

I was not aware of the fact that these things come into the form of 'collar.'
I think it's a wonderful solution for my cats.

I googled a bit, and found some but they don't sell on the internet.
Does anyone use 'tick/flea collar' for your cats?
or, are there any other good solutions for water-loving cats?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 03:34 AM

4,620 posts, read 15,027,168 times
No, I've never used a flea collar on any of my dogs nor cats for a number of reasons.

This link gives most of the reasons: https://www.medicanimal.com/Understa...ts/a/ART111485

First, it is odd that your cats like water! They must have some tiger genes in them :-)

Second, unless your cats are a breed that needs bathing (such as Sphynx for example) or there are allergy reasons that necessitate it, frequent bathing interferes with the natural oils a cat produces and needs for healthy skin and coat. Since topicals last for a month and "the medicine seems to wear out after 3~4 times of bathing and swimming", that sounds like your cats are hitting the water once a week.

Rather than a collar, maybe research and consider a tablet form. I'm not a fan of Comfortis, but I have used Capstar (however, this is an immediate treatment and not a protective/preventative one).

Some cat owners (me as one) only treat for fleas when necessary (seasonally or when fleas appear). It's my belief that some topicals have become less effective because the fleas get used to it, evolve and become immune. So, I personally disagree with the last sentence in the linked article above that treatment should be year round. I think it depends on locale.

Back to the collars, I can't stand the smell, so I can imagine that my pets' more sensitive noses would be bothered by it even more. I also don't like the way they feel, so I'm not keen on putting that around my pets' necks. As for cats and collars, how a collar is placed has to be perfect: too loose and the cat's leg can get caught in it; too tight and it doesn't come off if it snags on anything. I've not seen a flea collar that is break-away as cat collars should be.

Old 10-14-2015, 03:56 AM

11,314 posts, read 19,695,487 times
Never. Highly toxic and not very effective besides. Once dry the topicals are water proof. If your cats go outside and need flea protection use a known safe (relatively speaking) effective spot on such as advantage, frontline plus or revolution, the For Cats ONLY. Don't use dog products on cats.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:46 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,284,680 times
Nope. My kitty is indoor so no preventative at all. It's been over a decade and no fleas. My ex tried it on his kitties that caught fleas but it didn't work. The fleas just move closer to the butt area.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:38 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,577,436 times
I have never tried. I know that when I was tempted to put a regular collar on one of my cats, I about came back with a bloody stump where my hand should be. A hint that they don't like collars.

Old 10-14-2015, 05:31 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,817,588 times
Nope... not since the 70s before I knew better. I'm fortunate I never lost a cat to them the way the clasps were designed so a cat couldn't lose it... but would be strangled by it.

We are using neck drops like Frontline Plus or Advantage II. We just switched to Frontline because it also kills ticks. Even though our cats are rarely outside, we want to be safe(r) because ticks are nasty little things.

Nobody should ever use an off the shelf brand like Hertz (yes because it hurts). That stuff is dangerous.

Old 10-14-2015, 09:12 PM

7,201 posts, read 15,047,765 times
No. And never will use them on our cats. We use Advantage II or Revolution and an Insect Growth Regulator spray in our house. 100% effective.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:01 AM

19,718 posts, read 16,920,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Nope... not since the 70s before I knew better. I'm fortunate I never lost a cat to them the way the clasps were designed so a cat couldn't lose it... but would be strangled by it.

We are using neck drops like Frontline Plus or Advantage II. We just switched to Frontline because it also kills ticks. Even though our cats are rarely outside, we want to be safe(r) because ticks are nasty little things.

Nobody should ever use an off the shelf brand like Hertz (yes because it hurts). That stuff is dangerous.
Same here. I used to put one on Sniffy years ago, but one morning I found the collar hanging from a dinning room chair post ! The thought of her hanging there scared me to death and she never wore another one and neither has any of our other cats.

Don

Old 10-15-2015, 08:18 AM

194 posts, read 239,163 times
Capstar is an awesome product. No yucky topical. This is the first time I have experienced fleas and it works wonderfully. Within 45 minutes you start to see dead ones.

Old 10-15-2015, 12:54 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,439,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by welby1205 View Post
Capstar is an awesome product. No yucky topical. This is the first time I have experienced fleas and it works wonderfully. Within 45 minutes you start to see dead ones.
I've never used Capstar, but as I understand it, it's only good for temporary relief from a flea infestation, not long-term prevention. For that you need to use a different product. I've been applying Revolution year-round for about 2 years now (switched from Frontline), and haven't seen one flea since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats