Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2015, 06:25 PM

2 posts, read 1,161 times

Advertisements

Forgive me if anything seems incorrect, I was scanning around about my new kitten(received Friday) and his biting when I stumbled onto here

I have had my two Chihuahua dogs (Buddy and Kirby) for about two an half years now. They've never gotten along with cats super well but, they never try to hurt them, just play with them really(chasing them and barking when they run is the only aggression).
I don't actually know anything about this little kitten(we assume he is five or six weeks old) as a friend of my parents gave it to them and said the rest of the litter and the mother had been taken by large dogs and that this little guy was the only one left and being tormented. I've found no damage to him and he actually seems to love my dogs and this is actually almost the issue.
This little kitten just does not understand when to stop playing. He harasses my dogs constantly and so at night they actually do get mad at him and I worry about leaving him out for Kirby is scared of him and might hurt him. Is there anyway to get him to learn that isn't 'the hard way'? I haven't gotten to go to the store for toys yet and I'd hate to ruin his adorable playfulness but I am worried my dogs snap at him to get him to leave them alone.

Apologies for the long story, any advice would be really lovely though. Is this just something you think he'll grow out of? Thank you for reading and any posts made. <3
In case anyone is curious since I didn't mention it, the cats name is Ethan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 08:14 PM

10,213 posts, read 17,867,035 times
Can you not just separate them at night? If you don't want to lock any of them in a single room, maybe try a baby gate? The kitten will likely grow out of it but it could take a long time.

Old 11-02-2015, 05:35 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,983,217 times
I agree. For now while the kitten is so young, small, naïve, it would be best not to let him and the dogs be together unsupervised. He will eventually learn limits, and to a degree "the hard way" - that's what kittens do with their littermates ... which is another huge reason why kittens shouldn't be separated from mom and siblings at too young an age ... in the case of yours, that wasn't the scenario but was one of lifesaving. So, you and your dogs are now the replacements for mom and siblings.

Don't worry about thinking his adorable playfulness will be ruined if you control when. Truthfully you also want to train him that nighttime isn't time for rambunctious play - that's not something you'll want when he's a full grown cat! Additionally, a span of time that the dogs don't have to deal with that tiny "annoying" ball of fur will help make them more tolerant of him.

Old 11-02-2015, 06:17 PM

2 posts, read 1,161 times
Yes I can separate them I just feel bad doing so since he is stuck in there while the pups roam about still. He sleeps in his kennel that I actually have set on my bed since I can sleep through a lot and don't want him to be stuck whining for food or something and me not hear him.
I've not left them alone(and all out roaming around) together just yet. Hopefully it wont be too bad for any of them when he does start to learn that his claws hurt and he must not be so hyper. As well I am sad that he had to be separated from his family but am glad he was at least found before getting hurt or worse. He seems very happy though often cuddling me (and clawing my face when I try and talk.. ouch D: and even the dogs when he is actually calm.
At night I've been putting him up when he starts or continues the hyper behavior and letting him stay out when he is calm. Hopefully he'll pick up on that if not as he gets older I'll work out some training method for him.

Thank you for the responses by the way! It means a lot

Old 11-02-2015, 06:38 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,989,806 times
If you haven't already, kitty should be seen by your vet.

Old 11-03-2015, 05:01 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,983,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperBear View Post
Yes I can separate them I just feel bad doing so since he is stuck in there while the pups roam about still. He sleeps in his kennel that I actually have set on my bed since I can sleep through a lot and don't want him to be stuck whining for food or something and me not hear him.
I've not left them alone(and all out roaming around) together just yet. Hopefully it wont be too bad for any of them when he does start to learn that his claws hurt and he must not be so hyper. As well I am sad that he had to be separated from his family but am glad he was at least found before getting hurt or worse. He seems very happy though often cuddling me (and clawing my face when I try and talk.. ouch D: and even the dogs when he is actually calm.
At night I've been putting him up when he starts or continues the hyper behavior and letting him stay out when he is calm. Hopefully he'll pick up on that if not as he gets older I'll work out some training method for him.

Thank you for the responses by the way! It means a lot
Don't feel badly about separating! He doesn't see it as "punishment" or anything like that. It does "look" like that to us, but not to him.

It's great to ignore undesired behaviors (hyper play when you're trying to sleep) and reward desired behaviors (calm when you're trying to sleep). Although it can take kittens a bit longer to get the drift, he will figure out that he gets rewarded (the warm-fuzzies) with certain behaviors and gets no reward for others, and he'll learn which behaviors are more enjoyable and will ditch the ones that aren't. (At least that's the general idea of behavior training :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats