Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2015, 11:47 PM

21 posts, read 293,875 times

Advertisements

Hello so I recently got a new kitten I have another cat who i have had for 5 or so years. The kitten is litter trained and everything but until it adapts to the new home I have to keep it in my bedroom as no other room is quiet enough or calm enough at any given moment to help it get used to living here my issue is I have a smallish room and arnt entirely up for putting a litter box in here but I need to teach this one where it is normally I would show it and let it learn but because I have not introduced it to my other cat yet I'm unsure what to do is there any alternative to putting a litter box in my room before I let the cats meet. Any advice would be accepted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 06:43 AM

457 posts, read 497,511 times
I've dealt with this a few times over the years. I've always just placed the additional box where it is needed temporarily (bedroom in your case) until kitty is used to her surroundings, it shouldn't really be more than a couple of days. Once everyone is acclimated to their new life I removed the extra box and showed the new addition where the permanent box is. I usually place the kitty in the box before it's cleaned so they get the scent of all of the wonderfulness. I've never had a problem. Just put the new kitty in the box a couple of times and she should catch on with no problem. Good luck and have fun with the new kitty.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:13 AM

21 posts, read 293,875 times
Thanks I will try this she still hides within the room but last night while I was lying down she started exploring my guess is this will be her routine for the next few days is wait till I'm out of the room or sleeping to explore which is fine I have to spend time with my other cat every once in a while to make sure he doesn't feel neglected ya know thanks for the advice

Last edited by Rairokun; 12-18-2015 at 08:14 AM.. Reason: Confusing typo

Old 12-18-2015, 01:06 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,926,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tla921 View Post
I've dealt with this a few times over the years. I've always just placed the additional box where it is needed temporarily (bedroom in your case) until kitty is used to her surroundings, it shouldn't really be more than a couple of days. Once everyone is acclimated to their new life I removed the extra box and showed the new addition where the permanent box is. I usually place the kitty in the box before it's cleaned so they get the scent of all of the wonderfulness. I've never had a problem. Just put the new kitty in the box a couple of times and she should catch on with no problem. Good luck and have fun with the new kitty.
I've done the same. Since it's a kitten, you could probably use a smaller box as a temporary box in your bedroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats