Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 12:51 PM

30,254 posts, read 23,725,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
This isn't a ''cute'' or pleasant story. It's the tragic account of a cat who was killed because of the owner's irresponsibility. Cats do not belong on the streets. Note that not one of the students ever tried to rescue and adopt the cat.
I completely disagree with you. In one of the areas I lived in Seattle, a neighbor had a tiny gray cat that would visit all of the neighbors in one of the four apartment buildings on the corner. Every so often, Sophie would join us in our apartment for the night.

Anyway, we finally met the owner after about six months of these visits, and seeing Sophie walk around the area...which we called the "court yard" although it was just a matter of four apartment buildings together with an alley way and parking lots "joining" them as a little community.

The owner knew that her cat went on visits, had slumber parties with the neighbors, and that she was well taken care of. Sophie's quality of life was extremely high because her owner allowed this to happen, and let me tell you, as an added bonus, how touched I was that the owner trusted us. Not a single one of us betrayed that trust...in all four buildings. Not one single tenant. We never tried to "rescue and adopt" her either. It wasn't a widely publicized thing that there was a little gray cat that would do this, each tenant, after moving in, would figure it out for themselves - after they had brought her in to visit, and then let her back out.

Not everyone is evil, out to hurt a cat. Cats can go outdoors and live happy lives for many years. Not every cat that goes outside is going to die by horrific circumstances. Our cat that we had when I was growing up was hardly ever allowed inside - only in the winter time and feeding time. She lived to 20 years old. Quality of life is what matters. Our cat we had growing up, Sophie, and many other cats get a good quality of life when they are allowed outdoors. People need to get a grip on this subject. I did. I used to think the same thing...but I've realized that quality of life is what matters. It matters to humans, why not cats? Do we keep our kids inside at all times because they might get hit by a car? Do we keep them inside because someone might take them? Do we keep them inside because they might get an illness from other people? Do we keep them inside because someone might hurt them? No, we don't. What kind of life would that be for a kid? What kind of life is it for a cat who wants to go outside, never to be allowed to go outside? Ridiculous.

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 01-09-2016 at 01:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 05:15 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,564,191 times
Do you let a three year old wander the streets? If you are comparing cats to kids in your generalization, that's about the equivalent. Able to walk, not able to make safe decisions for his or herself .

Cats are individuals, though I concede there are probably some cats who never can adjust, the majority can, and should, be kept inside or in cat proofed yards, especially in areas where there are a lot of people. There is no loss of quality of life, these are house pets.

Not EVER would I risk a cat of mine to roam and visit inside neighbors' (strangers, no less) homes in the situation you describe. Not ever. I wouldn't let a child do it either.

The last cat I rescued from living outside on her own wanted nothing to do with going outside in my fenced yard when summer came her first year here. She wanted to stay inside where she was safe, loved and warm. She did, eventually, learn to enjoy the yard. But it took a long time.

Quote:
Not every cat that goes outside is going to die by horrific circumstances.
I would think one would be enough. And it is much much more than one. And friendly cats are at much higher risk than scaredy cats.

These kind of "neighborhood cat" stories don't warm my heart, they make me cringe.

Old 01-09-2016, 05:23 PM

1,038 posts, read 902,391 times
Yes all cats should be kept at home

the cat haters can deal with their own rats and mice

Old 01-09-2016, 07:24 PM

30,254 posts, read 23,725,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Do you let a three year old wander the streets? If you are comparing cats to kids in your generalization, that's about the equivalent. Able to walk, not able to make safe decisions for his or herself .

Cats are individuals, though I concede there are probably some cats who never can adjust, the majority can, and should, be kept inside or in cat proofed yards, especially in areas where there are a lot of people. There is no loss of quality of life, these are house pets.

Not EVER would I risk a cat of mine to roam and visit inside neighbors' (strangers, no less) homes in the situation you describe. Not ever. I wouldn't let a child do it either.

The last cat I rescued from living outside on her own wanted nothing to do with going outside in my fenced yard when summer came her first year here. She wanted to stay inside where she was safe, loved and warm. She did, eventually, learn to enjoy the yard. But it took a long time.

I would think one would be enough. And it is much much more than one. And friendly cats are at much higher risk than scaredy cats.

These kind of "neighborhood cat" stories don't warm my heart, they make me cringe.
Ridiculous argument. Are you implying that cats at the age of 2 years old are equivalent to a human toddler?

Is that what you're going with?

Old 01-09-2016, 08:00 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,254,914 times
I adopted a pair of young kittens. They do not go outside unless the show is deep, the temperature is cold, and the wind is strong. One will go out for 20 minutes and return. I am on a busy street. Luckily they don't like the cars and semi-trucks. They have 1500 square feet and full basement to play in, beds to sleep on, ladders to climb, balls to chase, one fetches, and a daily INDY 500 race to run. They are a year old and I think they are spoiled. But, to their credit they have good social skills, good manners, and a sweet disposition. Both look at themselves in the bathroom mirror, and they weigh themselves on the bathroom scale. Ahd they are generally nicer that two-year old kiddies.

I think most persons who have owned more than one cat understand who the boss is. It is not you or me.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:05 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,921,731 times
You don't choose the cat the cat chooses you.
Who doesn't know this ?
I've had cats that were like glue, and those that had a mind of their own and bummed around all he time.
Cats are unique creatures and take patience when getting familiar,,,,,,,,,,,, they need space.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:27 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,952,205 times
We have a daily visitor now, a smallish handsome black tabby named Bruce. He comes from three houses away, meows to be let inside our house and plays (or attempts to) with our older cats. He is 9 months old, his owners say. All he wants to do is play. At first our cats hissed and gave him the cold shoulder but now my 10 year old streaks around here like he's found his second kittenhood.

I am very glad Bruce comes to visit. We are quiet people who tend to work too much and he brightens up our days. If I put a toy outside on the deck for him, he takes it home.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Ridiculous argument. Are you implying that cats at the age of 2 years old are equivalent to a human toddler?

Is that what you're going with?
It was you who brought up the comparison of children and cats. I would not let a child of three wander any more than I would let a cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
We have a daily visitor now, a smallish handsome black tabby named Bruce. He comes from three houses away, meows to be let inside our house and plays (or attempts to) with our older cats. He is 9 months old, his owners say. All he wants to do is play. At first our cats hissed and gave him the cold shoulder but now my 10 year old streaks around here like he's found his second kittenhood.

I am very glad Bruce comes to visit. We are quiet people who tend to work too much and he brightens up our days. If I put a toy outside on the deck for him, he takes it home.
Why would you let a strange cat, a cat allowed to roam outdoors exposed to who knows what, close contact with your indoor senior cats?

My cats are 12, 11 and almost 6. The twelve year old is almost as active as the five year old, and the five year old is not much less active than she was at one year old. All my (indoor) cats have been so active right into their advanced senior years, because I pay attention to them and engage them in interactive Games on a daily basis. They don't need a strange cat to come in, to get them to play.

When bringing in a new cat of unknown health, the new cat is quarantined until good health/no parasites/no diseases is assured.

And even cats that are going to be outside cats should not be let out until they are at least a year old. Your remark "all he wants to do is play" illustrates my point perfectly,. A nine month old cat is all about the play. A cat at that age is far more likely to chase something out into the street, right under the wheels of a car, than a cat who has at least had a chance to mature. An adult cat will pause, watch, stalk, before pouncing, not run headlong like a kitten does. The risk is there, for any cat, but at 9 months old, the risk is much greater. Your neighbors have no sense at all.

Old 01-10-2016, 06:17 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,952,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Why would you let a strange cat, a cat allowed to roam outdoors exposed to who knows what, close contact with your indoor senior cats?
It must be really frustrating to you that other people are allowed to have cats. I know your type. You want them all because only you can save them. There's nothing like volunteering in a cat shelter to acquaint one with some of the offbeat control-freaky characters who think they have all the answers.

Enjoy your cats. I know I enjoy mine.

Old 01-10-2016, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
It must be really frustrating to you that other people are allowed to have cats. I know your type. You want them all because only you can save them. There's nothing like volunteering in a cat shelter to acquaint one with some of the offbeat control-freaky characters who think they have all the answers.

Enjoy your cats. I know I enjoy mine.

You quoted my question but didn't answer it. Hurling insults doesn't contribute to this discussion. Answering the question would, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats