Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2016, 05:59 PM

172 posts, read 185,551 times

Advertisements

We are trying to catch feral cats so that they can be neutered and spayed. They are hard to catch even with a humane cage. Any advice on how to lure them in. We are feeding and taking care of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 10:14 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,255,402 times
What kind of cage are you using? I use a Havahart and I have had a lot of success with it. However, I recently had to trap one wily boy cat who wouldn't go in the trap. I was all set to buy a drop trap, but he finally went into the Havahart and I didn't need to buy the drop trap. You can read more about drop traps here: Traps :: Feral Cat Traps & Accessories :: Cat Trap Kits with Free Standard Shipping :: KITDT1 - Neighborhood Cats Drop Trap and Transfer Cage - Free Standard Shipping I am pretty sure you can get them on Amazon.com. In fact, I remember reading good reviews of that Tomahawk trap on Amazon.

Did you first leave the trap propped open and put the food in it, so the kitties got used to the idea of eating inside the trap? I had to trap 2 a few months ago, and I did what has always worked for me. I tied the door open and put the food just inside the entrance. Once the cats got used to that, I gradually moved the food farther and farther back, until it was at the back of the trap. Finally, I set the trap with the door no longer tied open and that worked. Although as I said, the one guy was harder to catch, especially after he saw the other cat get trapped in it.

I use very fishy food to attract them. Salmon, sardines, etc. Also poured some clam juice on it. That said, the boy that was hard to trap turned out to like dry food!! Who knew. My local animal control person told me that sometimes they hang a feather dangling in the back of the cage, and that attracts the cat's natural predator instincts.

Patience is definitely key. Good luck, and thank you for caring for the ferals! I am sure others will be along with their hints, tips and advice.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:35 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,922,669 times
While I've only trapped one feral cat, I've read that some cats won't step on the cage wire, and that adding a couple of layers of newspaper can help. Of course, make sure it doesn't touch the trap mechanism.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:53 PM

172 posts, read 185,551 times
Thanks for the information. We have a Havahart cage and another type of cage that we rented from the vet. We were concerned that the cat's tail would be caught when the door shut closed. The Havahart cage did catch a possum that a wildlife person came and released back to the wild. Wrong catch. I am going to try with the Havahart cage again. This cat is smart and it knows that we are trying to get her. I have sardines to put in the cage.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow1990 View Post
Thanks for the information. We have a Havahart cage and another type of cage that we rented from the vet. We were concerned that the cat's tail would be caught when the door shut closed. The Havahart cage did catch a possum that a wildlife person came and released back to the wild. Wrong catch. I am going to try with the Havahart cage again. This cat is smart and it knows that we are trying to get her. I have sardines to put in the cage.
I always withhold food the night before I am going to trap them, so they are good and hungry and the trap starts to look more attractive, esp. if the food is good 'n stinky. (fishy, that is) I always have to tell my neighbor not to feed them that night, otherwise, they will just mooch off of him!

Old 04-07-2016, 02:06 PM

I remember doing the end-zone dance when I caught one wily calico girl I tried to catch for 2 summers! Man, she was wild. Vet techs said she was the wildest feral they had ever handled. But she stopped having kittens!

Old 04-09-2016, 08:27 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,835,280 times
I put a small dish of wet food at the end of the trap and then I put a small trail of treats leading from the outside right up to the wet food. That way, they start eating a treat outside, move more inside to eat the next one, and progressively get further into the trap before they realize it. When they do get to the wet food the door slams shut.

If you just put food at the end of the trap they may be reluctant to go in, but the trail of treats makes them forget that they are going inside. No cat can resist treats, even feral cats.

Don

Old 04-15-2016, 04:44 PM

579 posts, read 521,963 times
To do it successfully you need to commit to a few days. Leave the trap out with normal food in the open end. Put a blanket or towel to disguise the mechanism but you aren't going to set the mechanism for a few days. Then start putting in food that is mushy, something they have to lick to eat. Something they can't grab and run away with to enjoy outside the trap. Get them accustomed to the trap and the food for a few days. Move it to back of the trap. Then when they are comfortable inside the trap wait a day or two to feed them and put the mushy food in the back of the trap and set the mechanism with the towel and walk away.

BAM! Trapped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats