Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 11:50 PM

7 posts, read 5,736 times

Advertisements

You're doing an awesome job
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 10:02 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
My Son has been working late at the shop the past week, and Mama Cat always loves that because she gets to hang out and sleep on her blanket. She absolutely relaxes and gets to sleep peacefully for a change.

Here she is, dead to the world:

Don

Old 04-28-2016, 11:04 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times
Don, have you tried keeping her in at night and putting her out during the day? That's what I've been doing over the past few months with the ferals on my property, and they seem to have adjusted to it fine. I just shut the door when they're eating either in my garage or in my basement, then let them out the next morning. Seems like cats are in the most danger at night - although those of you who live on busy streets may have the opposite experience.

Old 04-29-2016, 06:19 AM

The problem with keeping her in at night is that we only go to our shop occasionally. It is not a "working shop" just our hobby shop where my two Sons and I build our personal cars. We have regular day jobs, and only get over there at night or on our days off. We drive over there every night after work though, to put out food for her, and, on the nights we are there, she gets to hang out.

I think one of the reasons she has outlasted so many other cats we used to feed is because she hides somewhere during daylight, and only ventures out when it is dark. There is a lot of traffic in the industrial area where our shop is, and she seems very street wise and avoids cars very well.

She also used to have her boyfriend, Smokey, to protect her, but he had feline aids and, when the lady, who feeds cats up the street from us, took him in to be fixed, they had to put him down. Smokey was a wonderful cat and was right by Mama Kitties side every night. No other cat could come around her because he would run them off. He was a tough but gentle cat and we could actually pet him.

We have seen so many come and go over the years at our shop, it is really heartbreaking.

Don

Old 04-29-2016, 01:34 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times
Oh, I understand now, Don. I've always thought you were an auto mechanic with your own business shop, I didn't know it was a hobby shop. Yay for you and your son for taking time daily to go feed Mama and care for the other cats you've found over the years!

Old 04-30-2016, 04:09 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,552,551 times
Such a kind soul, kudos to you and your son. MamaKitty looks very healthy and happy.
I would like to know what make, model, year is peeking out from under the tarp?

Old 04-30-2016, 10:24 AM

Thanks, my two Sons and I love animals, and Mama has a special place in our hearts.

As for the car under the tarp, that one is my 27 Ford hot rod. Had it for about 25 years or so now. Fun to drive and every time you stop for gas it takes a while with people wanting to see it and ask questions.

Mama Kitty is our official guard cat.

Don

Old 04-30-2016, 12:55 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Thanks, my two Sons and I love animals, and Mama has a special place in our hearts.

As for the car under the tarp, that one is my 27 Ford hot rod. Had it for about 25 years or so now. Fun to drive and every time you stop for gas it takes a while with people wanting to see it and ask questions.

Mama Kitty is our official guard cat.

Don
That's a heck of a sweet Chick Magnet you have there. Brings back memories of my car-loving days. Thanks for sharing.

Old 04-30-2016, 01:29 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,640,431 times
Don, is there any way you or one of your sons can take Mama Kitty home? Since she is the last one, it must be lonely for her and it would also keep you from having to worry about her whereabouts. Keeping them safe is the best thing we can do for them.

We trapped a feral and her 2 kittens at the garden dept. of the local walmart 15 years ago, and she is still with us. She is approx. 17 or 18 now. She is still skittish, but has been a lap sitter for the past decade or so. She is not interested in going outside at all and has been very happy to stay indoors since we trapped her. We also still have one of her daughters, plus 2 other rescue cats and a dog. They all get along very well, so if you are concerned about personality conflicts, if you give it a chance they might surprise you.

Old 04-30-2016, 01:40 PM

No, we already are like the Crazy Cat Lady when it comes to cats we have at home. My one Son and I have 3 (all rescues) and my other Son has 2 (1 rescue and 1 adopted). We simply can't have any more at our homes. Number wise, it is impossible for us to take any more on, and it would not be good for the ones who are settled into a routine at our homes.

As I mentioned in earlier threads, Mama Kitty has lived in our shop office for about 6-8 months, after she had her kittens, and again for a couple of weeks this Winter, when the temps dropped into the 40's. But she really wasn't happy, we think. It was like Kitty prison, and although she was safe and had all the food and water she could use, she seemed to long to get outside again. When I finally opened the door, she ran outside and seemed to want to be there........it is the only life she has known for 4 or so years that we have been feeding her.

My one Son, in particular, is really attached to her, and she gravitates toward him the most, but we just realize that all we can do, under the circumstances, is to make sure her belly is full every night and that she has human companionship when we are over there in the evenings. She has also become quite addicted to treats !

On the bright side, she appears to be very healthy, and when we trapped her and had her spayed, the Dr said she was in very good condition with no problems whatsoever.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats