Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 08:30 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,700,479 times

Advertisements

For the last 30 years my work and travel prevented me from owning a pet. Now that I am retired and settled I am ready to get a cat. I went to the shelter the other day and fell in love with a black short hair year old female. She is getting spayed on Wednesday and I can pick her up late in the day. I owned cats when I was younger but so much has changed I thought I should check with the experts here for advice.

Her room is ready with a bed, litter box and a window to survey her domain. She will also have a screened in porch to explore. I plan on keeping her in her room the first few days, it that the right thing to do?

Her room is also my gym, so for her first few days (weeks) I will have a second litter box in the guest bathroom for her while I work out.

I want to set up her feeding station near the kitchen, but until she settles in, should I put it in her room for now and then move it as she begins to explores the house?

Advice and any helpful tips will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 08:34 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,305,141 times
You must be new, you got the ownership completely wrong.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:44 AM

838 posts, read 555,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
You must be new, you got the ownership completely wrong.
That's funny - but oh so true. From what you wrote, she already has you working hard.

When I brought my 3 year old Gracie home from the shelter, I opened up her carrier in a bedroom with the door open. I let her come out on her own and then I just gauged her response to her new surroundings. She didn't even blink an eye. She walked out, tail straight up, up right walking position, etc. She looked calm and comfortable. I let her decide if she wanted to walk through the open door or not. And she did. She explored, found her litter box in the utility room and water/food bowls in the kitchen. Within an hour she made herself comfortable by my side on the couch.

Thank you for adopting and I hope you two are very happy together!

Post pics when she is home!

Old 08-22-2016, 09:15 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Congratulations to your new owner!!!

This is my take on your post. You plan to limit her range in her new home to screened porch and work out room. A room with strange things, sounds and smells plus her box gets moved around. For days or weeks?
Why not let her live with you?
Please keep two eyes on doors and visitors.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:18 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,700,479 times
It's been suggested on many sites that you limit her space until she becomes acclimated to her surroundings. Is this not correct?

Old 08-22-2016, 09:21 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,770,618 times
Yep, completely wrong on the ownership. YOU become the owned, the servant to the cat. That cat will be running your household soon enough.

Feed wet/raw food only! No kibble. Don't declaw. Provide lots of hiding spots, scratching posts, a kitty tree, and warm laps.

Enjoy that bundle of love.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
It's been suggested on many sites that you limit her space until she becomes acclimated to her surroundings. Is this not correct?
Yep. And one important thing, never, ever, let her go through a door you don't want her going through. Kittens will dive for a new space by instinct. But if you block them thoroughly and repeatedly they'll give up trying to get in there. Ours know the garage door is not one they can use, so they don't even look when it opens anymore. Constancy and persistence are your tools.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:30 AM

3,298 posts, read 2,475,164 times
You really should have TWO cats.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:22 AM

5,853 posts, read 5,283,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post

I think this is mainly when you have more than one cat. When I get a new cat (even with other cats), I just let them go wherever. I show them the food & the box and let them explore. Usually, they will find a hideyhole for a while until they feel comfortable. But, like others have said, keep an eye on open doors. Even after having my cats for years, we still have a couple of escape artists. Their biggest thing is going down into the basement (where they are not supposed to go). Can't tell you how many times I have opened the basement door only to have a cat come through it.

And as someone else mentioned, you might want to think about getting another one. It is true that some cats do prefer to be only cats, but the majority of them like to have companions.

Also, as a few have already mentioned, dogs have owners, cats have staff. Have fun being owned by a cat. There is nothing like it.

Cat

Old 08-22-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
You really should have TWO cats.
Good grief, is nobody paying attention?

TWO cats should have you.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats