Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2016, 05:11 AM

457 posts, read 497,015 times

Advertisements

Warning - pretty long post.

I had started a previous thread about Momo and his pee dribbling. He went to the vet and was diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism. Fine, twice a day Methimazole transdermal administered no problem. However, added into the mix was a urinary infection that required once daily Veraflox. After 10 days of this and methimazole he developed diarrhea, several times a day. Not sure which was causing it; the obvious assumption is the antibiotics. He was eating and acting normally. He was put on metronidazole for seven days - it didn't faze it.

Then he had a day of no eating, or drinking, vomiting and very lethargic. I called the vet and she said I could bring him in or watch him overnight and decide then. I waited overnight and he improved significantly over the course of the next day and more so after that. The diarrhea continued, but eating and drinking was normal. Last week he continued with the diarrhea after continuous pumpkin addition to food, then on Wednesday I could tell he was feeling bad again - several bouts of vomiting, not wanting food, etc. Off to the vet on Thursday and they took an X-ray - there was visible gas showing behind stool. She was starting to think maybe obstruction or the intestines were sliding into themselves (intussusception). He got a shot of Cerenia and B12 and we were sent home with Cerenia tablets with instructions to call the following day with an update. So, Friday morning I do not feel good about the way he's looking or acting. He had no interest in food still and I was very concerned going into a holiday weekend with him in this condition. Off to the vet we go. She called later in the day (actually she was returning my call because I was so worried that I couldn't wait for her to call) saying that she would like to keep him overnight hooked up to fluids and to keep looking for what was going on. I was relieved with this because I knew he would be well hydrated.

Friday night I get a call at 7:45 from the vet. Obviously, I'm fearing the worst and freaking out a little. She had run a blood panel and various tests and he got a diagnosis of pancreatitis. I am so glad we finally know what was/is wrong and can move forward with treatment, and also sad that he is going through this. I had never really heard of pancreatitis before this and after some research am heartbroken that he was in so much pain. Fur mommy guilt has kicked in big time.

Has anybody dealt with this before?
How long can this recovery be?
Any suggestions?

He doesn't really like the food that was sent home (Purina Gastroenteric EN), so I do sprinkle some stuff on it to encourage him to eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 05:03 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,258,156 times
Oh, I am so sorry about Momo! Poor little guy has been getting hit with so much lately.

I haven't had to deal with this problem in any of my cats. I consulted one of the veterinary textbooks I have access to, but it didn't have much in the way of helpful information. Apparently, feline pancreatitis isn't well understood, in terms of causes or treatment. One thing the book mentioned was that cobalamin (B12) shots can be helpful. It didn't explain why, though. (I am familiar with human pancreatitis, and haven't come across B12 mentioned as a treatment in humans.) Something to ask your vet about, though.

This article for laypeople seems pretty good as an introduction: Pancreatitis in Cats | VCA Animal Hospitals

Hopefully, Momo's pancreatitis won't become chronic and he will recover and be healthy!! Keeping my fingers crossed for both of you.

Old 09-05-2016, 07:26 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,991,727 times
My Daisy cat had chronic pancreatitis.

I was given a powder - Pancreazyme - to sprinkle on her wet food 15 minutes before I fed her. She could eat whatever wet food she liked.

And so we continued for years - until she had a heart attack and passed away at going on 18 years old.

Old 09-06-2016, 05:09 AM

457 posts, read 497,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Oh, I am so sorry about Momo! Poor little guy has been getting hit with so much lately.

I haven't had to deal with this problem in any of my cats. I consulted one of the veterinary textbooks I have access to, but it didn't have much in the way of helpful information. Apparently, feline pancreatitis isn't well understood, in terms of causes or treatment. One thing the book mentioned was that cobalamin (B12) shots can be helpful. It didn't explain why, though. (I am familiar with human pancreatitis, and haven't come across B12 mentioned as a treatment in humans.) Something to ask your vet about, though.

This article for laypeople seems pretty good as an introduction: Pancreatitis in Cats | VCA Animal Hospitals

Hopefully, Momo's pancreatitis won't become chronic and he will recover and be healthy!! Keeping my fingers crossed for both of you.
He did get a shot of B12 last Thursday and we have a follow-up this Friday, so, he may get another shot then. He is doing MUCH better this morning. Thank you for the well wishes!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
My Daisy cat had chronic pancreatitis.

I was given a powder - Pancreazyme - to sprinkle on her wet food 15 minutes before I fed her. She could eat whatever wet food she liked.

And so we continued for years - until she had a heart attack and passed away at going on 18 years old.
That is interesting, I will ask the vet about the enzyme. Thank you.

Old 09-06-2016, 06:22 AM

3,974 posts, read 4,258,156 times
So glad Momo is doing better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats