Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 08:15 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,992,621 times

Advertisements

There was a recent discussion/debate here in the Cats Forum about the benefits of cats having to work for their food. I think the general consensus was perhaps "yes" to a degree, but not for all of their daily nutritional needs.

An article I just read and am sharing is about different ways to promote the instinct of hunting and foraging, and I'm looking forward to giving some of these things a try, to let my kitties "work" for treats on occasion.

Cats Are Happier and Healthier When You Make Them Work for Their Food
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 08:32 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,332,006 times
I've trained our cat to use the cat condo for scratching vice the couch. (and he's shredded a couch in the past, long story) So when he's hungry or wants to go out he does an earnest scratch at the post and pauses while I run over and love on him and make a fuss. Then he jumps up for food or over to the door to go out.

Sometimes when he wants something (food or out) I prompt him to scratch and reward him with whatever he wants. If he's feeling naughty he will pose on the couch as if to scratch and, if he's in the mood might dig a claw in. He gets fussed at, sometimes swatted, then he'll go scratch on his post. Bit of a brat, that one.

Old 09-04-2016, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I've trained our cat to use the cat condo for scratching vice the couch. (and he's shredded a couch in the past, long story) So when he's hungry or wants to go out he does an earnest scratch at the post and pauses while I run over and love on him and make a fuss. Then he jumps up for food or over to the door to go out.

Sometimes when he wants something (food or out) I prompt him to scratch and reward him with whatever he wants. If he's feeling naughty he will pose on the couch as if to scratch and, if he's in the mood might dig a claw in. He gets fussed at, sometimes swatted, then he'll go scratch on his post. Bit of a brat, that one.
Sorry but I'm laughing ... know the type of cat :-) Mine would pose in front of a houseplant and then look at me. If I missed the cue, he'd take a bite of the plant and then look at me. I also know about shredded sofas.

Good for you for being so observant and for modifying behavior to come up with a better compromise!!

Old 09-04-2016, 01:03 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,916,818 times
I trained a previous cat to shake hands.

Old 09-04-2016, 01:07 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
If we made the girls work for their food we would get *the look* followed by a tail swish flip off and the *how dare you*
require anything of us vocal opinion.
Our girls have plenty of toys, they play with each other and we play the under the covers game with them, otherwise
they are happily snoring wherever they choose to lay their paws.

Old 09-04-2016, 01:18 PM

41,973 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Mine have to work for their food -- they have to run upstairs, jump on the bed, meow in my face, pat my arm with their paws. Usually they have to do this multiple times, beginning at 4 a.m.

Old 09-04-2016, 01:21 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,381,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
If we made the girls work for their food we would get *the look* followed by a tail swish flip off and the *how dare you*
require anything of us vocal opinion.
Our girls have plenty of toys, they play with each other and we play the under the covers game with them, otherwise
they are happily snoring wherever they choose to lay their paws.
The 'work for food' scenario wouldn't get much traction at my house either. My 3 girls would not take kindly to the uppity wait-staff instituting such a bothersome routine. I can definitely foresee problems with that.

It's a nice idea, but I think perhaps it's a bit late in life for them. They have become accustomed to daily 5-star service, so I'm going to stick with my mantra of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Old 09-05-2016, 08:14 AM

Although I was the one to create this thread, I'm in the same boat as most of you! Mine already "work", too ... they come into the kitchen and tell me they want a treat ... they choose not to verbalize and I'm supposed to be intuned to body language at all times. If I miss it, up onto the counter they leap and sit right next to the treat container. If I still miss that, they're quite adept at pawing at the container until it's either so out of place or on the floor.

Old 09-05-2016, 12:07 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,381,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
Although I was the one to create this thread, I'm in the same boat as most of you! Mine already "work", too ... they come into the kitchen and tell me they want a treat ... they choose not to verbalize and I'm supposed to be intuned to body language at all times. If I miss it, up onto the counter they leap and sit right next to the treat container. If I still miss that, they're quite adept at pawing at the container until it's either so out of place or on the floor.
I love that part, and it sounds so familiar. Mine do that too, but my window of time to respond is very short (usually less than a minute), then the indignant cries of neglect will begin and steadily increase until I get my priorities straight. And Heaven help me if I happen to be detained in the bathroom at the time.

Old 09-05-2016, 12:55 PM

10,101 posts, read 6,441,828 times
I'm lucky in that my 3 females never beg for treats, but my boy - jeez louise! He'll sit and cry like a banshee's baby until you come into the kitchen, then trail around your legs with his tail up, "trilling" and flirting until he gets what he wants. And boy, does he do a good job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats