Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 09:00 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,316,354 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry for your loss. RIP Aiko. Snickers has CKD, and is still going strong, but he gets the best that I can give him for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 12:14 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,064,388 times
Oh Cheesenugget, so very sorry to hear you lost your beloved boy Aiko. He sounds like an amazing and sweet kitty, and what a wonderful companion for all those milestones in your life!

I thought the rest of your post was very beautifully written as well, especially about dealing with older kitties who may not do everything "right." My sister Rachelle is dealing with her 19-year-old kitty Junior, who keeps missing the litter box when she pees -- so Rachelle bought a bunch of pee pads (and I guess they are expensive!). The kitty's quality of life is otherwise very good (she eats, drinks, lies in sunny spots, cuddles, purrs), so there is no reason to give up on her because she is not peeing "correctly" any more. My sister will know when it is time to say goodbye and is just cherishing every extra day she has with her.

I lost my beloved kitty Einstein 2 weeks ago yesterday and am still totally heartbroken and angry at the world. Grieving is unbelievably painful, but I have to keep reminding myself that Eini was fading rapidly. But he was only 8 so it was completely unexpected ...

RIP Aiko. You were dearly loved and will be dearly missed.

Old 10-02-2016, 12:41 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,611,349 times
Wow, another huge loss for us all.

Please accept my condolences with your baby Aiko as well, & I hope so very much that we all get to Rainbow Bridge to be with our beloved gone-too-soon pets. These are truly THE hardest threads to see on here. I can't but imagine, how those that need to post these must feel. It is really a gut-wrenching time. Please take care of you & the surviving kitties, & know we ALL here will be real sad for awhile too.

Old 10-03-2016, 11:19 AM

24,508 posts, read 10,836,221 times
Cheesenugget - my heart goes out to you. Take care of yourself, your little pride and once you are ready maybe open your home to a fur ball in need of love.

Seven years later I still miss TwoStep and it is hard not to compare Cha-Cha and ShadowCat with her. SO insists that she and Foxy (my parents' Turkish Van who decided to move in with perpetual travelers against their wishes.) are sitting next to my father having a good time watching us. Time for Kleenex here.

Old 10-04-2016, 10:58 AM

3,974 posts, read 4,255,402 times
I am so very, very sorry about Aiko. It sounds like you did exactly the right thing: got him good medical care, tried to make sure he got enough nutrition and then, when it was time, let him go despite your own sadness.

Thank you for this: "That's another thing: if your cat is old, stop fussing over the small stuff." I have several old-timers, and several more have passed away in the last few years. I let them do what they want and eat what they want. As long as they are eating, able to get around without too much pain, and seem to be enjoying life, they can get away with just about anything. One of our old girls began missing the litter box. Poor thing tried, but she would sometimes pee right outside the box. I solved the problem by getting some rubberized fabric and placing it outside the box, fabric side up to absorb the pee. It was washable, and I kept an extra one around for when the other one was in the wash.

Goodbye, Dear Aiko. Run free, play, and lay in the sun now.

Old 10-04-2016, 12:02 PM

2,977 posts, read 3,922,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Thank you for this: "That's another thing: if your cat is old, stop fussing over the small stuff." I have several old-timers, and several more have passed away in the last few years. I let them do what they want and eat what they want. As long as they are eating, able to get around without too much pain, and seem to be enjoying life, they can get away with just about anything. One of our old girls began missing the litter box. Poor thing tried, but she would sometimes pee right outside the box. I solved the problem by getting some rubberized fabric and placing it outside the box, fabric side up to absorb the pee. It was washable, and I kept an extra one around for when the other one was in the wash..
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I am interested in learning where you purchased rubberized fabric. One of our cats pees just outside the box (guessing it's butt overhang, but I've never seen it happen). I use "floor towels," which work ok, but they take forever to dry.

Old 10-04-2016, 02:20 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,255,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I am interested in learning where you purchased rubberized fabric. One of our cats pees just outside the box (guessing it's butt overhang, but I've never seen it happen). I use "floor towels," which work ok, but they take forever to dry.
I'll start another thread.

Old 10-04-2016, 02:54 PM

5,332 posts, read 8,541,852 times
I'm very sorry for your loss. Know that you gave Aiko a wonderful, happy, long, comfortable life... and a peaceful death.

I lost my cat of 20 years four months ago, and while I miss him terribly, I do feel at peace knowing he didn't have to suffer any longer.

"I thank my God upon every remembrance of you." (Philippians 1:3)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats