Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 11:11 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times

Advertisements

My cat sleeps on top of me. When I turn over, he turns over, and the only time he gets up is when i do, or he wants to eat or drink something. Then he gets right back on top of me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 06:33 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,770,618 times
I cannot imagine ever sleeping without a cat or 2 on the bed! There is nothing sweeter. I get awakened every morning by my cats...paws on the face, head butts, purring.

My cats get along wonderfully with my 100 pound dog too. (Dog not allowed on the bed though...).

Oh, and OP, when you cat gazes at you and does a long, sloooow blink, she is telling you she adores you. Do slow blinks back at her and watch what happens!

Old 06-20-2017, 06:40 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,611,567 times
I'm getting older and roll around a lot.

I've got a padded bench at the foot of my bed, and I put my kitty's purr pad on it. Most of the time she'll sleep there when she's in my bedroom. and when she is up near my head, I try putting her on her purr pad. A lot of time she stays there.

I've slept with cats most of my life, too. They adjust to blanket pulling and such.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:55 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
Three of my cats sleep with me. My boy Scooter likes to "spoon" with me under the covers, which is fine except he is long-haired and sometimes I get cat hair on my face. My Russian Blue either sleeps curled up above my knees, if Scooter isn't present. or by my feet. Princess the Heifer sleeps against my back, which is very comforting. I used to have two different black cats that slept on my head - one for ten years. I actually had difficulty sleeping for a while after she died - it was so comforting to hear her purr until she fell asleep. None of my cats has ever scratched or bitten me, even when I inadvertently kick them when stretching out my legs because me knees hurt. They either jump off the bed or readjust their position and go back to sleep.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:24 AM

5,853 posts, read 5,283,360 times
Josette sleeps at our feet-sometimes at my feet and sometimes at Hubby's (she is usually there during the day, too). But if I wake up in the middle of the night (which I do A LOT), she will come up for some attention. Electra will sleep in the upper corner of the bed and from time to time will steal my pillow. Elvira is all over the place. When she does sleep with us, she will sleep at the foot (again sometimes at my feet & sometimes at Hubby's). Every now and again, she will come up to me. She used to curl up on my neck but lately, she just steals my pillow (if Electra hasn't beaten her to it). The thing is, I sleep in the nude and Elvira will kneed my back & arms and if I haven't trimmed her nails in a while... The thing is, I usually just take the pain because I don't want her to think that she is doing anything wrong. But, if I can't take it any more, I will move. A lot of times, she will steal Hubby's spot when he gets out of bed (he gets up before I do).

Cat

Old 06-20-2017, 11:11 AM

1,260 posts, read 2,044,625 times
Sleeping with cats is the best (when you have enough room in bed, of course!) Our orange tabby Pixie sleeps with us almost every night between October and April, when it gets down to 65 in the house. Not so much in summer, when it's warmer. She likes to sleep smack in the middle of our bed, between the two of us, near our stomachs. She used to not like being covered by the blanket, but now she just goes right in. She digs her way under it, or meows for us to lift it up .
She likes coming for her morning nap to our bed, even if she slept elsewhere during the night. My husband tells me I'm in danger if I don't get up before she comes back to bed after having breakfast: I sleep like a rock when she is next to me. It's impossible to wake up and start working!

Old 06-20-2017, 02:15 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,373,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
Oh they absolutely do. I've enjoyed reading your saga , btw. We did it the opposite order. We had the cats first and when we started thinking about a dog we kept in mind the cats. Rufus was a stray we adopted frm the Humane Society but we had a sense he would be OK. Here is a recent pic I posted in the Dogs forum. For context we got Rufus (the dog) in September 2016,
Yep. Pretty obvious how much those two hate each other.

Totally adorable pic, btw.

Old 06-22-2017, 01:15 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,953,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
I get awakened every morning by my cats...paws on the face, head butts, purring.
It wouldn't be a proper good morning for me without my Shelly walking on my headboard, yelling in my ear and trying to rearrange my face with her head! <3 <3 <3

Old 06-22-2017, 01:47 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,607,055 times
Don't be afraid to shove the cat out of the bed (gently) if they're bugging you. They don't get their way all the time - you're the Alpha!

I've slept with cats all my life, and when I was a child we had a rat terrier who also slept on my bed.

I've only had 2 dogs as an adult. I've always had the dogs sleep on a dog bed at the foot of my bed. The cats can get onto my bed to sleep with me if they want, but I'm a restless sleeper so they usually stay only part of the night.

As an adult, when I've had a human bed partner, sometimes the animals just get shut out of the room. They may scratch at the door, but so what? Ignore it. They'll get used to it and find another comfy place to sleep.

As others have said, it can be very comforting to have a cat in the bed. It is disconcerting when you have a cat that likes to sleep under the covers. You always think they'll smother - but they don't. It's nice in the winter, but not so much in the summer.

Muttley (my oldest cat) has learned to wake me up by blipping a little tongue lick on my hand. I HATE being licked, so that wakes me up right away! I think sometimes the dog sends Muttley up to wake me up, because when I get up both of them are sitting by the bed staring at me. In fact, sometimes I'm awoken by the power of their stares alone!

Aslan is learning your behaviors too right now. If he discovers a position in which you won't shove him out of the bed, he'll stick with that position. But if you don't want him in bed with you, just shut the door. (Doesn't your daughter want him to sleep with her?)

Stop being so worried about being scratched! If Aslan didn't love you he wouldn't want to sleep with you.

Old 06-22-2017, 03:55 PM

730 posts, read 769,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Don't be afraid to shove the cat out of the bed (gently) if they're bugging you. They don't get their way all the time - you're the Alpha!

I've slept with cats all my life, and when I was a child we had a rat terrier who also slept on my bed.

I've only had 2 dogs as an adult. I've always had the dogs sleep on a dog bed at the foot of my bed. The cats can get onto my bed to sleep with me if they want, but I'm a restless sleeper so they usually stay only part of the night.

As an adult, when I've had a human bed partner, sometimes the animals just get shut out of the room. They may scratch at the door, but so what? Ignore it. They'll get used to it and find another comfy place to sleep.

As others have said, it can be very comforting to have a cat in the bed. It is disconcerting when you have a cat that likes to sleep under the covers. You always think they'll smother - but they don't. It's nice in the winter, but not so much in the summer.

Muttley (my oldest cat) has learned to wake me up by blipping a little tongue lick on my hand. I HATE being licked, so that wakes me up right away! I think sometimes the dog sends Muttley up to wake me up, because when I get up both of them are sitting by the bed staring at me. In fact, sometimes I'm awoken by the power of their stares alone!

Aslan is learning your behaviors too right now. If he discovers a position in which you won't shove him out of the bed, he'll stick with that position. But if you don't want him in bed with you, just shut the door. (Doesn't your daughter want him to sleep with her?)

Stop being so worried about being scratched! If Aslan didn't love you he wouldn't want to sleep with you.

Daughter has a bearded dragon and a crested gecko in her room in aquariums . Cresties are nocturnal so the cat will want to hunt it at night. The lids are made of thin metal mesh so my daughter will need to figure that out first. Also her room is much smaller than the master.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats