Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2017, 03:12 PM

430 posts, read 335,564 times

Advertisements

So my cats been with me for about two months now and I know realize they can be more affectionate than people think.

Basically, Bud (my dude) does this nightly thing with me and I noticed he likes mint cause he goes right for my mouth. He'll rub his gums along my cheek, chin, and glasses frame. Or just open mouth rub against me, can't tell, while purring and head butting me. If I let him, he'll lick those same spots and, sometimes, straight up nip. Hurts a little cause those areas are more sensitive than my hands. So I now just tilt my head out when he opens his mouth and leans forward. He now doesn't do it much but still sometimes lightly nips my fingers (after licking them).

He'll also just lay on my lap, usually when I'm on my laptop or playing PS4, and lick my arm or elbows. He'll move and headbutt those areas, or whatever he can get, and just seems to be enjoying himself. I'll pet him and he tilts his head or gum rub my hand a few times, lick my fingers, watch him now cause he might nip, usually does, then licks the same spot (can't tell if cats tasting me or what at this point).

Right now my work clothes are being used as a bed and he's sleeping on them, after he had his fill of affection cause it took me 20min to try starting this with him climbing all over me. Very rarely does he lick my hair but he's done it and usually does after I've been mostly out all day and only back to feed him, come home for good, change, and flop on my bed for sleep. Those nights I usually deal with him kneading my back and licking my ears, neck, and hair. Feels surprisingly nice so I usually fall asleep pretty quick.

I also work at an animal hospital and notice the office kitties do the same thing. There's two that seem to like me a lot and usually sit on my lap and, recently, gum rub my hands and arms. The kitten usually just reaches up and goes for my chin (and usually then decides my glasses are fun to try and claw at).

So just a little thing cause I know I usually post asking for advice on things about him and it seems like he just annoys me and that's it, but I love him even though I could really do without the 5am feed me meowing on my off days (which is now the reason I momentarily wake up at 5am wherever I'm at). But I'm okay with the face full of fur due to his headbutting, smell of cat food wherever he gum rubs me, and licking. That and him deciding he needs to be my personal security guard whenever I use the bathroom lol. Literally, almost every time he joins me and sometimes just sits in my underwear if I'm taking too long .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 12:24 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,519,654 times
I also never realized how loving cats were until I had one that was my very own and not a family cat. That "gum rubbing" is marking you as theirs. They have a cheek gland and want to get you smelled up nice. And they do love to smell your breath, no matter what you've had in there. That's not mutual around here.

I've seen pics online of cats in underpants, but thankfully haven't experienced it myself.

But I'm greeted at the window/door when I get home no matter if I've been out for half an hour or all day. Gypsy wants to be acknowledged and always wants to smell my fingers to see whatever it is she can see from what she smells. The supermarket, the garden, I'm not sure, but smell is important to cats.

Thanks for sharing. It was nice to read and I wish I could get a back rub to fall asleep by!

Old 08-09-2017, 02:23 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,373,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Chris View Post
So my cats been with me for about two months now and I know realize they can be more affectionate than people think.

Basically, Bud (my dude) does this nightly thing with me and I noticed he likes mint cause he goes right for my mouth. He'll rub his gums along my cheek, chin, and glasses frame. Or just open mouth rub against me, can't tell, while purring and head butting me. If I let him, he'll lick those same spots and, sometimes, straight up nip. Hurts a little cause those areas are more sensitive than my hands. So I now just tilt my head out when he opens his mouth and leans forward. He now doesn't do it much but still sometimes lightly nips my fingers (after licking them).

He'll also just lay on my lap, usually when I'm on my laptop or playing PS4, and lick my arm or elbows. He'll move and headbutt those areas, or whatever he can get, and just seems to be enjoying himself. I'll pet him and he tilts his head or gum rub my hand a few times, lick my fingers, watch him now cause he might nip, usually does, then licks the same spot (can't tell if cats tasting me or what at this point).

Right now my work clothes are being used as a bed and he's sleeping on them, after he had his fill of affection cause it took me 20min to try starting this with him climbing all over me. Very rarely does he lick my hair but he's done it and usually does after I've been mostly out all day and only back to feed him, come home for good, change, and flop on my bed for sleep. Those nights I usually deal with him kneading my back and licking my ears, neck, and hair. Feels surprisingly nice so I usually fall asleep pretty quick.

I also work at an animal hospital and notice the office kitties do the same thing. There's two that seem to like me a lot and usually sit on my lap and, recently, gum rub my hands and arms. The kitten usually just reaches up and goes for my chin (and usually then decides my glasses are fun to try and claw at).

So just a little thing cause I know I usually post asking for advice on things about him and it seems like he just annoys me and that's it, but I love him even though I could really do without the 5am feed me meowing on my off days (which is now the reason I momentarily wake up at 5am wherever I'm at). But I'm okay with the face full of fur due to his headbutting, smell of cat food wherever he gum rubs me, and licking. That and him deciding he needs to be my personal security guard whenever I use the bathroom lol. Literally, almost every time he joins me and sometimes just sits in my underwear if I'm taking too long .
Join the club. I gave up my bathroom privacy 14 years ago. You'll get used to it..... eventually.

Old 08-11-2017, 05:17 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Haha... I used to have a cat who "sat in my underwear," and then my feet would fall asleep b/c I didn't want to move her. And yeah, with 3 cats and a dog, I'm used to toileting in front of an audience.

My kitten Oswald doesn't do the gum rub, but does DROOL like crazy when he's "making biscuits" on me - to the point where I'll have large wet spots on my shirt afterwards. It's a little annoying, but also too cute to be mad.

Old 08-12-2017, 12:14 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,373,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Haha... I used to have a cat who "sat in my underwear," and then my feet would fall asleep b/c I didn't want to move her. And yeah, with 3 cats and a dog, I'm used to toileting in front of an audience.

My kitten Oswald doesn't do the gum rub, but does DROOL like crazy when he's "making biscuits" on me - to the point where I'll have large wet spots on my shirt afterwards. It's a little annoying, but also too cute to be mad.
Back '05' I adopted 2 5-week old kittens (boy & girl) that had to be weaned early (long story). They both did the kneading/nursing thing on me, drool and all. The boy cat finally stopped doing it at about 2 years old, and the girl kitty at around 4. Early on I got in the habit of keeping a small terrycloth towel close by my chair for whenever those two wanted comfort from 'mama'.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:37 PM

1,235 posts, read 732,620 times
My cat is not the affectionate type. My fur baby was once my mom's cat. I didn't have a cat nor was I ever thinking of getting one before my mom died. No one else could take her so I bought her home at about 6 months old. She's still not that affectionate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats