Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 01:15 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,894,701 times

Advertisements

I am planning on moving my two cats out to my garage. I have rigged up an automatic watering system and I could build an automatic feeder but I don't want them to eat too much. I spend time in the detached garage daily unless it is too icy. I have very seldom had more than two days where I didn't make it out there. Garage has some heat but not 24/7 but that should not be an issue. I have never had water freeze in it. I feed them once daily currently and at the same time. If I am fifteen minutes late (5:00 AM) with my feeding George will jump up on my bed and wake me up. I will be sleeping in when I move them to the garage. Once a farm boy. . . LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 01:36 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,064,886 times
I feel real sorry for your cats. The plan you detail is very much like a "bread &water" starvation diet with your garage as a prison. Also cats NEED to be loved and petted to get the attention they deserve.

Find a new loving home for them if you care for them at all.

Old 10-13-2017, 01:59 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,645,580 times
Some will, some won't. And oddly, I find that the same humans seem to end up with cat after cat that is the same. None of mine ever have or do (knock on wood) eat too much with their bowls full at all times. Other people seem to have chronic obesity cats.

Just free-feed them unless you see one gaining is my approach.

PS why do you want them in the prison of a garage? That isn't like being a farm cat at all.

Old 10-13-2017, 02:37 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,894,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
I feel real sorry for your cats. The plan you detail is very much like a "bread &water" starvation diet with your garage as a prison. Also cats NEED to be loved and petted to get the attention they deserve.

Find a new loving home for them if you care for them at all.
My cats get plenty of love. I spend more time in my garage than I do in my house. Icy weather is the only reason I am not with them every day. Hence the automatic feeder and waterer. The 3 year old boy that spends a lot of time at my house has severe allergies to cat hair. I love my cats but he is number 1.

Old 10-13-2017, 03:32 AM

15,517 posts, read 9,219,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
My cats get plenty of love. I spend more time in my garage than I do in my house. Icy weather is the only reason I am not with them every day. Hence the automatic feeder and waterer. The 3 year old boy that spends a lot of time at my house has severe allergies to cat hair. I love my cats but he is number 1.
And you think that is appropriate to leave your cats alone in a cold garage for days?

Please do as others have suggested and put the cats up for adoption. You clearly can not provide them with the care they need. You don't just put pets out in the garage, like items you don't need anymore.

Old 10-13-2017, 03:57 AM

11,313 posts, read 19,690,480 times
Take your cats to a shelter. What kind of person abandons their cats in a cold garage? You don't think the water will freeze? What about the cats? Cats are social animals that need human contact, and natural light and warmth. You clearly don't want the cats any more. Give them a chance to actually have a nice life. Don't ever get another animal.

Old 10-13-2017, 04:23 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,645,580 times
Quote:
Please at least increase the heat for them when needed.

How many cats?

Is the garage out-fitted to be cat-friendly?

Old 10-13-2017, 05:32 AM

11,313 posts, read 19,690,480 times
To answer your question, it can go either way. They may not eat at all, from the stress of losing their home.

However, once adjusted to such a miserable existence, yes the cats may eat too much out of boredom and stress.

The male especially will be at very high risk for urinary tract disease and blockage with this sort of existence. No exercise, no mental stimulation, no human affection, constant stress and boredom, too cold in winter, too hot in summer.

In addition to urinary tract diseases, you're facing feline obesity which leads to many other health conditions.

Since you clearly don't want the cats any more, and are not willing to give them the proper care they need, do the right thing and surrender them, so they can have a chance at a good life. You will be expected to provide a donation toward their care at surrender.

Quote:
Doing what? Somehow I doubt this statement is true. You eat, sleep, cook, and do all your other home time activities out there? Sure. If it were true, who is spending time with this child?

Old 10-13-2017, 06:25 AM

9,884 posts, read 11,019,615 times
Do you plan to steam clean and repaint your entire house, then replace all fabrics (upholstery, curtains, linens, etc.) to give that three year old boy an allergy free home? Do you plan to strip, shower, and wash your clothes every time you go from the garage to the house?
Just moving the cats will not alleviate the allergy problems. I been there, did that.
I agree with those who said you should get rid of the cats.
Or, convert the garage to a kid's playroom, and let the kid spend all his time out there when he visits.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:04 AM

24,808 posts, read 11,209,296 times
Quote:
Rehome these poor cats!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats