Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2017, 07:39 PM

11 posts, read 14,127 times

Advertisements

I have a beautiful 15 year old Tortoiseshell female cat who I have had since she was 4 weeks old. Recently, she was diagnosed with lung/digit syndrome. This is a rare type of cancer and in googling I saw some posts that had the cat owner perplexed by a tumor on toes. I wanted to share this information with other cat lovers so they know there is a name for this. Basically this is a cancer which metastasizes to the toes.

Right now my cats toe is gone on her hind right foot. She has lost weight and only weighs 5 pounds. Her foot smells very bad. I called the Vet today and she is placing her on antibiotics yet again. An Xray was done of her lungs which showed a tumor.

I have a long story in which I brought my cat to a recommended Vet and she advised her to have dental surgery which I agreed to because her teeth were in need of cleaning and pulling. When I picked her up, my new Vet told me she had found a mass on her leg. I was very upset the Vet did not do a thorough evaluation of my cat the first time and had me do dental on a cat with cancer. Since that time, she has been comping me services instead of refunding my money. When I found her toe missing a few weeks ago, I saw another Vet at her office who did the Xrays and confirmed the cancer.

All of this brings me to this point- I am not sure my cat is getting all the care she should and I don't know if there is anything else do do at this point except for the prednisolone she is on and now another round of antibiotics? I know she has cancer spread through her body and her time with me is short but is there anything I am missing that I should do for her? She is eating a bit here and there and does purr when stroked. She has declined but doesn't seem to be in pain. I have already spent 1200$ with the dental and inept exam so I don't want to go to another clinic. For that matter, I am feeling most Vets are really not that good and my confidence in them is low. I would rather talk with folks here and see what they think and recommend and what experience they can give me.. thank you
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 07:51 PM

20,861 posts, read 9,524,822 times
Wow, that is a sad story! Don't really know what to say, except, hang in there.

One thing I learned a while ago is that the dust from clay cat litter contains a known carcinogen, makes me wonder, especially since I use clay litter!
https://pets.thenest.com/connection-...tter-7724.html

Old 11-28-2017, 07:57 PM

That is interesting! Thank you for sharing it. She stopped using the litter box and was going outside all during the Summer and Fall and today went pee all over my bed. I took the top off the litter box and after reading the article will not use the clumping litter ever again. This will be my last cat though. After fostering off and on for the last decade and losing cats from old age, I am just done. I have two dogs and that will be it.

This kitty is very sweet natured and I am really sad but she has had a full life of love. Nothing much I can do about the cancer she has. Treasuring each day..

Old 11-28-2017, 08:04 PM

In fact it just inspired me to switch one of my cat's two litter boxes with some Swheat Scoop I had. The other I think I'll get rid of later. Hope it's not too late!

Old 11-28-2017, 08:08 PM

However, lung cancer in cats is still relatively rare. If the dust from clay cat litter does indeed contain a carcinogen, you would expect feline lung cancer to be more common given the near ubiquity of clay cat litter.
http://www.winnfelinefoundation.org/...4.pdf?sfvrsn=4

Or, maybe a lot of cases just go undiagnosed?

Old 11-28-2017, 08:18 PM

It is rare and she thought it was from the injection site from last Fall. There was a mass found on her hind leg first and then with her toe coming off, another vet wanted to see if she had any issues with her lungs. I have read injection sites can become cancerous. I think the cancer has spread to her lungs and then down to her toe.

I would imagine that dust is also dangerous for humans who are changing litter every day.. bad stuff!! Besides it clumps so if digested very damaging.

Old 11-29-2017, 04:57 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,947,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Wow, that is a sad story! Don't really know what to say, except, hang in there.

One thing I learned a while ago is that the dust from clay cat litter contains a known carcinogen, makes me wonder, especially since I use clay litter!
https://pets.thenest.com/connection-...tter-7724.html
Cat Attract, which is the litter I use, uses sodium bentonite, not silica, as the clumping agent.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:08 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,922,116 times
I wanted to comment that it's hard to know if your cat is in pain--they are stoic creatures and hide pain well. Keep this in mind and don't be afraid to ask your vet for pain medication if you think she is uncomfortable.

We lost a cat to lung cancer three years ago, and it's difficult to watch them decline. And it can happen quickly! As sad as sounds, you may want to ask questions for when "that time" comes now. Ask your regular vet or call a vet who will come to your home, depending on your preferences.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:07 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,466,893 times
We had chemo therapy for my good pal Pedro, Seal Point age 15. They give it in short blasts with big gaps so as not to depress appetite to the point the cat will not thrive. (Humans can be told to eat, ergo chemo lasts longer, more repetitive).

Worked well and gave me a chance to pamper Pedro with delicacies like poached salmon and real liver pate.

Old 11-29-2017, 06:12 PM

Thank you for responses all!! I am hanging in there, taking it day by day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats