Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 03:13 PM

747 posts, read 579,391 times

Advertisements

My 5 year old male cat will only eat pate can food and only a few flavors.
He is the pickiest cat I ever had. Warming it does not help.
He likes 2% milk mixed in. They sell flora leaves
to sprinkle in the food. I have used a food stimulator med
from the vet (a pill)-- One of my cats ate McDonalds burgers (no bun)

I'm out of ideas. My cat is only 7 pounds! Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 08:16 PM

20,859 posts, read 9,521,992 times
Feeding the cat only canned pate' is actually OK. If he only likes a few flavors, just give him those. Could be worse.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:40 PM

274 posts, read 294,327 times
I've had cats in the past that were dainty eaters or simply didn't eat a lot at a time. If we had bigger cans, I would split 1 can between both of the cats. That would often solve the waste issue. If it was a taller cat food can, I would give them a couple scoops in each of their bowls and then get a Ziploc bag or plastic bag wrapped around it, put the can with the leftover food still in it and stick it in the fridge and use it later, but I wouldn't ever like to leave it in the refrigerator more than 24-48 hours. If we traveled and had the cats with us or had a pet sitter come by, we usually would buy the smallest cans of cat food and say 1 per cat, twice a day. Our cats never seemed to mind the chilled cat food, but I don't see why you couldn't warm it up by taking it out of the can, putting it in a closed Ziploc and dunking it in a bowl of warm water for a moment or two.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:49 PM

2,331 posts, read 1,995,964 times
Back when I was single, and had cats, but didn't have a human family? If the cat didn't finish it, no problem, I put it in the fridge. When my cats got hungry enough, they ate. No waste.

On the other hand, my wife has always fed our cats when they seem hungry. LOTS of waste. She can't bear for them to act hungry.

I suppose one might learn a lesson from all that.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:45 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,084,826 times
I scooped some in a little glass dish and put it in a different room (bottom of the basement, at the top of the stairs is where he usually gets fed) and he seems to be eating more of it.

Maybe try switching rooms where we dish it out to our cats? Maybe that will work for some of you...?

Old 03-02-2018, 10:29 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,084,826 times
Something I'm trying today is mixing some of the "old" can with some dried food. That seems to be forcing him to get at least some of the older canned food in his mouth while he's trying to eat the new/fresh dried food I mixed in with it.

Just a tip that might help a little...?

Old 03-02-2018, 02:37 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
I buy half portions of cat food, he gets one in the morning and one in the evening, some he eats some he doesnt,he doesnt seem to like the pate variety.
https://goo.gl/images/CY976U

Old 03-02-2018, 03:08 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,534,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
Back when I was single, and had cats, but didn't have a human family? If the cat didn't finish it, no problem, I put it in the fridge. When my cats got hungry enough, they ate. No waste.

On the other hand, my wife has always fed our cats when they seem hungry. LOTS of waste. She can't bear for them to act hungry.

I suppose one might learn a lesson from all that.

The only lesson I can gather from the above is that if she puts your food in the freezer until you get hungry enough to eat it. Too bad kitties can't talk, and FYI, not many cats eat it all in one 'sitting' unless they are afraid there will be no more of it.

Old 03-02-2018, 03:08 PM

10,089 posts, read 6,422,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Something I'm trying today is mixing some of the "old" can with some dried food. That seems to be forcing him to get at least some of the older canned food in his mouth while he's trying to eat the new/fresh dried food I mixed in with it.

Just a tip that might help a little...?
I mix "new" with "old" canned food for my cat that eats prescription canned food exclusively. That stuff costs $2 per can, so I hate it when she turns up her nose at leftovers. She'll eat it straight out of the fridge but she wants a new can every day, and it's not always possible. So I'll make a mound of the leftover food and put a chunk of the new food on top to entice her, the little stinker.

Old 03-02-2018, 03:22 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,055,378 times
We've feed our two cats a diet mix of wet and dry cat food for years. I feed the wet (change flavors when they get tired of "the food of the day") twice a day half a can each. The rest of the day there is a bowl of known quality dry food. We keep the wet feeding times to a rigid, dependable, schedule that our cats know they will get food to the point they are parked in front of me at feeding time.

Note: We keep our cat food to one very reliable supplier......Purina. Our "babies" are always in excellent health!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats