Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2018, 04:12 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,151,429 times

Advertisements

My 10 year old cat, Chester, picks at his food, perhaps even more so than in the past. But he still loves (rarely available) freshly cooked beef and Temptations treats and seems healthy. I have tried several different top brands plus textures. I've even tried mixing in a little canned tuna. I'm concerned he will be underweight as he once was. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2018, 04:25 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
If it's been going on for more than a couple of days, it might be wise to take him to the vet. Could be any number of things, most of which would need a senior blood panel run to find. Could be dental problems also. I've always seen sudden changes in eating habits as a red flag that needs a vet check. I strongly suggest that's what you should do.
Hopefully it's something minor, and all paws crossed here that he's ok. Keep us posted.

Old 06-10-2018, 07:04 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
My 10 year old cat, Chester, picks at his food, perhaps even more so than in the past. But he still loves (rarely available) freshly cooked beef and Temptations treats and seems healthy. I have tried several different top brands plus textures. I've even tried mixing in a little canned tuna. I'm concerned he will be underweight as he once was. Any suggestions?

I was told by the vet tech to only give a piece of chicken or beef as treats, and if you can, buy the Greenies. They are healthier for the kitty. I give mine only once a day after she eats her 'normal' food in the morning, and it's become a habit now. She said the Temptations are n.g., full of salt & other chemicals and will spoil their appetite or worse, upset their tummy. Worth a try.

Old 06-10-2018, 08:54 PM

20,863 posts, read 9,518,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
The absolute worst thing you are doing is feeding him Temptations.

If you feed your cat meat, it should be raw.

Try this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC5HWMOQNps

Old 06-11-2018, 08:20 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,919,942 times
If Chester will eat freshly cooked beef, will he eat raw beef (or chicken/turkey/etc)? I give ours a treat of a chicken heart, gizzard, or liver every day and they love it.

Try warming the canned food a little, to see if that helps. Try serving in a shallow dish, in case a deeper dish is bothering his whiskers.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:59 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
My cats like Fancy Feast, pate classic....in case you want to try another canned...

Old 06-11-2018, 01:19 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
If it's been going on for more than a couple of days, it might be wise to take him to the vet. Could be any number of things, most of which would need a senior blood panel run to find. Could be dental problems also. I've always seen sudden changes in eating habits as a red flag that needs a vet check. I strongly suggest that's what you should do.
Hopefully it's something minor, and all paws crossed here that he's ok. Keep us posted.
Agree, it could be a dental problem or something else physically wrong.

Old 06-11-2018, 02:28 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,276,853 times
If your cat can handle it, mix a little bit of the senior cat 'milk' sold at Petsmart or bone broths at the holistic pet stores. Some people have success with those especially the milk. It is not KMR but milk made just for older cats who need to gain some weight. I tried it with mine but unfortunately he did not like it.

There is also dehydrated food that some cats seem like a lot, like Honest Kitchen. They come in complete diets, mixes for raw diets or toppers.

Freshpet is a more affordable option for cooked feeding. You can try that and see how he likes them. They come in sausages or kibble sized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats