Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 08:56 AM

17 posts, read 11,478 times

Advertisements

Who else talks to their Cats?

And do they really understand what we are saying

What are your thoughts and opinion on this ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2018, 09:19 AM

10,228 posts, read 6,309,606 times
Ask them if they want to EAT and see their reaction. Don't understand?

Old 10-25-2018, 09:20 AM

98 posts, read 167,562 times
To a certain extent. My 3 cats know when I'm calling them to dinner, they know their individual names. They can interpret tone of voice (warnings, adoration, etc).

But if I say, "Can you go fetch me that sock over there?" Not so much.

Old 10-25-2018, 09:20 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,552,551 times
Yes, I talk to my cats all the time.
Having a cat around to talk to, makes one look as though they are not talking to themselves

Old 10-25-2018, 09:21 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,186,164 times
When I say squirrel she runs to the window to see it. That is if she is up to it. Sometimes she rolls her eyes and says so what.

She definitely talks to me. If she wants can food she sits by the frig. Hard food, looks at hard food bowl and meows. Treat, she scratches on scratching post. Wants under blanket etc...she communicates very plainly. Plus there is the mind control.

Old 10-25-2018, 09:30 AM

20,361 posts, read 14,636,289 times
I think that Nimbus likes the sound of my voice. If he is in his carrier in the car, which makes him a very unhappy boy, he will cry and meow unless I talk to him. If I continuously talk to him though, he's quiet. Maybe it reassures him that his human is there with him in this strange place and it's ok. Or else he thinks it is rude to interrupt.

He understands his name, and he knows that "cat" and "floof" refer to him in some way also. And he knows what the phrase "feed the cat" means. Other than that, he pretty much will swivel his ears at the sound of someone talking to him, but not react much besides.

One thing I find interesting is if I say his name, he will stop what he's doing and look at me. I was sitting at the table the other day, and he got up on the table (which I'm ok with) but he was going to leap onto a shelf where I've got a bunch of dragon figures and candles and stuff (which I'd rather he didn't.) Every time he bunched himself up for a leap, I'd say, "NIMBUS." and he would relax his body and look at me and not jump. I didn't touch him or move, just spoke his name. We did this like 3 times and then he just jumped down off the table without ever going over to the shelf.

When I use my serious Mom voice, sometimes he will actually not do a thing I don't want him to do, and for some reason having to do with cats not being the most obedient little beasties ever, this completely impresses me about him.

Old 10-25-2018, 09:34 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Of course she understands what a question
But she does filter out a lot of what I say blah blah blah nice kitty blah blah blah have some milk blah blah blah

Old 10-25-2018, 09:46 AM

29,506 posts, read 22,620,513 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRkRl-FR5UU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb9w190yRSc

Old 10-25-2018, 11:55 AM

5,851 posts, read 5,275,259 times
Yes, I talk to my cats all the time and Yes, they understand-sometimes I understand them, too.

Scenario: In the morning, I read the Washington Post on my tablet sitting on my recliner chair in the living room. When I am done with the Post, I will turn off the tablet and go do other things. Some times I will have either one or two cats on the chair with me (usually on the arms of the chair). Sometimes Electra will climb on my lap. If I am done with the Post and there is a cat on me, I will just say, "Ok," and she usually will get up-no prodding at all-in fact, I don't even have to touch her. Just saying "Ok," does the trick.

They know when I call them.

In terms of talking to me, it is usually Electra. She is my most vocal cat. I will say to her, "Squeak" and she does. When she goes off on her talkative bouts, I will say things like, "Really? You don't say." or something like that.

Last year when we were putting Christmas away in the attic, she started walking up the attic stairs. I grabbed her and put her down in the hall. She let out a BELLOW and I totally heard her yell "WHY??!!!!" I looked at her and said, "Because I said so!" Hubby was there and he heard her say "Why?" also.

Cat

Old 10-25-2018, 12:13 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
My cat is much better at getting me to understand her than the other way 'round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats