Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 04:10 PM

33 posts, read 105,352 times

Advertisements

Having lived through this with a cat and a dog, my heart goes out to you. Go to yahoogroups and check for felineCRF and join. There is lots of support out there. It's creatinine and BUN that are critical. Sadly, there is no cure and by the time you find it, more than 90% of renal function is gone. You need to feed whatever your kitty will eat - some will tell you to modify the protein in the diet. Give your kitty 1/4 of a regular pepcid twice a day to stop vomiting (a common side effect of renal failure). Sug-Q fluids (mentioned by someone else) may become a necessity; these are available at relatively low costs through online services. In some cases, renal failure is manageable for a long time - I knew one person who had a cat with RF and kept him going for 7 years. Unfortunately, my girl was gone in less than 6 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 05:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,449 times
Today we had to make a terrible decision for our 16 year old Tabby. In the past week he became extremely ill. He would not eat, had a fever, vomiting, diarrea, but he drank a lot of water. He was cold and we had to wrap him in blankets. He lost 4 lbs. and that is a lot for a cat. He slept a lot! He suddenly could not walk, well lets put it this way he could take two steps and then rest for 3 to 5 minutes before he could take another step. He also had arthritis which could be partly the cause of his hind end problem. My husband & I took him to the vet, this morning, and we were told, after all sorts of test, he had end stage kidney failure. We both cried and cried and cried, because we did not want to make a choice, but again we did not want him to suffer. Now, it is over, and I am feeling guilty because we loved him so much and he loved us...did we do the right thing? Could he had lived and if so would he have had mostly good days?. Through the years I have put together a huge photo album of Tabby. I have video's ... Thank goodness we have all of that and his memories. We got home and the crying started all over, I wanted to sit down and put him in my lap, cover him with a blanket and have him snuggle up to me, but he is gone. I hope you do not have to make our decision...it is the doubt that kills us, even though the vet said it was the right one and one she would make if her cat suffered so much. She said there were two things she prays her cat never gets and they are; Cancer or Kidney Failure. My heart is with you and I pray your cat makes it through this, but if his quality of life fails...then maybe it is time. I have to keep telling myself that, "he is not in pain anymore". Sincerely, Kathy

Old 12-01-2010, 05:33 PM

54 posts, read 228,949 times
sadly most pet foods probably cause something like this to happen sooner or later.

most cat food sold on supermarket shelves is garbage.

Canned is a MUST avoid dry

instincts made by natures variety, is what I feed my babies and it works well for me. Instincts is grain free it also has no by products or perseratives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats