Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2021, 02:28 PM

714 posts, read 722,314 times

Advertisements

My house has a screened porch that serves as my cats' "catio." They do not go outside other than on the porch.

One of my cats in particular is highly territorial, and is prone to both redirected aggression and nonrecognition aggression.

There are a few neighborhood cats that come through my yard, and when they do, my guys go BONKERS -- bloodcurdling screams that could wake the dead. My territorial cat will sometimes attack the "beta" cat (with whom he is otherwise closely bonded). I have read about redirected aggression and how sometimes the attacked cat is forever a trigger for the aggressor cat.

I know that trying to get people to keep their cats indoors is a fool's errand. People get pissy about that, and with everyone on a hair-trigger today, why take the risk?

In an attempt to try to reclaim territory, I'm buying a Scarecrow motion-detector sprinkler to squirt cats that come into my yard. I've also ordered a toy Super-Soaker that I can use from the porch itself. I've also read that planting things like rosemary and lemon balm around the perimeter might help repel cats.

But here's my real question: It sounds disgusting, but hear me out. My cats use scoopable litter. If urine is used to mark territory, what if I collected the clumps and put them strategically around the perimeter of my yard? How long would the smell be detectable to people? I don't want to offend the neighbors, but if it's about marking territory, and my cats don't go outside, would that mark it for them and keep other cats out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2021, 07:30 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
Putting out litter will make the outdoor cats spray all over your property, to reclaim territory, do not do it!

I kept my trash barrel in the carport when I moved to my new house. I didn't put the actual house trash in it until the night I put the trash out for pick up the next morning, it is more convenient for me to keep the garbage in a closed metal can in the shed until then as the shed is next to the kitchen door. The trash pick u location is at the end of my driveway which is clear across the yard.

Anyway, in a few weeks the barrel started to pick up litter smells even so, and the local outdoor cats started peeing up my carport. It's a nightmare. I've had to put the barrel behind closed doors now, much to my great inconvenience, but they are still peeing up the carport on a regular basis.

I hope the motion activated sprinklers work for you. If not can you put perimeter fence around the porch, so the outdoor cats can't get close to the porch.

When I see one of the cats, I chase him out of my yard, but they come out at night.

Old 05-02-2021, 07:35 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,373,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackwriter View Post
My house has a screened porch that serves as my cats' "catio." They do not go outside other than on the porch.

One of my cats in particular is highly territorial, and is prone to both redirected aggression and nonrecognition aggression.

There are a few neighborhood cats that come through my yard, and when they do, my guys go BONKERS -- bloodcurdling screams that could wake the dead. My territorial cat will sometimes attack the "beta" cat (with whom he is otherwise closely bonded). I have read about redirected aggression and how sometimes the attacked cat is forever a trigger for the aggressor cat.

I know that trying to get people to keep their cats indoors is a fool's errand. People get pissy about that, and with everyone on a hair-trigger today, why take the risk?

In an attempt to try to reclaim territory, I'm buying a Scarecrow motion-detector sprinkler to squirt cats that come into my yard. I've also ordered a toy Super-Soaker that I can use from the porch itself. I've also read that planting things like rosemary and lemon balm around the perimeter might help repel cats.

But here's my real question: It sounds disgusting, but hear me out. My cats use scoopable litter. If urine is used to mark territory, what if I collected the clumps and put them strategically around the perimeter of my yard? How long would the smell be detectable to people? I don't want to offend the neighbors, but if it's about marking territory, and my cats don't go outside, would that mark it for them and keep other cats out?
I not sure that would do much good, and actually might have the opposite effect. It might work if the neighborhood cats are socialized and fixed, but if they're un-neutered males and/or feral I doubt spreading your guy's scent around the yard will deter them. It quite possibly may draw them in as a challenge of territory.
I usually have a few strays come through my yard during the year, and it's quite common for them to mark the same spots that were already marked by another stray.
But you could try it and see. I do sympathize with your problem. Good luck.

Old 05-03-2021, 11:05 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
One remedy I've heard people use is citrus peels. Apparently cats don't like them - my cats always backed away from my hands if I'd been eating an orange or lemon.

I don't know how long the effects of the citrus peels would last outside, though, or how many you'd have to use to be effective.

Old 05-03-2021, 11:07 AM

130,339 posts, read 12,112,869 times
Are they neighbors cats who wonder, or ferals? If feral, I suggest finding a TNR near you, & get them all neutered, it will at least cut down on the flow of kittens.

Old 05-04-2021, 06:25 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,925,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Are they neighbors cats who wonder, or ferals? If feral, I suggest finding a TNR near you, & get them all neutered, it will at least cut down on the flow of kittens.
It would also cut down on the spraying, as the urge to mark will be less without those hormones.

From an earlier post, I can attest that citrus peels do repell cats. Many years ago I used them around the Christmas tree. However, I'm guessing it would take many more to be effective outdoors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats