Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2021, 04:40 AM

3,430 posts, read 1,844,219 times

Advertisements

My cat likes to chew on power cords when they are plugged in.

I used to *think* he did it just to get my attention. Now I think he likes to..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2021, 04:58 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,585,079 times
Cover the cords. Some suggest using bitter apple spray I've never tried it so can't comment. I've seen an electrocuted kitten (I worked in a vet's office once, for three days. It was the kitten that decided me I was in the wrong job). Cover the cords and provide alternative chewing toys.

Old 07-15-2021, 05:22 AM

3,430 posts, read 1,844,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Cover the cords. Some suggest using bitter apple spray I've never tried it so can't comment. I've seen an electrocuted kitten (I worked in a vet's office once, for three days. It was the kitten that decided me I was in the wrong job). Cover the cords and provide alternative chewing toys.
I hope the kitten didn't die?!

I also decided I couldn't be a vet because I couldn't deal with the animals that you couldn't save.

I hope that kitty was ok!

Old 07-15-2021, 05:54 AM

1,626 posts, read 1,357,397 times
I had a cat that did that. She chewed only certain cords. I crumpled aluminum foil around them, and that stopped her. If it was more than a few cords, I would have bought cord covers.

Old 07-15-2021, 01:00 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,218,847 times
I guess that maybe they love the feeling of getting their teeth zapped by that electrical current? Idk.

Old 07-15-2021, 03:39 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,067,543 times
I don't know if it works for cats, but you can stop a puppy from chewing electric cords by coating the cords in Dawn dish detergent in the original blue color. They won't touch it and one coating is good for several months, unlike bitter apple which is only good for a couple of days.

Cats will chew on window blind strings, so it is something about cords and nothing to do with electricity.

Old 07-16-2021, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrioticSuperman View Post
I hope the kitten didn't die?!

I also decided I couldn't be a vet because I couldn't deal with the animals that you couldn't save.

I hope that kitty was ok!

Yes the kitten died. She was electrocuted. I'll spare you the details, but after I finished my day at the clinic I never went back.

Old 07-16-2021, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't know if it works for cats, but you can stop a puppy from chewing electric cords by coating the cords in Dawn dish detergent in the original blue color. They won't touch it and one coating is good for several months, unlike bitter apple which is only good for a couple of days.

Hmm. I have a cat who will eat soap. I know a lot of dogs who would too. If the pet isn't one of those, it's worth a try I guess, but it's a risk, because eating it could make them awfully sick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Cats will chew on window blind strings, so it is something about cords and nothing to do with electricity.

Old 07-16-2021, 02:55 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,192,224 times
The cat I have now like to chew on stuff sometimes. I have found very few chew toys for cats, Kong, that is known for dog chew toys have made a few for ats but I haven't seen any lately. She really likes rubber bands but once I found some in the cat box (poop) I was more careful with letting her have any. But she figured out what desk drawer I kept some in. If I left drawer ajar she gets at them.

See if cat would use some of the chews for small dogs. (My cat didn't like them)

Regarding the chewing of electric cords. Many years ago back when the home phone was not cordless most phones had a long curly cord. My friend cat would bite into every single cord and cord stopped working/had to be replaced. All her phones were wall phones and she would try to be sure the cord was out of reach. She had to keep a large supply because at least once a month the cat destroyed a cord. There is low voltage to those phones and we figured the cat got some kind of enjoyment from the tingle of low voltage zap. But new went after lamp cords and such. Maybe tried it and was too much.

She was not interested in chewing on them once there was no longer a current.

Last edited by Izzie1213; 07-16-2021 at 03:11 PM..

Old 07-16-2021, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
The cat I have now like to chew on stuff sometimes. I have found very few chew toys for cats, Kong, that is known for dog chew toys have made a few for ats but I haven't seen any lately. She really likes rubber bands but once I found some in the cat box (poop) I was more careful with letting her have any. But she figured out what desk drawer I kept some in. If I left drawer ajar she gets at them.

<snip>

I don't allow rubber bands in my house. I have a cat who would find one anywhere. They are extremely dangerous for cats, your cat was lucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats