Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2022, 03:20 PM

729 posts, read 1,313,391 times

Advertisements

Before he drinks, my cat howls and howls loudly.

His water is changed daily. I had a fountain and thought maybe there was a low level charge or maybe the water was too cold ( he’s a 16 year old Maine Coon).

I went out and bought him a nice large non electric bowl and fill it every day with lukewarm water. He drinks a lot but still howls; any ideas or suggestions, we can hear him all over the house.

Thanks for any insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2022, 04:01 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
If this is new behavior (especially his drinking "a lot") he needs to see the vet, and right away. Blood work and urinalysis to start. These, the howling and excess drinking, are symptoms of health issues such as kidney disease, hyperthyroid disease and diabetes.

Howling can also indicate high blood pressure (which would also indicate CKD and/or hyperthyroid) or deafness

Old 01-29-2022, 07:09 PM

Thank you I’ll take him Monday

Old 01-29-2022, 07:17 PM

2,618 posts, read 1,170,699 times
Catsmom21 is absolutely correct

I hope he is alright and it's just a little quirk he has.

Old 01-30-2022, 04:53 AM

457 posts, read 496,313 times
I've had two (still have one) howlers. Both were diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. The one I still have continues to howl (he's now also partially deaf since his dental last summer), but, it's usually when he has his toy squirrel in his mouth .

As Catsmom suggested, a vet visit is in order.

Old 02-15-2022, 02:59 PM

Went to the vet with Zeke and he spent 3 days there. They did blood work, hydrated him, took xrays, and just generally checked him out.

He was dehydrated (got intravenous), his kidneys rebounded. His liver #s were not great, not much we can do other than some medications (he's on a medication now for his kidney, his liver, his high blood pressure, and nausea along with an antibiotic. We're going back Monday, the 21st of February so the vet can do more blood work to see is his liver responds and to see if his kidneys maintain a good #. Vet checked him out to make sure he wasn't in any pain (he's not), so we'll just watch for any sign of discomfort. He seems happy, pretty hard of hearing but he's a senior with some of the senior issues (I know what that's all about). Thanks for the tips, will keep everyone posted. He's my baby!!!!

Old 02-15-2022, 04:37 PM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tla921 View Post
I've had two (still have one) howlers. Both were diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. The one I still have continues to howl (he's now also partially deaf since his dental last summer), but, it's usually when he has his toy squirrel in his mouth .

My hyperthyroid 16.5 year-old recent adoptee is a howler too. She lets me know when she wants food or pets - unfortunately it's often in the middle of the night so I have to trek down to the basement to take care of her wants. She's REALLY loud in the morning when her breakfast is due - wow! It's hard to believe a little 5 lb. body can be so loud.

Old 02-15-2022, 04:45 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tla921 View Post

THIS! My cat was diagnosed with thyroid issues last week, Vet gave me a bottle of thyroid pills. Her heart rate was "300", had an infected tooth and a fang had broken off. Vet said she wouldn't put the cat under anesthesia with such a heart rate, to remove the tooth. Gave her an antiobiotic injection to stem the infection.

She howls all the time - before/after box visits, cannot get enough food and never puts on weight. She is literally skin and bones. Vet said with the thyroid issue, the cat may not to be able to take in enough calories. Howls for "fresh" food multiple times a day.

Old 02-16-2022, 01:14 PM

2,071 posts, read 1,038,203 times
My cat howls at night sometimes but not anything to do with drinking water. She looks out the blinds and howls and moans so loud that it scares me to death. She has been fixed so I don't really know what she's up to. She will run to the door and get on her hind legs and try her hardest to turn the door handle to go out. So do they do that when another cat comes around their "turf" ?

Old 02-18-2022, 07:53 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMarcan920 View Post
Went to the vet with Zeke and he spent 3 days there. They did blood work, hydrated him, took xrays, and just generally checked him out.

He was dehydrated (got intravenous), his kidneys rebounded. His liver #s were not great, not much we can do other than some medications (he's on a medication now for his kidney, his liver, his high blood pressure, and nausea along with an antibiotic. We're going back Monday, the 21st of February so the vet can do more blood work to see is his liver responds and to see if his kidneys maintain a good #. Vet checked him out to make sure he wasn't in any pain (he's not), so we'll just watch for any sign of discomfort. He seems happy, pretty hard of hearing but he's a senior with some of the senior issues (I know what that's all about). Thanks for the tips, will keep everyone posted. He's my baby!!!!

Thanks for the update. I'm glad you had him in. Hope he copes with his meds okay. Keep us posted!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats