Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2022, 11:53 PM

164 posts, read 84,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durpie22 View Post
Well I've had her for over 2 months now and no one has tried to adopt her. I was going to drop her off for an adoption event but I couldn't get her in the cage. They never really told me I was supposed to keep her for a certain amount of time. It wasn't made clear to me. I always thought it was so they could have a break from the shelter and become more socialized.
When I adopted my two kitties, I went to the website that had their pictures and bios. It was a long list of kitties. They were all in foster homes and would be brought to the shelter to be picked up when someone adopted them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2022, 09:08 AM

8,816 posts, read 21,286,964 times
I am not sure that I would keep a cat that scratched me . None of mine ever did this.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 01-07-2023 at 12:17 PM..

Old 08-30-2022, 12:13 PM

41,967 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I am not sure that I would keep a cat that scratched me .
If that were the case, no one would ever have a cat.

Old 08-31-2022, 07:25 PM

17,537 posts, read 39,154,399 times
Helpful tip to get kitty in carrier - stand the carrier on it's end with the top door open. Lower kitty FEET FIRST and then quickly snap the door shut. This works for me every time even with cats that fight it.

Good luck!

Old 09-01-2022, 07:33 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,840,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Helpful tip to get kitty in carrier - stand the carrier on it's end with the top door open. Lower kitty FEET FIRST and then quickly snap the door shut. This works for me every time even with cats that fight it.

Good luck!

Don't forget to be holding the cat by the scruff of its neck and pinching its hind legs together.

Old 09-01-2022, 07:51 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Keep the cat yourself?
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
That's what I would do
That defeats the purpose of fostering, though.

I've "foster failed" a couple of times (out of maybe a dozen kittens/cats total), mind you... but the goal is to PREPARE them for their forever homes, and then pass them along so you can do the same for more kittens. If everyone just kept the pets they fostered, it might as well be an adoption program instead.

Old 09-01-2022, 07:53 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I am not sure that I would keep a cat that scratched me .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
If that were the case, no one would ever have a cat.
Haha, right? Truly aggressive/fearful behavior isn't ideal, of course, but every cat will scratch occasionally - whether in play, misdirected affection, or fear/aggression.

Old 09-08-2022, 07:38 AM

377 posts, read 275,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post

Good luck!
I tried that and the cat went crazy! I even wrapped her in a towel. She scratched me and put her paws out to stop from going in. I had to get her in with food.

Old 09-08-2022, 07:40 AM

377 posts, read 275,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
That defeats the purpose of fostering, though.

I've "foster failed" a couple of times (out of maybe a dozen kittens/cats total), mind you... but the goal is to PREPARE them for their forever homes, and then pass them along so you can do the same for more kittens. If everyone just kept the pets they fostered, it might as well be an adoption program instead.
Its also to give some of them a break from the shelter.

Old 01-06-2023, 10:23 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,671,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I thought fostering meant keeping until a home can be found?

If she's that afraid, returning her to the Humane Society doesn't sound very humane. She'll just go back to what she was before.
While at the Humane Society, we notice large bags of cat food from an unknown manufacture so it was no surprise when the 6 month old my DH wanted just flopped into my hands like a wet noodle. We suspected it was poor food she had been given. They claimed she had not medical issues and didn't turn over her record until the credit card was approved. We probably would have taken her anyway, but the deception about her medical issues really left a bad taste and we will never go near there again. Fortunately, our wonderful vet saw her the next morning and she has developed into a nice cat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats