Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2023, 04:50 PM

2,623 posts, read 1,170,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
She is back at the feeding site every morning and obviously has had her kittens. I'm pretty sure her "den" is up on a nearby hillside sheltered by thick Monstera plants. There is no way I could climb up there, so I will have to hope everything is going well. She doesn't seem stressed at all now.

I will look forward to seeing the kittens, but probably not until they are old enough to follow her down for breakfast.

She will occasionally rub against my leg, but if I try to pet her, she scurries away. Strictly feral, but not aggressive.
Ok then you know she is not in pain. If she were and one got stuck she would rubbing on her side from the pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2023, 07:05 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,593,936 times
Are there any Salvage stores near you? Mostly good wholesome food, but the packaging got somehow too unattractive for display. Half-price or better, your gain.

I once went to a California cannery and asked for a case if dented tins of fish. I got home and found I hat 48 tins of squid. Cat heaven.

Old 05-22-2023, 11:41 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
Ok then you know she is not in pain. If she were and one got stuck she would rubbing on her side from the pain.
She has 3 kittens. They are really cute, and tailless like their father. There was a short-lived issue with our high school kids catching the kittens and taking them to class all day. A reminder that they need to be with their mom-cat put an end to that. One of the kittens is especially inquisitive and comes out while the other two stay mostly concealed.

Several of us provide food. I took them another Costco rotisserie chicken this morning along with dry cat food. Arrangements have been made for the feeding to continue over the summer break.

Old 05-27-2023, 07:58 AM

747 posts, read 579,155 times
Hey, baby food is 1.25 and up for meaty goo and only 2.5 ounces! They like it.
I give my cat this to perk his appetite up.

Never thought I'd be in the baby aisle.

Old 05-27-2023, 08:23 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
I know! A couple of years ago I thought to make and freeze my own so I did some research. There are a few ingredients cats need that may not be in human food. Taurine is one. I also bought some bone meal to mix in.

I thought perhaps ground turkey would be a cheap protein but the price of that seemed high too.

There is a lot of mixed information, as usual, on what is healthy for them.

Anyway, they liked it okay but definitely prefer what we were giving them to eat more.

Old 06-01-2023, 04:39 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
I recently bought a case of cat food. I've fed raw to my cats for over 11 years, but I like to keep some canned on hand for emergencies. I feed about one can a week of it, to ensure she'll eat it and her body is used to it, in case of power failures or other emergencies. (I'm down to one cat now,I had three when I started raw feeding)

I just paid $70 for 24 5.5 ounce cans of my preferred brand. If I was feeding that exclusively this means it would cost me $90 a month.

I feed my cat certified organic, non-GMO Project Verified, Certified Humane meat that cost $7.99 a pound, at approximately 5 lbs a month (she's a tiny cat) $39.95. I am rounding up, she eats slightly less than that. I use a premix for balancing, EZcomplete, that averages out to $10 a month.

Total for raw feeding my cat with organic non-GMO Project Verified, Certified Humane meat - $49.95 a month.

Of course, there are other costs. I use more hot water, and a lot of dish soap, because not only do dishes have to be kept scrupulously cleaned, but the prep work also has a lot of clean up.

And there is a lot of work involved. Sometimes when I am very tired or my arthritis is acting up it's quite wearying.

And of course my vet hates me for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats