Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2023, 06:42 PM

2,667 posts, read 1,189,012 times

Advertisements

Geez 5 cats for a 77 year old is a lot but only for 2 weeks might work it depends on how your Mother is mentally and physically. Does your Mother have anyone coming in to check on her and help out with cleaning and making sure she eats properly as well as having some socialization? We had someone we knew could be trusted to come in my Mothers home 3 days a week and she helped with cleaning, food, and her kitty had the cleanest litter pan I ever saw. My Mother scooped but not empty and wash out the pan. She even helped her with taking the cat to the vet with her. They heavy in that carrier to carry from home to car.

A sitter I imagine is quite expensive. Even if she is house sitting and staying over night/all day that too I would think would be expensive.

Do you have a friend, relative or neighbor who could help you. Tell them use you TV watch what you have on it if you have paid channels. You have cameras so that is no problem to check in on them and call them maybe you can arrange them to keep kitty's in front of the camera when you call.

Me personally wouldn't like to have a stranger in my home and that would be the pet sitter to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2023, 10:12 AM

55 posts, read 29,750 times
I would choose option 1. Your cats are more comfortable where they live than staying elsewhere. Hope your trip goes well.

Old 04-22-2023, 05:34 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,131,779 times
Option one, your cats are older and like people, they can be resistant to change. They’re secure in your home and don’t need to be walked five times a day. Maybe a few new toys or fluffy bed would be welcome, but they should be fine.

Old 04-22-2023, 07:57 AM

130,418 posts, read 12,118,417 times
Leave them at home, where they are comfy. But I would think a daily visit would be better. Or else, as someone suggested, buy extra litter boxes, so they can still use them. They can be picky about litter boxes.

I have an acquaintance that uses petsitters.com. I think people will come & live in your home & look after the pets for free, as they are getting free accommodation. This can be a good option if you live somewhere that people would like to visit.

Old 04-29-2023, 03:02 PM

3,295 posts, read 9,190,713 times
We’ve left ours alone with pet sitters for up to three weeks. Daily visits, ours free feed the dry food but get fed wet when they get visited for their people interaction and cat boxes cleaning.

We either use neighbors or ask someone who works at our vet and does pet sitting to do it for us. The advantage of the vet tech, they already have permission with the vet to treat if necessary.

Old 04-29-2023, 04:03 PM

7,602 posts, read 3,260,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
We’ve left ours alone with pet sitters for up to three weeks. Daily visits, ours free feed the dry food but get fed wet when they get visited for their people interaction and cat boxes cleaning.

We either use neighbors or ask someone who works at our vet and does pet sitting to do it for us. The advantage of the vet tech, they already have permission with the vet to treat if necessary.
Oh, I never thought of the vet tech avenue. Good idea

Old 05-04-2023, 11:37 AM

1,200 posts, read 621,528 times
I would choose Option #1. I used to have 2 cats and when I would leave them alone (before I became a caregiver) I used to have a neighbor come in and feed them and clean their box twice a day.

My cats were cool to me as well when I returned but that only lasted a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats