Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2023, 12:03 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,883,485 times

Advertisements

WWYD?

My cat got shut in a bedroom and she peed on a new coat that was in there. I've washed it several times with oxy boost detergent and it still stinks.

I paid $35 for the coat. Is there a product that will take this cat pee smell out of my coat? Or should I just throw the coat away? I bought the coat when I weighed more so I don't really need it now that I'm back to my normal weight and my old coat fits.

Still, if I could get the pee smell out of it I might donate it. I just don't want to spend $35 dollars on deodorizers....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2023, 12:39 PM

2,977 posts, read 3,921,461 times
Detergent won't remove cat urine smell. You need to saturate it with an enzymatic urine cleaner, then let it air dry. As it dries, the enzymes do their work to remove the urine/smell. I do mean saturate--don't just spray some on the surface. It needs to soak through the entire jacket and lining.

Is it worth it? Depends on how much you want to keep this jacket. I'd give it a try if it were me, but then again I always have urine cleaner on hand.

Old 06-28-2023, 09:50 AM

2,331 posts, read 1,995,964 times
Totally agree with using one of the enzymatic pee-specific cleaners. Nature's Miracle is one brand, but there are others on the market now. You can also try the old original standby (pre-enzyme cleaners): white vinegar.

But for a $35 coat? I might question the value of the effort to save it. OTOH, you could offer it on a freebie site, and be upfront - "cat pee smell" - and let the taker put the effort in to cleaning it. Since they are getting a deal, it makes sense to put some effort in.

Old 07-04-2023, 04:58 PM

2,628 posts, read 1,173,205 times
Fizzion it is on Amazon

Old 07-07-2023, 07:38 AM

5,010 posts, read 10,686,308 times
What material is the coat? If it’s fur, take it to a professional.

Other materials will require multiple cleanings:

First cleaning: soak in very hot water with vinegar. Rinse thoroughly.
Second cleaning: soak in very hot water with Oxiclean. Rinse thoroughly.
Third cleaning: soak in very hot water with Woolite pet. Rinse thoroughly and hang dry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats