Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2023, 12:31 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times

Advertisements

Could it be the Canadian forest fire smoke most of us are experiencing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2023, 02:31 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,228,024 times
When my cat has allergies I give him half a zyrtec in a pill pocket. Seems to do the trick
My vet ok'd this

Old 07-05-2023, 04:58 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
^^^ This.

Cats can take some OTC human allergy meds. We used claritin on our Benny when he had allergy issues. But, I would not give any medication to our cat without discussing with the vet first. It may not be allergies.
This is the key. If you know without doubt that the congestion IS due to allergies, fine. The issue is not knowing or making no attempt to rule other things out before forcing meds on them.

Old 07-10-2023, 06:50 PM

3,422 posts, read 1,836,591 times
He seems to be doing better.

His nose is all full of boogers (Goldie too) and Snowball sometimes sticks his tongue out of his mouth and seems "out of it." For at least the past few days more like past week he has been "better" to the point I'm not concerned, or pouring olive oil on his nose or the GoldenPaw (that helped keep Snowflake alive another month or two.)

He seems okay.

Old 07-11-2023, 04:43 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrioticSuperman View Post

His nose is all full of boogers (Goldie too) and Snowball sometimes sticks his tongue out of his mouth and seems "out of it." For at least the past few days more like past week he has been "better" to the point I'm not concerned, or pouring olive oil on his nose or the GoldenPaw (that helped keep Snowflake alive another month or two.)

He seems okay.

Oh, those poor cats. Imagine being forced to live like this, with noses full of boogers, and olive oil poured on his face, all because someone refuses to get medical care for the cat.

None of what you said here is "okay". Feeling sick all the time is a horrible way to live. Sounds like your cats have very poor quality lives.

Old 07-12-2023, 09:06 AM

5,007 posts, read 10,684,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Oh, those poor cats. Imagine being forced to live like this, with noses full of boogers, and olive oil poured on his face, all because someone refuses to get medical care for the cat.

None of what you said here is "okay". Feeling sick all the time is a horrible way to live. Sounds like your cats have very poor quality lives.
Also, sounds like the OP is someone who should not have cats. Denying cats medical care = abuse

Old 07-13-2023, 03:36 PM

54 posts, read 32,931 times
Poor cats. It’s not normal to have discharge in the nose and they need an exam.

One of our cats has allergies in the form of skin irritation and asthma but he gets a medication for that from the vet. It’s not expensive.

Old 07-14-2023, 11:53 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,919,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrioticSuperman View Post

He seems okay.
I want to note that a cat who is panting or has his tongue hanging out (unless temporarily after a hard play session) is not normal. A panting cat is generally very stressed. Cats don't pant to sweat like dogs do.

I'm not sure what olive oil does for a congested cat either.

If your cat is still congested, please take him to the vet.

Old 07-19-2023, 05:10 PM

Today was a bad allergy day so I cleaned his nose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwR5Wir7V1Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-xnOPZRceE

Old 07-30-2023, 07:31 AM

Good news!! He is not really sticking his tongue out as much anymore! Didn't do any of the "antihistamine" approach yet but did do all else. Good boy!

Just an update.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats